• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Why to people say "give thes milk" when people are overdosing or really messed up?

Sensible1

Bluelighter
I am trying to understand this: I have seen videos where it looks like people are on heroin or something else and people are saying to use milk to help the person OD'ing. Is this a myth? Like if you shot heroin and its in your blood stream how does coating your stomach with milk help you? It sounds like some urban legend, but I don't really know. Does milk help in certain overdoses?

I am trying to understand this: I have seen videos where it looks like people are on heroin or something else and people are saying to use milk to help the person OD'ing. Is this a myth? Like if you shot heroin and its in your blood stream how does coating your stomach with milk help you? It sounds like some urban legend, but I don't really know. Does milk help in certain overdoses?

It doesn't help. You might even get some of the milk into that person's lung, so even if they survive the actual OD, they might actually die from aspiration pneumonia later.

THANK YOU, that just scared me straight.
He should have had the milk INSTEAD.
Milk might have helped before but i am not really sure about after.
Mojo bad.

Anyone in the grips of an OD is not going to benefit from milk unless you are trying to expedite the process of them suffocating in fluid/vomit.

There is a lot of ignorance in the world. Don't believe what people tell you, do your own independent research.

Milk might have helped before but i am not really sure about after.
Mojo bad.

No, milk does fuck all to prevent overdoses either.
The only interaction between milk and opioids is that when opioids are consumed orally, the fat in milk might actually *enhance* their absorption into the bloodstream.
Oh, and anything you ingest beforehand might end up in your lungs when you OD and start vomiting.

This myth needs to die. There is no "grain of truth" to it.
Milk is regularly found in the lungs of overdose victims; there have even been cases of people *injecting* overdose victims with milk. Milk has no value in the treatment or prevention of opioid overdoses - quite the opposite actually.

This is one of the most ridiculously stupid things that I've ever heard of.
Right up there with lady gaga being a satanic recruitment tool and the concept of Jesus being a saviour and not believing in him earns u an eternity in a lake of fire being tortured.how the fuck does milk do anything when someone is overdosing? Next time someone says that ask them to explain how it's going to help.if they say anything tell that idiot to smarten the fuck up immediately followed by a slap to the back of the head.

OMG, n00b much? Like, EVERYONE knows doing a shot of milk immediately reverses any overdose. It only works with whole milk for opioids, though (2% for crack). If the person is lactose intolerance, mainline them with milk anyway because lacotose intolerance stems from lactose ignorance. (LOL JK, they could OD on milk and shit themselves to death, get them to smoke bread instead).

LOL??? i guess i should stock the fridge with as much milk as possible from now on ??

Melk does actually help with stimulants, calcium and it contains amino-acid chains that have the same effect as endorphins. If you drink a lot on an empty stomach, it will help you get down.

milk was formerly indicated in some poisonings where it could function as a diluting agent for irritants in the stomach (acids, alkalis, solvents) but nowadays its use is superceded by activated charcoal in almost all medical contexts

it is sort of useful to moderate stimulant experiences as it is a nice rapidly availiable solution of sugars, fats, and protiens (I think that low blood sugar fwhen using stimulants can cause a lot of negative effects from feeling unusually tired to becoming anxious or irritated) but don't make yourself sick drinking too much, and don't expect it to halt a trip at all

if someone is overdosing on opioids, never give anything by mouth as you just add a risk of choking/aspirration. naloxone IM or nasal apray, with airway support via bag valve mask or mouth to mouth until the paramedics can take over.

I've never heard anyone say that. And it wouldn't help.
Like giving coffee to sober someone up. Doesn't do anything at all apart from make them ALERT and drunk, which is worse.