• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Will Amphetamines help Opiate withdrawal?

... in regard to opiate withdrawal the one symptom I cannot abide is the kicking / RLS - it drives me insane; as such I find amphetamine alleviates this sensation and is therefore beneficial for me (but I agree that theoretically it is not a good option - I tried it out of desperation on one occasion otherwise doubt I would have entertained the idea

... in regard to opiate withdrawal the one symptom I cannot abide is the kicking / RLS - it drives me insane; as such I find amphetamine alleviates this sensation and is therefore beneficial for me (but I agree that theoretically it is not a good option - I tried it out of desperation on one occasion otherwise doubt I would have entertained the idea

Amphetamines don't really do much for much of the physical symptoms for me, including RSL. It can put me in a headspace where they are far more mentally bearable though. If opiate withdrawal was all physical, it would be an (uncomfortable) walk in the park. I'd prefer having the worst flu of my life while having an extremely harsh physical load placed on me (I've actually been through this when I got a bad flu when I was going through Marine boot-camp) over having to do moderately stimulating tasks during withdrawal. Boot camp was a miserable experience in a lot of ways; months of that shit beat having to get out of bed to go work a shift in the kitchen when the sickness is on. If I had a choice between going through that again and withdrawal, I'd choose the former.

jesus christ, amphetamines are a huge help. The depression is finally gone. You guys have no idea what i've gone through, basically im 19 and im hitting my rock bottom. It's time for me to really look at sobering up.

I just got knee surgery 6 weeks ago and Im taking high HIGH doses of Oxy and Dilaudid. I went in to the doctors today, and i had ran out of medication last night. I was expecting to be put on methadone and she totally sheisted me and wanted me to quit cold turkey. I fucking lost it. I was composed and everything but inside it felt like I hit rock bottom, it was such a lonely scary feeling.

Anyways. The amphetamines help, and im working out something else with my doctors.
How can she give you High Doses Dilaudid And Oxy,but just drop you? WHAT A FUC... CUNT,I WISH YOU LUCK!!!
Going thru alcohol cold turkey,Day 3,but cant give advice on Amps.I wouldnt even drink coffee,but yeah,some claim it helps.But those are full-on Meth heads,i would say dont.alone that insomnia...try to eat fruits and have a friend get you sumthing,even just codein or bunk dope

Kratom and Loporamide are the best thing ever for opiate wds and are easily available, IMO opiate WDs aren't particularly bad but I've been through GBL addiction for at least 2-3 months a year for the last 3 years and consumed at least 2.5L-3.5L of the stuff myself in the that time and nothing really compares to GBL wds but I have severe insomnia and I'm gonna try seeing if a low dose of amp salts will help me against all advice I read (I'm addicted to GBL atm too) but I find that personally amphet helps with my insomnia so much but so does smoking loads of crack TBH but I don't get "comedowns" from these things I just get a good nights sleep instead which is amazing for an insomniac, I need to sober up so I can try get a diagnosis for ADHD as I've been told I have it for years but I need to be sober for them to give be a diagnosis but I just want to have a legal way of taking amphetamines and benzos everyday and would much prefer getting dexys than racemic amphets. Now Meth-amphet and MDMA cause me quite bad comedowns but I'm okay with doses of normal amphet less than 50mg with breakfast and lunch, helps me sleep alot, not tried it for opiate wds as I've always had access to bupe, kratom, slow release morphine, oxys, DHCs, Hydromorphone, methadone.....etc so not really bothered, Although I do love mixing 25-50mg amphet with 4-12g of meang da kratom

OK - First - I know this is an old thread - so obviously what I am going to say isn't really for "OP" - just for anyone curious about this topic.

Second - I want to say, the following information is ANECDOTAL and YMMV

Third - I can't really be bothered going into great detail, so I want to say that you can do this horribly wrong and make your situation infinitely worse...

So, in my own personal experience and also from witnessing other people who I know well and finally, from hearing first-hand (as opposed to actually witnessing it) from other people I know well:

The very short answer is this: If you do it RIGHT, if you get the timing RIGHT and I guess if you actually enjoy stimulants and are generally NOT the sort of person who easily gets anxiety from stimulants, stimulant come-down and acute/brief stimulant related psychosis (*relatively* mild, of course. Acute, intense stimulant psychosis will bring down anyone.)

Stimulants can absolutely be used to get through opiate withdrawal. In my experience and my advice: I would only personally do this for short-acting opiates, I wouldn't recommend using stimulants to get through WD's from methadone or suboxone. Although, about a decade ago I had a girlfriend who successfully bypassed her withdrawals from 4mg, daily (over 6 months) of suboxone via frequent use of methamphetamine. She did experience some intermittent come-downs that were less than pleasant. But ultimately, she was able to completely come free of opiates, specifically 4mg/day of suboxone, via using meth multiple times a week, for about 8 weeks.

I don't advise the above, personally- I think it can and will be quite difficult to navigate through the WDs of methadone, using nothing more than stimulants. I'd be surprised if the situation didn't just become worse. I'm currently reducing from methadone and I can say that using stimulants is most-definitely NOT in my game-plan for the end-days. Then again, I do NOT ever use stimulants any more any how, beyond coffee.

But I have personally had GREAT experiences of bypassing the WDs from heroin use, by essentially staying 'high' on methamphetamine for a couple weeks (with some sleep thrown in here and there, which wasn't actually difficult to obtain, the sleep was on the days where literally I wouldn't have been able to stay awake if you paid me.)

But I wouldn't bother posting this thread if it was ONLY my anecdotal experience with heroin WDs. But the fact of the matter is, I have A ) WITNESSED someone come off suboxone with this method. I've WITNESSED two people other than myself use this to come off heroin. And I've heard first-hand from three or four others that they've also been able to do this with heroin.

In every case, the specific stimulant has been methamphetamine.

Finally - this is ALL anecdotal. I have no idea if it will work for you. I have no idea if it works more often than not. I have no idea if it's more common for people to make their situation worse. I have no idea on the health implications. All I have is a handful of - positive - anecdotal, experiences using methamphetamine to successfully stop using opiates, without experiencing the bulk of the WD symptoms (by way of masking the symptoms with said stimulant).

If you've ever had a cold (or flu-like symptoms) and then taken meth, you'll probably find that for 24 hours or so, you'll feel great, like you're not sick at all (although, to observers, you probably look like the walking-dead) and then during the come-down and the days following, you feel even WORSE than you did prior to taking the dose.

So - with that in mind, you probably want to devise a game-plan that ensures you do NOT end up stacking the worst of the stimulant come-down, sleep-deprivation, anxiety and/or psychosis : with the worst of the opiate WD symptoms. Because that sounds like hell on earth.

Anyway - it is what it is.

And my final thoughts: I don't use stimulants anymore, having used them only twice in the last 6 or 7 years. So I would never do this now. And personally, I think methamphetamine addiction is by FAR worse than opiate addiction. AND - given this is a harm-reduction forum. Despite everything I have said. I do NOT think people should use this method. I think there's a LOT to go wrong. And at the end of the day, using powerful stimulants to overcome the WDs of powerful opiates; it doesn't take a fucking genius to figure out this is stupid and not the best or the healthiest way to overcome your addiction. It also demonstrates you're probably not even ready to overcome your addiction.

In fact - ONE MORE FINAL THOUGHT: In every single case I have mentioned, EVERY SINGLE CASE, the person relapsed eventually. Sometimes not for a year or more. But ultimately, every single person, self included, who used meth to get off heroin, ended up back on the gear eventually. So - if you're going to take in all the positive stuff I said, I think it's worth considering this too: It was never *truly* successful :(

I've had more experience now with this and I say for sure they can help if used right. For me that means very low doses of methamphetamine (like, 30mg orally or something) - or a bump of fishscale if I really need it. If I am fiending for dope a month clean, it's really tough but I'd much rather take some speed or coke than relapse. Right after the part where you start feeling alive again but are overwhelmed with a disaster zone around you from weeks of total neglect, and don't have the energy to do anything. For example if I am too tired to cook dinner I will do a key bump and get that done. I have had to suffer to the point that I have wanted to die to escape it at times though, there is no magic cure.

I agree that it helps. I did herone for a few months(@one time splitting 8 ball daily with my ex), then I got the stuff I just seen on the new with carfetinal. I wanted to go first because I wanted the bad instead of giving, well he and I split a half point (we was sick my friend gave us this free) with dude. I recall his attempt to ask how I felt, I just said oh sh@t this is bad...then I died, my ex said my body locked and my jaw also did. He said I began convulsing and foaming at the mouth, then it suddenly stopped. I was blue and motionless. He tried ice, no response. He went to the neighbors,they issued a 911 call and emergency crew began the fight to bring me back...3 narcan shots later my ex is asking if I'm going to make it and they are responding it don't look good, boom I awaken to police and the intial thought ( this stupid mother fu+#ker call the police on me wtf? Then I seen his face and remembered...I went to the methadone clinic next day, 6 months in and 110 mg. I cut it cold turkey...day 24 no sleepexcept when using stimulatants I think it wears me down. So this is a prolonged detox but I could say it benefited me

I find I may one day need Opiates to relieve Dexedrine withdrawal. They seem pretty cross interchangeable to me, could add a tiny crumb of Sub, avoid all amp w/d symptoms

For some reason, Adderall is very dysphoric without using buprenorphine. I think amphetamines are horrible for opiate withdrawl, amps. Make me feel every ache and pain from the opiate withdrawl itself. If you must , avoid Adderall as the Last L-AMP

Dysphoric for you? Surely you don't mean dexamp is not euphoric for anyone unless they take bupmyass?

Disclaimer from a former dexamp tweakstar:

More than one day in a row asks for unwanted peripheral effects. Orally heavy dosing that is. Parachute a dex bomb but only once, then insufflate until you manage to stop yourself.

What I mean is, Adderall TO ME is very dysphoric when taken during opiate withdrawl,it feels like a five hour crash, horrible.
As far as taking amphetamines without Suboxone in my system, that too feels like being on too much speed and zero euphoria.,but if I got sub in my system, yes it's enjoyable. I guess it all boils down to taking amphetamines for opiate withdrawl:, for me it's highly uncomfortable, which explains why k can't enjoy amphetamines unless I have a Suboxone cause I must be going thru a mild opiate withdrawl. Point is, it sucks for opiate withdrawl. Now, taking crystal meth during opiate withdrawl actually helps me forget that I'm even opiate sick to begin with, and doesn't aggravate any withdrawl symptoms obviously can cause it lacks L Amp or D amp.

I find I may one day need Opiates to relieve Dexedrine withdrawal. They seem pretty cross interchangeable to me, could add a tiny crumb of Sub, avoid all amp w/d symptoms

Not a good idea. That's how I got hooked on opiates. It'll help immensely but once you get to the point of getting off opiates and feeling that withdrawal, you're gonna be praying it was just an amp crash. I know it's hard but I'm in the process of withdrawing from opiates (deep in the PAWS stage now) and used amphetamine to help fight me through. The amp crash sucked in the midst of the opiate withdrawals but was just icing on the cake. Opiate withdrawals are far worse. Take the shitty five day crash and you'll start feeling a lot better with or without the opiates and not opening the box to fucking getting into a far deeper hole.

Personally i say hell no, i used neurontin to help me from heroin wd and sub wd, i wouldn't ever take stims like coke or amphetamines because for 1, even though stimulants were my second fav drug class, i wouldn't use them for opiate WD for starters, they suck opiates out of your body quickly, it would make the WD effects come alot quicker and harder, second of all, stims mimic alot of the bad wd effects, increased blood pressure and heart rate twitching etc etc, i imagine only thing you would notice is your leg moving 200mph instead of 50 mph, try avoiding alot if any comfort meds, alot backfire, for me neurontin helps enough and no comedown to add on to the wd or any mimicking effects, good luck!

You are totally correct.
Things like Dexamphetamine, Ritalin and Meth help with opiate WD greatly!
It will actually keep you more comfortable and in control. Sleep might be a little hard tho. And it helps heaps with the restless legs.
I say go for it.

Might take your mind off it, otherwise, can't really recommend it.

-->Archive// nope, changed my mind.

About moving it, I mean. Didn't realize this was a steady, lengthy single thread, good for merging into.

I would recommend some l-tyrosine daily and maybe some weed and low dose of benzos for the withdrawals

Yes taking some adderall when in opiate withdrawals help me make it thru the work day . Just gave my body energy . When I dont have my Oxys I just feel so weak and can barely have energy to walk and drive, the adderall helped get me up and going . I just split a 30 Er adderall into 2 and take 15 mg in the very early am. Gave me a terrible cotton mouth though. And you have to take it very early in am so the come down will be right around the time you want to sleep at night . Never take adderall past 10-11 am if you want to try to sleep later .

Last edited: