• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Why shatter over straight

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Since you asked, I'll name a few advantages that shatter has over regular bud.

1. For those with medical needs whom require a larger dose on a regular basis, it's more practical and healthier in many cases to use concentrates instead of flower. This is due to the fact that there is more THC (cannabinoids) per weight in concentrates versus flower, requiring less amount of the product to be ingested. In short, there is less plant matter (which does nothing for patients) in concentrates.

2. It's easier to make vape juice. The rise in popularity of vape cartridges is largely due to the rise in popularity of concentrates. I can make a fresh vape cartridge in about 5 minutes. There is no reason to buy blackmarket cartridges, especially with the dangerous ones being cut with vitamin E, your chances of getting a lung injury are comparable to the coronavirus but it's killing people indiscriminately. I recommend buying cartridges from a legal or medical shop or making your own in 5 minutes.

3. It's easier to make better tasting edibles. Most of the professional edibles today are being made starting from a concentrate instead of a direct flower extraction. This is largely due to the ease of use and lack of need to get rid of the chlorophyll tastes that flower based edibles often have.

4. You get higher! From a purely recreational viewpoint, it's easier to get higher because concentrates have more THC per "hit" than flower does. Watch out for tolerance, though, concentrates can ruin it for you.

5. More stealth. Concentrates can have little or no smell which creates a very stealthy opportunity for users in need of discretion.

The list doesn't stop here. This was just off the top of my head.

6. The concentration and intense flavour you can get from a full plant(spectrum?) C02 extract and selective purification is very vivid and mouth watering.

That’s all I’ve got in addition to wo1fg4ng’s list. It was the first impression I had when I first tried shatter.
Tom

6. The concentration and intense flavour you can get from a full plant(spectrum?) C02 extract and selective purification is very vivid and mouth watering.

That’s all I’ve got in addition to wo1fg4ng’s list. It was the first impression I had when I first tried shatter.
Tom
Yeah the taste of wax and shatter and just concentrates in general is usually better than bud. Maybe I just get the shitty run off weed from the legal states though, I recall before legalization we used to get reallll dank shit here, I was the guy my friends looked to to bring back ounces after visiting home during college. Haven’t had weed that tasty in a good 6 or 7 years.

That’s the same thing here. Legal states have risen the prices and everyone’s got legit “bags” just not legit weed
Yeah the taste of wax and shatter and just concentrates in general is usually better than bud. Maybe I just get the shitty run off weed from the legal states though, I recall before legalization we used to get reallll dank shit here, I was the guy my friends looked to to bring back ounces after visiting home during college. Haven’t had weed that tasty in a good 6 or 7 years.

Yea I get some of the dankest quality rec bud there is but I still get excited to buy the illicit bud off my boys back home. For some reason it hits in a different stronger way that I can’t quite put my finger on. Rec weed feels all the same to me often times.

About concentrates... The pluses have already been stated well.

To me concentrates are used when you need stealth, a very intense high, or just looking to try something new.

Typical shatters are great but as with any concentrate of any plant drug, you lose something in the process. What’s often getting lost is terpenes as well as other bioactive constituents, this gives that full rounded high that makes each strain unique

To me shatter kind of feels much more similar strain to strain than comparing the same flower.

Live Resin, now that’s getting a lot better. You capture as much of the terps as you can to retain more of the unique high each strain gives.

That said even Live Resin isn’t perfect, some terpenes are too volatile and if you live in a dry climate expect them to evaporate fast (so keep in the fridge unless your taking a hit.) My favorite strain in terms of terpenes is Forbidden Fruit and I’ve yet to try a Live Resin that can capture it fully.

I’m not a big fan of dabbing. I like pens, both cart and regular, I only use live resin single origin carts to avoid shitty impure synthetic terpenes. But usually I buy live resin and put some onto a hit of flower, best of both worlds.

Also because of the lack of variation in active constituents, your tolerance can skyrocket and before long your ripping half gram dabs

It’s best to just keep your tolerance low with the occasional concentrate hit and mostly flower IMO.

-GC

Yeah concentrates absolutely fuck your tolerance. Going from wax back to flower is like trying to get off heroin using codeine.

I bought some of everything on my first visit, exploiting my new customer discount and the shatter was the last thing I really played with. In another note I said, instead of coming up on you, this kicks you in the face. I don't know if that is all shatter but it is my impression of White Chem Haze.

I bought some of everything on my first visit, exploiting my new customer discount and the shatter was the last thing I really played with. In another note I said, instead of coming up on you, this kicks you in the face. I don't know if that is all shatter but it is my impression of White Chem Haze.

mmm indeed, it is all shatter. Well... not including CBD shatter, but that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

How're you hitting it? Dab rig, pen or glass? I'm only curious because I feel like the only dab/wax pen worth it's price is the Yocan Evolve Plus XL. It's the only pen that's really caught me off-guard, and the hits are monstrous. The 4 coils burns through your stash pretty quickly, but I found that a single hit off my Yocan had me feeling just as high as I'd be if I had just smoked a gram of flower to myself.

Yea the YoCan Evolve is the best pen I’ve tried as well, mine are still kicking years later just fine. It hits so smooth and doesn’t torch your concentrates like past pens.

I’ve been using pens since the first Micro G came out and YoCan Evolve is truly a testament to the evolution of these products.

-GC

Maybe I just like it a little more mellow. My little cooker will light you up though if you are tired of being mellow.

Maybe I just like it a little more mellow. My little cooker will light you up though if you are tired of being mellow.

No shame in that!

I like dab pens because I get to where I want to be in 1-2 hits, whereas flower takes a bit more effort. It's super easy to over-do a session with a rig or a hard-hitting pen, though, and nobody likes greening out. Black market wax has been tough to find in my area for a year or so. It's around, but the price fuckin' skyrocketed about a year and a half ago, whereas regular old weed's experienced a bit of a price drop and a huge uptick in quality.

Since I got legal I have a lot more trust in what is in concentrates but the bud got better too. These pre roll Clementines are kick ass. Two hits will do you for a while if you want to function.

I used to do a lot of concentrates simply for the economic reason that I could get more THC for a lower price than whole flower worked out to. Presumably because it was made from "waste buds" (little popcorn nugs, trim, etc), whereas the flower is always at least AA or better nugs.

Indeed most concentrates are from B buds or trim hence the price compared to the same amount of THC in A buds. If the concentrate is taken from A-Buds it will say so and be obvious by price.

For sure concentrates are much much cheaper mg to mg of THC but tolerance rises so quickly.

-GC

Taking a fat dab is so different from smoking a well rolled joint or blunt that it's like trying to compare a large shot of 100 proof whiskey to a nice cold pint of pilsner.

Same active drug technically, but the context for use, as well as flavor, onset, duration and intensity all are so different it's kind of apples and oranges.

Taking a fat dab is so different from smoking a well rolled joint or blunt that it's like trying to compare a large shot of 100 proof whiskey to a nice cold pint of pilsner.

Same active drug technically, but the context for use, as well as flavor, onset, duration and intensity all are so different it's kind of apples and oranges.

That seems to be my experience. Going to a real pot shop is an eye opener.