• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Why on earth cant I find stadol anywhere? (it is a nasal spray, opiate-type)

Status
Not open for further replies.

truetruetrue

Greenlighter
Stadol was provided to me by my old school migraine doctor as a rescue med since percs do nothing for me. (he was more than 75 yrs old).

It is a nasal spray, Stadol NS, which is bad for daytime use but damn, before bed if I have a migraine, I can take it and sleep it off. I am asleep in minutes.

Here's the problem. NO DOCTORS are on board with this drug. It's odd because it CAN be called in via phone, vs. other opiates that need a written script.

I had to switch migraine docs for insurance reasons and my new one won't even consider it. I end up in the ER sometimes instead. This is so expensive.

I have looked around, and NO ONE provides this online -- which is odd to me, it seems like an option for people like me.

Where can I find this? I don't want to swap doctors to find one willing to give it to me. Did something happen with this drug to make it blacklisted? If it is so dangerous, why can doctors call it in?

I am at my wits end. Help!

"It's not prescribed often, and there have been numerous complaints against it reported by the FDA. The brand name Stadol was discontinued a while ago if I remember correctly. I would be really careful with it, even if that meant avoiding it completely. It's used a lot more in veterinary applications than it is in humans I think."

The poster Tricomb wrote this in another thread in 2012, so I copied & pasted it for you.

"It's not prescribed often, and there have been numerous complaints against it reported by the FDA. The brand name Stadol was discontinued a while ago if I remember correctly. I would be really careful with it, even if that meant avoiding it completely. It's used a lot more in veterinary applications than it is in humans I think."

The poster Tricomb wrote this in another thread in 2012, so I copied & pasted it for you.

Thank you for this. I realize Stadol was discontinued, but the medication is still available as "Butorphanol" -- not sure if it is the same drug with different name or is slightly different?

Stadol contained butorphanol and generic butorphanol is just the same. Dose per squirt may vary.

I can't find a doctor on board with butorphanol either - is there a different name for it?

I think it's primarily in veterinary medicine now. The clinics I worked at had Torbugesic brand. It's made by both Fort Dodge and Pfizer, two main contributors to vet med.

Its rarely used in humans but available. It gets looked down on because of the opioid things and can have some nasty side effects if dosed too much. I would keep pleading your case if it brings real relief.

Learn something new every day. Just as many of you folks had no idea that buprenorphine was used as a pain med in veterinary medicine, I had no idea that butorphanol was used in human medicine.

If the effects of butorphanol on dogs and horses equate to its effect on humans, it's not only a decent painkiller, but also quite recreational.

Imo the thread is borderline sourcing and I think the OP got enough answers, so I'm closing this.
OP, if you want me to re-open the thread or have a question feel free to PM me

Status
Not open for further replies.