• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Why was I never addicted to Adderall/Ritalin?

CantseemtofindMary

Bluelighter
All throught my school career (up until beginning of sophomore year when I lost the bottle of Adder on vacation.) I was forced to take Adder and Rit. I HATED the side effects because it messed with my appetite and swallowing. How come I never got addicted? Always wondered it every time I come on this site.

All throught my school career (up until beginning of sophomore year when I lost the bottle of Adder on vacation.) I was forced to take Adder and Rit. I HATED the side effects because it messed with my appetite and swallowing. How come I never got addicted? Always wondered it every time I come on this site.
Just because a drug has addictive potential doesn't mean you'll be addicted to it. Maybe adderall or uppers just aren't your thing. Or are you asking why you didn't develop a physical dependence for adderall?

Addiction =more or less, you like a substance too much and abuse it
You clearly didn't like it, so why should you become addicted?
As shadowstryker said, do you meant to ask why you never became physically dependent?

Millions upon millions of people are addicted to alcohol or nicotine, and I barely find these compounds recreational at all. On the other hand I found Zolpidem ("Ambien") to be the most recreational substance I ever ingested, a substance most people consider inferior to benzos.

"Different strokes for different folks" as you say in America, right? Some people prefer pure stimulation and take meth mixed with caffeine. Some people just want to nod off and combine opiates with antihistamines. Me, I was always chasing that perfect balance between Ritalin stimulation and benzo relaxation, with a bit of Tianeptine and Pregabalin thrown in the mix to smooth things out.

Each of our bodies is different. Perhaps it is simply that. Sorry that you were forced to take them as a child--lots of ignorance surrounds that choice for parents and even the medical professionals prescribing. Be thankful and carry on.:)<3

I meant what shadowstryker said about me becoming physically dependent

Part of the reason you never got physically dependent is because Adderall isn't a physically addicting drug. Nor is Ritalin. But like the above poster said, some people just aren't in onto stimulants. Some people prefer downers.