• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Why is alcohol legal?

I don't think booze should be made illegal, but alcohol being legal is a starting point for other drugs being legalised. I smoke 15 cones everyday and nothing ever happens .. I went to the pub the other night and they served me 10+ drinks ... I was out of control. Stumbling everywhere. Lucky not to throw up. Alcohol for me is a powerful substance, much more so than weed. legalise the herb man %) ;)

i truly beleive, that if all drugs could be bought over the counter, the crime rate would fall dramaticaly, at present the majority of the drug trade is cotrolled by the underworld. As soon as a government prohibits the sale of a drug, they open the door way for organise crime to make a very lucrative tax free living. Firstly the cost the goverment is spending on fighting the drug war, is ridiculous, roughly 50% of inmates in gaol are there due to drug related crime, this is a massive burden for the tax-payers to bear, also the amount that is wasted on massive police operations to "crack major international drug syndicate" or the more absurd, the money they waste in NSW alone, with operation viking, where if the police are lucky, they might catch a small time dealer and they might charge a couple of people with possesion, next stop the law courts and again another drain on public funds, keep in mind drug crime sentencing can sometime be tougher than a murder or rape conviction, the longer the government chooses to keep their heads buried in the sand, with these out dated drug laws, the quicker we will see the jails fill up with people that have done nothing more, than supplying another person with goods that they desire, there will always be people prepared to supply when there is a demand, this is the basic principle of every business in every corner of the globe, yes these people are breaking the law so to speak, but can we really compare the crime of supply and demand, at the same level, as murderers, rapists, phedophile. Yes murderers, rapists and phedophiles should be removed from our community, these criminals should be locked up, for the safety of the population. locking up drug dealers, does nothing to stop the supply of illicit drugs to the masses. Think of the huge amount of money the government would save just in the court costs, and on another positive, the courts wouldn't be so back logged with pointless arrests, that maybe people getting arrested and trialed for real crime i.e. murder, rape, etc. would be moved through the court system alot faster then at present. So if the government spent the money that they saved, just in law enforcement, on honest and truthfull drug education that points out ALL the facts good/bad and help encourage people to make inform decision. I'm sure if people learnt the TRUTH and the TRUE risks associated with drugs that they may come across during the course of their lives, that the more dangerous drugs, would be left alone by the majority i.e. ghb, pma, etc because for the same price you could purchase a different high, that has a mucher lower incident of harmful or deadly consequences, there will always be a small minority that will always push the limits, be it drugs, sport or adventure. Health service would have to receive the rest of this fortune, Australia's health care service is in a critical situation, the health care system needs urgent funding, unfortunately the funding going into health care is so stretched that the government is forcing us, the tax payers, to join private health care funds, to try and relieve the strain on the public hospitals, unfortunately our health care is scarely following in the U.S.A.'s footsteeps, where eventually you will not be able to access a majority of hospitals as they are privately owned and if you can't afford private insurance you will be refused medical assistant and have to rely on community hospitals, that are a far cry from the private hospitals, yet another blow to the lower end of the wealth ladder. I believe that this is one of the biggest positive we could acheive with the legalising of drugs.
Okay, so now the government is controlling the manufacture and distrubution of all the phsyco-active drugs in a simillar fashion to pharmacies, where the pharmacist is responsible to firstly make sure that the customer is over 18, and that they know all the facts about what they are going to experience, and all the appropriate information that the user should know about the drug that they are purchasing. The government will be able to produce quality assured products at a very reasonable price, this would generate jobs, and put money into the governments pocket instead of losing all the untaxed transactions that occur day in day out to the tune of tens of millions of dollars through the black market. Who in there right mind would buy from the black market, there would be such a little profit margin it would no longer be viable to compete against the government and backyard labs would disappear pretty quickly, again basic principle of business no profit, no point.
When drugs are used out in the open and children are no longer hidden from seeing people with drug addiction and the desperate state of being, that the addict is living, the better chance, those children, will not want to end up in the same desperate situation themselves, I really believe that herion usage would fall drastically, sometimes the best way to protect our children is not to hide them from the reality of this world, but to let them take in all the shocking visuals, visuals can be better than any words.
No person or body of power, should be allowed to tell people what chemical reactions they are allowed to produce in their own body, my body is my own and if i want to take mind altering drugs, what the fuck has that got to do with anyone but myself. Fuck wake up you politicians the number of people using prohibited drugs is multiplying at the speed of light, people aren't buying the propaganda, the truth is surfacing, yours lies are back to bite you in the arse.
legalisation is the only way forward.....

^^ there's a lot in that first paragraph swallowthat. Please consider editing your post so that your effort isn't wasted. Things are so much easier to read in (smaller) paragraphs.

p_d :)

Alcohol is awesome :) It can be used irresponsibly and abused, just like every other drug.

*hugs bottle of vodka*

I drink vodka like it's water, 3rd favourite drug behind IV heroin and IV meth :D

BlazinMarty said:
if they were to legalize, surely they would want people to buy off them, so making prices atleast 40% lower than street prices and you've won, dealers are out, the government gets their money and everyones happy.

But then hereos take too much, they have psychotic episodes, this ties up beds in psych wards, and then flow on effects for PBS for antidepressents. For dramas unfold if they turn bipolar and lash out physically abusing spouses or children. This intern creates a stronger need for shelters and more money spent on public housing.

It will be a long time before chems will become legal simply due when things go wrong, they go very wrong, and hence very expensive. So the current situation of psuedo-legal (ie illegal, but if you keep your head down and don't make a scene then we'll wave you through) will be around for years to come.

In relate with Apollo's first reply, its pretty much similar with the gambling industry, its a huge billion dollar industry, all the people working in the industry, and everything involved in the gambling industry.

If the Government banned Alcohol and Gambling, Australia will probably end up like one of these poor African countries.

Anyone want a re-fill of red wine? 8)

it annoys me that alcohol os legal, im not much of a drinker i enjoy my drugs ;) but i do have a drink every now and then, i find drinking is quiet uncontrolable and i find it safer for me to have pills as i am in more control.

If the Government banned Alcohol and Gambling, Australia will probably end up like one of these poor African countries.

i hope you wernt being serious! That is a complete exaggeration.. the Australian economy isnt propped up on alcohol and gambling.. yes sure it makes alot of money but banning alcohol and gambling ISNT going to ruin the aussie economy.. :S

Why is alcohol legal?

Its a multi-billion dollar industry which the government makes loads from and its so deeply set in our society its like cancelling christmas.

endlesseulogy said:
i hope you wernt being serious! That is a complete exaggeration.. the Australian economy isnt propped up on alcohol and gambling.. yes sure it makes alot of money but banning alcohol and gambling ISNT going to ruin the aussie economy.. :S

it can ruin the economy in some ways I believe, if there was no alcohol and gambling, all the taxes collected from the industry and people work in the industry will be lost, and there will be heaps of people out of jobs, and taxes will go up to replace the loss from the taxes in alchoal and gambling and the education, health and welfare systems could suffer and maybe people will have their dole/austudy/welfare/medicial benefits cutted or even lose them.

Of course Australian community isn't propped up on alcohol and gambling, but it plays a big part of keeping the country going.