• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Why is ghb dosage considered more dangerous than other drugs which take way less?

deruyityn

Bluelighter
Ie the ld50 of speed is 7 grams and anything above 100mg of pure stuff would probaby be extremely unpleasant (please no 'tough guys' showing off how much they've taken before).

Same with mdma if you take more than a couple hundred milligrams you get horrible effects.

Ghb though it takes between 1-2grams for a normal dose from what I read (erowid) and then the dosage range for a heavy dose is up to 5 grams. So you have a safety margin of several grams before you get into dangerous territory? That seems like a wide margin compared to your average stims which are in the milligram dosage range? And that isnt even talking of ld50. Which seems to be massive, not that you'd want to ever reach near it but it shows it is way less acutely toxic than the abovementioned chemicals? Yet ghb gets a way worse name yet it seems to have a much larger dosage margin so why the bad name?

I understand it is harder if dealing with liquid or gbl but in pure powder form how would it be any more dangerous than dosing other drugs if you have a mg scale?

It sounds alot better to overdose a bit on ghb than the mental and physical horror entailed from too much stimulants. With post stim binges I'd have weeks of mental anguish worrying if I'd done permanent damage. But with ghb it sounds lik a quick nap and right as rain after a couple of hours.

So am I missing something? Particularly how are those dosage ranges more dangerous, when looking at them they seem way less dangerous so long as you are measuring your doses?

Last edited:
Ghb though it takes between 1-2grams for a normal dose from what I read (erowid) and then the dosage range for a heavy dose is up to 5 grams. So you have a safety margin of several grams before you get into dangerous territory?

Nope, it just means that some individuals might need more.

The dose response curve for GHB is way steeper than you'd expect from reading those numbers. The difference between a dose that gives you a good time and a dose that leaves you incapacitated and vomiting for hours can be as low as 0.5 grams.

So unlike something like MDMA, where 100mg is a good dose, but you'll survive if you double it, GHB and its analogs can be a fucking mess if you don't know exactly how to dose it.

But with ghb it sounds lik a quick nap and right as rain after a couple of hours.

This sounds like the words of someone who's never taken too much GHB...

Don't take more than 5gs. Seriously....

The FDA daily limit for GHB (XYREM) is 9 grams a night...If we are referring to the recreational use of it than 5 grams is way too much for some people, however I used to love to ingest 6ccs every hour or 2 on a daily basis...The strength was 0.5mg per cc/ml so I was taking 3 grams every few hours....

The FDA daily limit for GHB (XYREM) is 9 grams a night...If we are referring to the recreational use of it than 5 grams is way too much for some people, however I used to love to ingest 6ccs every hour or 2 on a daily basis...The strength was 0.5mg per cc/ml so I was taking 3 grams every few hours....

9gs could be fatal for someone non-tolerant. For recreation go with 2-4g

You used to inject GHB? How was that? I've boofed 1-3gs at once before but it got really messy as you could imagine...lmao.

This sounds like the words of someone who's never taken too much GHB...

Well obviously not or I wouldn't have made the post would I?

So why don't you explain it to me? Are you still ill afterwards? similar to how you would be from stim comedowns (I only keep mentioning stims since those are my main reference point)? from the rebound or whathaveyou? or being sick? I just read in nearly all the reports they felt just normal and fine after and bopping around continuing their evenings. So I didn't pull the idea out my ass. Usually in reports of other drugs after ODs they will go into great detail for how long they felt like shit whereas with G it is just one line 'woke up, felt fine'.

EDIT: I see you noted vomiting for hours. That doesn't sound pleasant. Hmm so in that case can you also vomit in your sleep from just .5 too much as well-If so I see how it wouldn't really be worth risking. ie what is the dose range between vomit while awake and vomit while unconscious? I mean vomiting isn't pleasant but it isn't the end of the world whereas vomiting in your sleep quite possibly could be. and is all this when G is the only thing in question- ie no alcohol involved?

Last edited:
^ Being so defensive only proves otherwise IMO.

Anyways, I've read that doses of >50 mg/kg body weight can decrease cardiac output and produce severe respiratory depression, seizure-like activity, and coma.

The amount you state is high, specially if you are not used to take GHB.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The FDA's 9 gram a night limit is taken in two 4.5 doses. It CAN be brought up to 5, but any more than that is dangerous. Now, if you took it on a full stomach, you could probably take 5 grams and be totally fine. 3.5 grams on an empty stomach is considered a good recreational dose. GHB is considered to be so dangerous because, as someone else said, it's a very small margin of error that could lead to an OD. And a GHB overdose is simply falling into a coma and not waking up--which can happen even if you take less than 5 grams, but take a CNS depressant with it. You have to be careful not to fuck around with GHB. And vomiting is caused not from a true overdose, but from taking a dose intended for sleep and getting up and trying to walk; it's just motion-sickness. A true GHB overdose = coma. But the good news is it's completely out of your system in 4 hours.

G Hole

A G Hole is horrific. You are not mixing other substances or alcohol?

My G Hole night was one of the worst experiences of my life. It wasn't on purpose.

(Never take a swig of liquid G)

Well obviously not or I wouldn't have made the post would I?

So why don't you explain it to me? Are you still ill afterwards? similar to how you would be from stim comedowns (I only keep mentioning stims since those are my main reference point)? from the rebound or whathaveyou? or being sick? I just read in nearly all the reports they felt just normal and fine after and bopping around continuing their evenings. So I didn't pull the idea out my ass. Usually in reports of other drugs after ODs they will go into great detail for how long they felt like shit whereas with G it is just one line 'woke up, felt fine'.

EDIT: I see you noted vomiting for hours. That doesn't sound pleasant. Hmm so in that case can you also vomit in your sleep from just .5 too much as well-If so I see how it wouldn't really be worth risking. ie what is the dose range between vomit while awake and vomit while unconscious? I mean vomiting isn't pleasant but it isn't the end of the world whereas vomiting in your sleep quite possibly could be. and is all this when G is the only thing in question- ie no alcohol involved?

I've been on and off heroin for the better part of 15 years, and had absurdly high xanax addictions. I have done pretty much every illicit substance out there, and I will tell you this: GBL (and GHB) is BY FAR the most dangerous drug I have ever done.

There are a number of reasons. Here are a few:
If you are doing GBL/GHB, you are more than likely trying to EYEBALL liquid doses into a bottle cap. The difference between a fucking DROP of GBL can mean having a great time, dancing or having sex, and you being completely unresponsive and unconscious even if someone is slapping you in the face as hard as they can. You just will not respond to any outside stimuli.
GBL/GHB is a pretty short high,but it is fun as hell if you get the dose right. To me it always seemed like a combo of being drunk and on MDMA. Since it's so short, you'll want to keep redosing, and picture trying to eyeball liquid doses into a cap if you were hammered drunk and on molly. Obviously very dangerous.

I have never been in the hospital or done so many absurdly dangerous things than when I was addicted to GBL. I think I ended up in the hospital 3 times in a few months. I remember just buying a new 3 series, and totaling it in the first few weeks. Prior to that, I feel "asleep" literally in the intersection of a busy Manhattan street, only to be awoken to a cop smashing the back window to wake me up, while my foot was thank god on the brake while the car was still in drive.

The withdrawals are very tough too. Keep in mind also, that ingesting GBL feels like you are ingesting an industrial cleaning solution....oh wait, you are! Myself and my friends use to get the most sickening gut rot feeling from GBL. It's been well over 10 years since I've done any, but I can still so vividly remember that sick, crippling feeling of feeling like your intestines are being burned from the inside.

You would have to pay me tons of money to ever start fucking with GBL or GHB ever again.