• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Wild Dagga - Leonotis leonurus (Is it dangerous? MAOI?)

Tetrisman

Greenlighter
Is this herb dangerous in combination with foods that typically can be a problem/cause ilness or death. As in is it a MAO Inhibitor?

If it is, is it weak enough that I do not need to worry?
Have you found any research papers on this subject that deals with dangerous interactions?

Like all "Cannabis" ish drugs, I tend to get munchies. Even if the actual plant has not been reported to actually cause munchies, anything that is even slightly similar to cannabis tends to get me into a munch-ish mindset (Placebo).

I've tried researching myself on google scholar like one person suggested to another person when he asked about several different drugs. But I cannot read chemistry. I know Fe is Iron basically. But I know nothing about how it works etc.
Something about Ki Affinity (Makes no sense to me and all papers I found did not contain that word)

Especially when you see things like FeBa2 or whatever. It tells me absolutely nothing and I do not understand it, so I just wanted to ask you fine folk who do know their stuff. And would like to clear this once and for all.
It's funny really. Ask me about computers and I will know fairly well what is going on, and programming in general. But ask me if and when a metal bends. Or if something is dangerous to combine with something else and I am like a newborn baby with zero knowledge. It's frustrating to not know. I just want to sit down. Eat some good food, take a hit and relax for once and stop freaking/stressing.

I'm not sure what you are asking. What drug are you considering using, and what are your concerns with it?

I'm not sure what you are asking. What drug are you considering using, and what are your concerns with it?

https://erowid.org/plants/leonotis_leonurus/leonotis_leonurus.shtml

BOTANICAL CLASSIFICATION
Family :
Lamiaceae (Former: Labiatae)

Genus :
Leonotis (Former: Phlomis)

Species :
leonurus (or Leonorus)

COMMON NAMES
Lion's Tail; Wild Dagga
EFFECTS CLASSIFICATION
Sedative; Intoxicant
DESCRIPTION
Leonotis leonurus is a shrubby perennial growing 2-3 meters tall and producing red, orange, yellow, or white tubular flowers. The dried flowers, when smoked, provide a mild sedation reminiscent of Cannabis. They have a history of use in S. Africa as an intoxicant.

leonotis_leonurus_summary1.jpg

Claimed on another forum:

[SIZE=-1]SWIM has found a little gem relevant to this discussion and has tried to make it a little bit easier to for You to read. The pharmaceutical information is near the bottom.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]LEONOTIS LEONURUS HERBA[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Definition[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Leonotis herba consists of the dried aerial parts of Leonotis leonurus (L.) R. Br. (Lamiaceae).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Synonyms[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Phlomis leonurus L.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Leonotis leonurus (L.) R. Br. var. albiflora Benth.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Vernacular names[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]wilde dagga (A), lion's ear, minaret flower (E), unfincafincane (X), lebake (S), umhlalampetu (Sh)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]DESCRIPTION[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Macroscopical[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Shrub 2-5 m tall, branching from a thick woody base; stem pale brown and densely pubescent; leaves simple, opposite, petiolate, coriaceous, 50-100 ´ 10-20 mm, linear, acute at apex and base, serrate in the distal half; upper surface bright green, lower surface densely pubescent; inflorescence of 3-11 compact verticils; calyx 12-16 mm long, 4 mm in diameter, calyx teeth 10, subequal, spreading; corolla tubular, bright orange, 40-49 mm long, covered with orange hairs; fruit a nutlet 5-6 ´ 1.5-2 mm, brown.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Microscopical[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Characteristic features are: the numerous uniseriate, curved, thick-walled, warty, 2-3 celled non-glandular trichomes of leaf and stem, 60-100 m in length, particularly abundant on margin of lamina and main veins of lower leaf surface; the numerous glandular hairs of leaf and stem, with unicellular stalk and 4-celled head (up to 20 m in diameter) and yellow-brown contents; the less numerous glandular trichomes of leaf lamina, with unicellular stalk and 6-8 celled head, thick-walled, head about 40 m in diameter; cells of the lower epidermis with sinuous walls and striated cuticle, lacking stomata; cells of the upper epidermis with sinuous walls and numerous raised anomocytic stomata; single palisade layer; abundant crystal sand in cells of the mesophyll; occasional yellow hairs of the corolla.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Crude drug[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Supplied in bundles comprising young leafy twigs, the leaves having a characteristic aromatic-pungent odour, bright yellow-green colour and rough texture; occasional flowers and fruits are present. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Geographical distribution[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Locally common at forest margins, on rocky hillsides and river banks and in tall grassland of the Eastern and Western Cape Provinces, Kwazulu-Natal and Mpumalanga.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]QUALITY STANDARDS[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Identity test[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Thin layer chromatography on silica gel using as solvent a mixture of toluene:diethyl ether:1.75m acetic acid (1:1:1). Reference compound: thymol (0,1% in chloroform)[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-1]Major compounds:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]yellow-mustard (Rf :0,19); yellow-mustard (Rf: 0,38); blue-mauve (Rf: 0,4); thymol (pink): Rf:0,8.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Ethanol (70%) extractive value[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]not less than 22%[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-1]Volatile oil content[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]not less than 0,15% (0,15-0,18%).[/SIZE]

PURITY TESTS

[SIZE=-1]Major chemical constituents[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1. Diterpenoid labdane lactones: premarrubiin 0.00933-0.01567%, marrubiin (possibly an artifact derived from premarrubiin during extraction)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2. Tannins, quinones, saponins, alkaloids and triterpene steroids were detected in preliminary tests in our laboratories; iridoids were not detected.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]MEDICINAL USES[/SIZE]

Dosage forms
[SIZE=-1]Used mainly in the form of an aqueous decoction, orally, per rectum and as a topical application. [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-1]Internal[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]For the treatment of cough, cold, influenza, chest infections, diabetes, hypertension, eczema, epilepsy, delayed menstruation, intestinal worms, constipation, spider bites and scorpion stings and as an antidote for snakebite.[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-1]External[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]For the relief of haemorrhoids, eczema, skin rashes and boils.[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-1]Pharmacology / Bioactivity[/SIZE]
Anti-nematodal activity has been demonstrated in vitro against Caenorhabditis elegans for aqueous and 100% ethanol extracts of the dried aerial parts of South African plants, at concentrations of 1.0mg/ml. A hexane extract proved inactive at a concentration of 2.0mg/ml. The same study found water and ethanol extracts to be inactive in an in vitroassay for anti-amoebic activity.
Molluscicidal activity of 80% ethanolic extracts of dried leaf, stem and fruits of Sudanese plants against Biomphalaria pfeifferi and Bulinus truncatus could not be demonstrated in vitro (concentration 200mg/litre). Anticonvulsant activity of an aqueous extract of dried leaf has been demonstrated in vivo in the mouse (dose: 200.0mg/kg IP) . In an in vitro assay for antiphage activity of aqueous fresh leaf+stem extracts of Greek plants, no activity was demonstrated against Bacteriophages MS2, PHI-CHI-174, T-7, T2, T4 or Bacteriophage-OPS7 . Extracts of shade-dried roots of Ethiopian plants were examined for anti-fertility activity in the rat, both in vitro (uterine stimulant activity) and in vivo(anti-implantation effects). Weak uterine stimulant activity was shown for 95% ethanol extracts but not for aqueous or n-butanol extracts (conc. 2.0%). Anti-implantation activity was shown by both n-butanol nd (%% ethanolic axtracts but not by aqueous extracts (dose: 0,93g/kg intragastrically) .

ASSAY

[SIZE=-1]Brine shrimp lethality assay[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]preliminary results showed no effect on brine shrimps in the concentrations tested.[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-1]Antibiotic activity assay[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]No in vitro antimicrobial activity was observed in preliminary assays, in the concentrations used.[/SIZE]​

Finally, it's said that the main alkaloid (the fuck is a alkaloid?)Leonurine is present in the plant and some variations, but this article says that's false essentially, and there's doubt about the alkaloid or whatever being present at all: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23346757

My primary concern is if smoking or making a tea out of this herb can cause a reaction with food that is deadly. For example taking a MAO Inhibitor and then eating cheese for example. Or whatever food I'd like to shove in.
As in. Is this herb a MAO Inhibitor?
I did smoke about 3 cigarettes loaded with this stuff (it burns really fast so perhaps 50% of the smoke or more did not actually enter), and then ate kebab with vegetables, hot sauce and a sauce made out of diary together with ham.

I did not have any serious illness or effects, but I did notice a pain-ish pressure in my head just 5 minutes after finishing the meal. Lasted 8 minutes or so. Like a minor headache. But it could have been just a random headache not related.

My Secondary concern is if this can react badly with other things. Hawaiian Baby Woodrose for example, or tobacco.

From my own anecdotal personal experience it doesn't interact with LSA or tobacco. Or any foods that I know of.

I don't have any reason to believe it is an effective MAOI if indeed it is one (and I have no reason to believe it is when used orally). I have only made tea and smoked the stuff though. Very disgusting smoked, and I didn't get anything from smoking it or the tea. YMMV, but I don't think you have anything to worry about when it comes to LSA, tobacco or foods.

NOW please take with a grain of salt, as I only have very limited experience with this plant. It just happens I used it shortly after trying LSA (from morning glories). I regularly smoked tobacco when I took it, and that I feel more confident isn't an issue.

If it wasn't pleasant or became associated with undesireavle side effects, I'd suggest just avoiding it. That is a pretty good policy when it comes to drug use.