• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Will Amphetamines help Opiate withdrawal?

I find amp helps, I hate the stuff - ur gonna have insomnia anyways, u won't get the depression/suicidal thoughts, it tenses up ur body, so u don't get the muscle spasms, & it kinda distracts u from the chills/crawling skin. U won't get the sweating, becuz that only happens when u try & sleep. Just don't go overboard, by the time it wears off - u'll b 2 tired & just sleep through the 3r day. IDK about u, but one hit will keep me up for like 2days. Hopefully ur WDs don't last more than 3days. Amp is a last resort 4 me, Drs won't help u WD, so u gotta find other means. Or trick them to prescribe u what u need, Valium, tramadol (synthetic opiate), clonidine, diarrhea pills (get a lot), hydrate, try & eat, take vitamins. Make sure u sleep wit a towel, cuz ur gonna b sweating buckets.
I'm on week 7,
BS when will PAWS
B over ?

Shroomy - LoL - I def hate uppers, but when ur WDing. U know ur brain wants some sort of high, u know ur not gonna sleep, & when u do try & sleep everything gets alot worse. Also, ur muscles feels all jello-y - So it makes sense to take amp. It satisfies ur brain, keeps u awake, suppress ur appetite, so ur not on the toilet all day, & it tightens ur muscles, so u don't have 2 spend all day hitting ur arms n legs 2 get relief from that doughy feeling. Does nothing for bone pain though, that ur gonna have to remedy by tapering self down to the lowest level. B4 u decide 2 WD. In a nutshell...

I'm new to this, joined today. Anyway, I'm coming off oxy and on day two and been taking meth as you have suggested. I couldn't sleep last night because my legs were so restless (i suffer from RLS most nights regardless of wd's so this is a difficult one for me although I take Ropinrole for it), anyway, tonight I'm feeling confident of sleep. Thinking I've got enough for tomorrow and maybe Thursday if I'm careful (meth). I started with .3-.4 of a gram yesterday so not going crazy with it in the slightest.
So glad I read your post. The one thread i've done was asking advice and others rushing to say-yeah, its a great way to do it, you'll be fine, i did it too and it worked a treat...etc etc and although I completely understand why most have recommended not going there, it doesn't change the fact I'm on day 2of wd and feel like it's my only option.
Fucking sad is what it is. Me in this state. It's an odd headspace, but I'm functioning.
Here its hard to get any prescribed help without going onto a database and end up chased by support workers and end up with a flag against your name anytime a doctor cares to look. But you can get anything cooked pretty easy. The reason i ended up on oxy's was a fluke, I thought i was lucky at the time. Fucking druggie idiot I am.
anyway, your post has helped. i don't know exactly how this is going to pan out but i do know I'm in this to win it and i've been able to work and be there for my kids today and without the meth i'd be sick in bed.
I didn't plan on the withdrawal until saturday, i just have had enough. its time i got straight and tried to figure stuff out.

Shroomy - LoL - I def hate uppers, but when ur WDing. U know ur brain wants some sort of high, u know ur not gonna sleep, & when u do try & sleep everything gets alot worse. Also, ur muscles feels all jello-y - So it makes sense to take amp. It satisfies ur brain, keeps u awake, suppress ur appetite, so ur not on the toilet all day, & it tightens ur muscles, so u don't have 2 spend all day hitting ur arms n legs 2 get relief from that doughy feeling. Does nothing for bone pain though, that ur gonna have to remedy by tapering self down to the lowest level. B4 u decide 2 WD. In a nutshell...

It is fairly amusing. I never saw myself while growing up using methamp to mitigate H withdrawal. That wasn't really on my list of goals in life. It totally works, but then you have to come down from the speed at some point, which of course there are benzos for. I don't want to end up addicted to uppers either so I'm taking a break from this for a little while... this would be the dumbest way ever to get hooked on coke or meth, and exactly what would happen to me come to think of it. Whenever I want a quick break from opiates to save a few doses or whatever... I'll dose this stuff or binge on C for a day. It's so much better than not doing it, for me anyway, because I am otherwise so depressed that I will not move from bed. With this stuff I can shuffle around and do stuff, keep myself hydrated and well nourished, do some yoga exercises, pick up my guitar - not much, but it's better than writhing around on a bed in physical agony for days / weeks on end while having trouble doing basic things like pouring a glass of water and showering seems an impossibility.

And at the end of the day that shit isn't really addictive the same. I hardly have a tolerance so I've gone through a half-gram of very pure C all winter long in utilizing this method, and just a handful of speed pills. Nothing crazy... I don't think I'd smoke meth personally, really needing to watch my dose with uppers as it would most likely give me a panic attack. I never really used any stims at all before this so my tolerance is super low.

Although, meth seems to chill me out in a way, and makes it easier to socialize so I've been using it to help me hit on this girl I am crushing on. I have grown quite fond of the stuff, but, already being a benzo and heroin addict I should probably give it a rest for fucks sake. How many more addictions can I get. Although, I am pretty good with this one, limiting it to once every week or two unless I'm low on opiates.

3 day withdrawal? I have been using opiates chronically for 5 years. The acute withdrawal lasts at least 2 weeks - more like a month to fully subside - and then I am left with a lifetime of misery, mental illness, and spinal agony. I'm just choosing to use these days as I can't handle it, but I still pop a speed once every week or two, or do lil bumps for a day or 2 - a reminiscent effect of using these things to mitigate withdrawal symptoms. I realized that I do in fact enjoy some of their properties, enough to use them for fun, sociability, and productivity on an occasional basis. I can't quit opiates, so that's all this really did for me. haha. And if you are desperate and need something to hold you over...

Jokes aside it really does help though if you're desperate just take them. When I'm low on opiates, I take speed daily now until I get my supply back at which time I lose interest in speed. It's such a fucking brutal fucking miserable god damned suicidal nightmare anyway, and besides my sleep schedule is right fucked, that I may as well get a hit of this stuff. Coke does not work anywhere near as well because it is good for that hour and then there is trouble. I find it's good for extending the duration of time I can hold off in between doses, stretching it out by a couple hours by doing a few bumps when I'd normally redose my opiates. Although, normally I just use these recreationally and watch my opiate use while I'm high on them at least a bit.

Meth has a special magic to it that is similar but better to Mdma in my opinion. It is much less intense black magic, but more controllable black magic. So I've grown quite fond of the stuff. It doesn't do much for pain, yeah, and probably lowers my brain cell count quite a bit as well. Oh well. Life of a junkie keeping secrets, telling lies, pretending that everything is right when everything is horrible wrong.

I can't fucking stand that jello-y muscle feeling, especially in my upper arms. Miserable withdrawal symptom. I don't really feel it when I'm on meth nor do I get restless legs so bad. Amphetamines in opiate withdrawal has gotta be up there on the list of "you know you're a druggie fucking junkie when...." - it really would only make sense to a junkie, but to me it's almost common sense at this point. It's not a miracle cure though. You'll still be either waiting for your next fix or waiting out the withdrawal. Just on speed. I make sure to take the speed orally, it's crazy stim and I have limited experience with stimulants. Weed doesn't help me no more. Let there be speed.

Last edited:
Here its hard to get any prescribed help without going onto a database and end up chased by support workers and end up with a flag against your name anytime a doctor cares to look.

Fuck, I wonder if that has happened to me. Ganging up on people with drug habits never works out very well. Good to hear the speed has helped you. Oxy withdrawals can be pretty brutal and long lasting depending how long you've been using.

Yes tehy help. I quit 2 years opium with amphetamine, used it for 1 month every day and slep with benzos and seroquel, also used GHB. so its good way to stop if you can do it.

I'm 33 days clean now. Cause it is after 12 here in NY detoxed myself found it hard and did a quick ween off subs. Adderall is a miracle drug and I highly recommend it to those who candle handle the upper when weening down on a lower dose of bupe to get off. With the addies I would of never been able to do it. I'm forever thankful. I find adderall to be a miracle drug. But what works for some may not work for others. I'm just telling my story. I was 8 years fed up of doing oxycodone I had enough. This time, bc i wanted to do it. I got it done. And with the help of adderall. So I strongly recommend it. But, again, everyone is different and what works for some don't work for others

Yup. That's how i did it adderall and Kpins of xanax. But I didn't want to substitute one thing for another so I kind of cut the xanax off quickly. Didn't need another headache. But again some can do stuff for longer periods of time I may be one of those people. But I didn't want to take a chance.

I didn't read this thread, but to answer the original question, no. Why would amphetamines ease opiate withdrawal? They act on entirely different bodily mechanisms. Are you thinkin just because one is and upper and the other is a downer, that they will magically counteract the other's effects?

Not condoning inthe least, but just a personal experience. Igot so fed up with spending so much on oxy a few months ago that i set a date to stop. I didnt want Subs or an opiate replacement, so I bought some adderall from a friend to just see if it helped. I dont know if it was just a distraction, placebo, or if it just supressed the physical withdrawal, but it actually got me through it. I later read some comments on a different post about needing to feel the WDs so you remember why not to go back. I agree with that fully, but I had just went through so many that I was weak this last time. I do need to mention, however, that a few days later (like 20) I just wanted to get high again. In my twisted mind I reasoned that I did NOT want opiates and I had used addys with no problems, so why not have fun with a little meth? I had fun. Lots of it. Started doing a little every day for over a week until some wise comments on here caught up with me and made me flush it. No offense to the speed guys, I just have a problem that lets the drugs use me instead of the other way around. Good luck and stay safe.

Good job on the flush man. You should be proud.

I was not so smart, last time I tried to use stimulants to get through opioid withdrawal I found myself quickly addicted to stimulants. Just traded one addiction for another.

So for me it helped. But I was still addicted, just to stimulants (MDPV) instead of opioids (buprenorphine). My chose of stimulant was poor since MDPV is wickedly moreish but Im positive any stimulant would have likely had the same outcome with me.

I have found doing coke after probably day 3 or 4 helps me tremendously with the lack of energy and depressed mood but I wouldn't want to try it any sooner than that. I use clonazepam, clonidine and zoplicone to put myself into a chemical coma for 3 days and once I return to the living on day 4 I can eat and that makes a huge difference. After a big meal I'll do some small bumps of coke and things are just dandy. I continue coke for 3 or 4 more days, using benzos to sleep, then stop all meds after 1 week. Thus makes for the easiest detox in my experience.

A quick update. My eyes are watering like crazy but the painful wds are almost non existent compared with last time (without amphetamine ). I have just started to feel the aches and the legs are starting to get that mind of their own, so I have bombed around half g of base. I will let you know how that works later (unless I give up and chase that dragon, in which case, ill post next time I try...)

Ended up completely disregarding the avice that everyone across the board agrees which is no ck and even more so no crk(smoking), weeell, I had started to have fierce aches allover so I thought fk it, gotta be better than how I feel now! And it did work up to a point but the thought of what next is loming fast

ahhh, feck it. cold turkey settling in and id need a big hit of phet to take this away. its not worth it. so, in conclusion, it helps for the first 2 days but when the heavy stuff comes, you gonna have to sweat it out along side record nos of sleepers of course...

anyone know anything about zopiclone sleeping pills? they are pretty strong and leave a tin like taste in your mouth. apart from that I know nothing, so best to ask before I start taking copious amounts tryin to get to sleep later. just dropped 4 to combat the wds and the remnants of smoking that rubbish.fingers crossed...

Any info on zopiclone would be greatly appreciated.

here over ;0

I use zoplicone all the time for withdrawl and they work great even with a small dose of benzos. I usually take 2 of the 7.5mg blue pills. They don't exacerbate the RLS either.

I was discharged from my methadone clinic after 17 months of 100mgs on Monday, the worst of the wd''s started on friday, today is Monday, im really sick man, i hate those electrical like synapse jolts my body has from these wd's, sorry but thats the most discriptive way i can explain it, the deppression is the capper though, its so bad, so yesterday i get ahold of a box, i do it and it was weird, it kinda helped but not like i thought, it sorta put me in worse physical wd but did help the mental part, so today my girl called and said qué was gonna bring me 5 adderols, ive never taken them b4 but she swears it will help, see i read these comments and had to join the group, alot of you i can tell know wtf ur talking about and had been thru it, having said that im that guy who wd's so bad that whatever will fix me now and take me outta this hell, kinda like being in jail and wanting to get out si bad youll swear anything to a friend to bail you out and take the consequences later, see my theory is that if i can make it just a few more says then the methadone wd's should hopefully be almost over, oh and im also coming off xanax, but i think it should be done by now, ive been in wd hell man, anyways i guess im gonna try the adderrol, hope i spelled it right, ill get back to yall and tell ya how it went, hopefully.

If you are coming off both methadone and alpraz (how did you come off methadone? Administrative taper, proper longer taper or C/T? Are you tapering the alpraz?) I'd really recommend not taking anyamphetamine.

Some people seem to benefit with small doses of stims like methamphetamine, but stimulant use during acute opioid withdrawal can be very unpleasant. I always found amphetamines other than methamphetamine to be more trouble than they're worth during opioid withdrawal. And stimulant use during gabaergic withdrawal is downright dangerous.

Drugs that will help you coming off methadone include: buprenorphine, tramadol, dihydrocodeine, diazepam, clonazepam, gabapentin, baclofen, pregabalin, clonidine, ropinirole, kratom and to a lesser extent loperamide. Can you get any of these meds?

Doctors routinely prescribe gabapentin, diazepam and clonidine for acute methadone withdrawal, with buprenorphine just now being recognized for its importance in helping people transition off methadone. Tramadol detoxes are a bit less well known but have become a practice recognized as effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only give you an answer based on my experience. I believe meth sent me further into withdrawal. I also believe that the comedown from the meth made my depression from the withdrawl twice as bad. One of my worst symptoms of withdrawal was always not being able to sleep, that being said I believe meth is a horrible thing to take while trying to be as comfortable as possible during my witdrawl. I hope my answer helps you. Have a great day!

It's always been a help to me and has made things better and never worse. I'm one of those guys who uses poppy seed tea primarily as my opiate of choice as it is more convenient, cheaper, and a less involved habit. I've copped heroin in Philly plenty of times (which has some of the best dope in the world) and I've never really gotten much of a noticeable effect from it. Percs and any pills have been good when I've found them but the duration of action is too short and they're way more expensive than they're worth on the street. The problem with the poppy seed tea is that it does have a very long duration of action (withdrawal doesn't really set in for around 36 hours) for whatever reason and the acute stage of the withdrawal seems to never end. I've never been a particular fan of the rush and drug use has always been about practicality to me and when it comes to amps (including crystal meth), I prefer to take it orally.

It's kind of funny because I was never much of a drug user (though I drank heavily for years) until I was prescribed adderall and that eventually drove me to opiate usage after the amps went from euphoric bliss to a bottomless nightmare. Obviously, amps don't have quite the same effect on me as they did early on so it's not QUITE as effective but as long as I'm not using them on a regular basis (which I have no desire to do anymore), they'll give me the mental fortitude to push through but I have to try and moderate usage. I'd very much prefer meth over adderall but the only reliable stim you can find on the streets of Philly is crack and I've never even had the slightest bit of curiousity to try crack as I've mostly hated doing powder coke in the past. Anyways, the amps were perfect when their effect on me was better in the early stages of my experience with them and I wouldn't even notice that I was jonesing from the opiates. Now, my body will ache, the restless legs will kick in and out, I feel like I just get comfortable, and I'll be so worn down at times that I feel like I will collapse if I take another step (I think the amps will actually make this worse over the days). The dramatic difference is that my mental state will allow me to continue pushing and I'll have the fortitude to just suck it up and do what I have to do (work, chores, errands, kids, social engagements). Only problem is that I usually need to push it beyond 7-10 days to be in the clear so I'll need a good amount and coming down off of that needs to be staggered and tapered or I'll have a really rough time with that. The only other drug I've found to be very helpful was Lyrica but I'll need to take like at least 750mgs just for a semi/full day of relief and it's not something flooding the streets and builds tolerance fast. I've never really tried anything else besides a rapid sub-taper and ibuprofen/acetaminophen. The sub taper (8, 6, 4, 2mg doses) works well but I always get smacked with really bad depression after 7-10 days along with physical symptoms that come and go.

Your best option is to get yourself into an inpatient and dry out for a bit so you can be a little more normal when you go back into the world. You're gonna suffer no matter what (unless you have the most disciplined long-taper strategy out there) and it's better to do it in a place where it's gonna take more than just a split second poor decision to fire you right back into it.

I think the trick is to just use just enough meth/ amphetamines to counter withdrawls, not blast off into euphoria. I always made that mistake when withdrawing from IV hydromorphone. I'd be sooo depressed I'd take too much and be tweaking in no time and thus 'need' an opiate to come down

Whilst this is in no way a miracle cure and the question of substitution needs to be raised also; I have smoked ice through H withdrawal and found it to be preferable to cold turkey by far.

Through bitter experience I have found the only way to get through heroin withdrawal is to accept that one is simply not going to sleep for a minimum period of 3-5 days and during this time the best thing is to treat the symptoms with OTC medicines ie immodium. ibuprofen etc.

It was purely by chance that I 'tried' using ICE in that I was offered it at the 36hr mark and truly did find it to be a welcome alternative to the way i was feeling prior.

From a professional medical standpoint I am sure it would not be a recommended path to take but personally I found that the gram I went on to procure served to get me through to the end of day five and the natural alleviation of my withdrawal symptoms.

Through this random method (I also had benzos), I was able to complete a detox and did so without substituting one habit for another.

Its probably not for everyone, its not something I planned, but compared with the alternative it was preferable for me.