• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS Why the stigma against non-social drug use?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
Even of legal drugs (alcohol)? I drink a bit of alcohol every morning to get me relaxed enough to do housework chores yet some people see an issue with it. They always consider you an addict for drinking outside the pub/clubs or during mornings.

So far I haven't gotten in trouble with the law and haven't gotten violent. I'm just concerned about effects on the liver.

Well, drug use was heavily stigmatized for various reasons, none of them really very valid. "Reefer madness" was basically created to instill fear of minorities. Psychedelics were stigmatized because they feared the effect it was having on a generation of people, who were interested in not creating the war machine we have today. There was a time when they told morphine and cocaine over the counter in "housewife pick-me-up elixirs" and stuff like that, people weren't even thinking "OMG they're doing drugs". I think drug use stigma evolved slowly in the 1900s and especially in the late 60s/70s and then the 80s with crack. So today a lot of people consider any non-prescribed drug use to be problematic and any prescribed drug use to be "medicine" and it's fine. It's ridiculous but true. I think it's starting to change though.

Regarding drinking every morning, I don't think it's a good idea. If your body becomes used to alcohol every day you'll become addicted. I don't know how much you're drinking but it definitely takes a toll on your liver.

It really depends on the amount, type, and setting, imo. A drink or a joint alone at night is perfectly acceptable imo(depending on the person, assuming there is no addiction issues).

A line of coke or opioid seems to be toeing the line of that slippery slope, most of use know all too well. Although using amphetamine that is prescribed to increase productivity is definitely not stigmatized.

A lot of it has to do with the general outcome of the activitity.

Another aspect, imo, is that we are social creatures. We are, for the most part, healthiest when in healthy communities. Isolation is generally a bad sign or a sign of bad things to come. Using drugs that feel good but produce no positive life cahnge, and more importantly come with negative side effects that out weigh the positives is strikingly similar, if not just a different type of self-harm.

the few drug addicts that steal and victimize to fund their habbit, or alcoholics that causes crashes - they give drug users a bad rap and everybody just think alls drug users are irrisponsible and fucking up society like this.

and jesus

the few drug addicts that steal and victimize to fund their habbit, or alcoholics that causes crashes - they give drug users a bad rap and everybody just think alls drug users are irrisponsible and fucking up society like this.

and jesus

I know what you mean. Here in Ireland, we have a methadone clinic in the city centre of Dublin and it's not an uncommon site to see junkies injecting up.

Unfortuntaly my mother looks at all these people and says "if you do drugs/drink alcohol, you'll look like this". Of course people don't consider the 1000s or 10,000s who are alcoholics and opiate users in Ireland but still have a middle class job, aren't homeless, don't steal etc.. confirmation bias.

Though drugs definitely can bring you into a downward spiral.

Although using amphetamine that is prescribed to increase productivity is definitely not stigmatized.

Hmmm...I assume you live in the States. I definitely disagree. Firstly, here in Ireland it's almost impossible to get them prescribed but people tend to have a belief that you're "weak" or a druggie for relying on ADHD meds.

Hmmm...I assume you live in the States. I definitely disagree. Firstly, here in Ireland it's almost impossible to get them prescribed but people tend to have a belief that you're "weak" or a druggie for relying on ADHD meds.
I am indeed from the states, I wasn't aware of the cultural difference. That is interesting. In general, it is one of the overprescribed meds.

But back on topic... I'm not sure the stigma is against needing medication(at least here is the US), so much as it is self-medicating, and the slippery slope that it is, especially for some. And for those unexperienced, it's a bit like watching someone walk along the railing of a high bridge- the natural inclination is to assume the worst, and even the most experienced make mistakes.

Not to be condescending, but I think a more interesting question is why do you feel the need to take a drink or two in order to feel relaxed enough to do things like house chores? I have a similar relation to benzos, where I can not get myself to do anything until I am sedated enough. I know for me, there is a lot of "getting in my own way" type of thoughts happening, like unreasonable and excessive self-doubt.

Try to go as long as you can and carry a small thought journal with you. When you find yourself at a point when you get stuck, take it out(I use notepad on my phone) and write down what is happening in your head. Sometimes this alone is enough to work through the emotions, but if it isn't, then try taking a drink and then write down when you have gained.