• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Why I'm thinking of switching from pot to meth

I wouldn't recommend using meth if you are depressed. With it destroying the dopamine transmitters I couldn't even imagine the negative feels you would have after even using a few times a week.

I started out snorting and smoking meth here and there with my boyfriend. While it had its productive moments I often found myself spending hours on a mindless task...and forget doing anything on the computer, Id get lost for hours and the next thing I knew the sun was coming up. While I was able to indulge on it on the weekends once Monday rolled around and it was back to work, I was ok for the most part... by Wednesday I found myself doing an awful lot of wishful thinking that I was high and couldn't wait for the weekend to get here. I was able to maintain this routine for about a couple of weeks before I was using during the work week as well. I had fallen for meths dangerous spell. A weekend shortly after that my boyfriend informed me that smoking it just wasn't cutting it for him anymore and that he was going to start slamming it. He had a prior history with heroin and was no stranger to the needle... I on the other hand thought no way in hell am I putting a needle into my arm as I was so skeeved out by them. So as I snorted, he would slam it... Well curiosity got the best of me and asked what it felt like. He described the rush to me and I told him that I would like to experience that high at least once... It was that morning I got to experience the best high I have ever had. Now fast forward to now...if you were to look at my hands and arms they are covered in unsightly bruises and track marks all caused by my own hand. I am not only able to shoot myself up but have a constant craving for that rush on a daily basis... and my moods, well, they are off the chart when I cant.

I wanted to share this with you because I was a heavy drinker with the thrills of other drugs thrown in here and there. I never thought of myself having an addictive personality as I was able to use other drugs with no second thought of them when I didn't have them. I dont know what it is like to eat meth, and maybe it would be a subtle high... But you've done the research before hand and thats something that I wish I could've done as I never expected to be where I am now. I have a good job and have a fairly normal life... I haven't pissed away all of my money, stolen anything, or hurt anyone... While I know not everyone is lucky to maintain a normal life on meth, I would personally advise strongly against even consider using it, as one just never knows....

I've never used meth but yes you would be making a huge mistake by starting to use meth. You will wind up addicted to it, as you are an alcoholic, and you are also addicted to cannabis and food. I would not be surprised if you are also addicted to the alprazolam as well.

See a doctor, or a psychotherapist who specializes in drug addiction and binge eating or eating disorders. Also hit up some NA/AA meetings, and even if you do take an SSRI and take a blood test cannabis or any other drugs you use will not show up on that. Do not attempt to quit alcohol on your own, tell your doctor how you are an alcoholic and ask him/her the best course of action.

Learn how to eat right, cook healthy, eat less, and start to exercise. All of these things will help, but you have to want to do them and make changes in your life. Good luck.

Last edited:
You will wind up addicted to it, as you are an alcoholic, and you are also addicted to cannabis and food. I would not be surprised if you are also addicted to the alprazolam as well.

Thanks, but I'm not an alcoholic. I'm a binge drinker and I self-medicate with alcohol to overcome anxiety, but I go full weeks at a time without a drop of alcohol. And I'm not addicted to cannabis because I stopped more than a month ago and I have easy access to it and I have no desire to get any. And I'm not addicted to alprazolam because I've used a tiny, non-recreational dose twice a week for a year and never increased the dose or frequency even once or felt the urge to. Even if I want to use alz two days in a row I just reach for the melatonin instead.

What I'm saying is I know all that doesn't mean I can't become a meth addict, but at this current time I'm not physically addicted to any substance, period.

Obviously I eat more than I need to otherwise I wouldn't be a fat fuck, but I also cycle like 7 hours a week and lift weights every day.

All that said, I just so happened to meet a like-minded individual (a serious psychonaut (as opposed to the "party-guy" types I always meet) who is an assistant professor and researcher with a PhD in math) the other day who had been using amphetamine for over 10 years a few times a month. He convinced me to take the plunge.
I ate a point of amphetamine, which I understand on the street contains some percentage of meth and is very similar in many ways.
I became really talkative, and made my first real friend in more than a decade. We went to several of the bars I've been going to for years. I drank half as much as usual, I was able to talk to people instead of just being the neurotic wallflower I usually am, and the world didn't end. Over the course of one night, people who have been "acquaintances" for years are now asking me to come hang out with them and stuff.

And now, day 3 after said dose I feel normal for the first time in years. I'm washing my dishes, I'm singing along to music, I have no desire to eat anything other than fruits and vegetables, I've hung up posters that I bought a year ago and never had the motivation to frame... And this is 3 days later, mind you, AFTER experiencing a comedown.

I know it won't always be like this and you guys are probably going to flame/shame the shit out of me, but being an occasional user like that guy now seems like a pretty reasonable way to proceed with my life and I figured it was worth sharing my experience.

Last edited:
Good to see you had a reinforcing 1st time which I guess everyone has the 1st time.
Don't believe everyone who attack a substance they are looking out for you which is nice.
It can help a hell of a lot as amphetamine changed mine when in my early 20's I finally seen a professional and since then I have been able to participate in life more. I wish you the best mate

Wow, that's two positive outlooks sustained with this stuff. As yr. mod., it would be totally irresponsible and at odds with harm reduction principles to add my own anecdotes and endorsements. So I won't. It does really only apply to small populations anyway. And, as with everything, can become problematic for some.

Yes. Those folks who start their days with addictive compounds like caffeine and nicotine, maintain it with sugar, and go down to bed with alcohol, immediately begin a downward spiral into death and ruin--punishment by god for their sins of hedonism.

personally I love waking up and knowing I have amps or coke or something. Any upper will do. However for the sake of my heart I limit my purchases to once per week, and spread it out over 2-3 days. But I fairly BOUND out of bed when I have them. Today for example I cleaned out all my desk drawers and organized them.

Maybe OP will return, let us know how life's going. Hopefully not going nuts on the go fast, as not surprisingly, he had a good time during his first foray into stimulants, like most people, I could almost see his glasses tintin' up quite rosily. People always think they'll be the exception, and of course they are! Used the vile chemical once and managed not to attempt to pawn used Band-Aids for "anatomic research", teeth didn't suddenly decide they no longer like being so close to their kin, become Sugarland groupies, or indulge that epiphany from last week that, ya know, The Grateful Dead were onto something, and subsequently dying, greatly, with utmost dedication. Wishing the best for ol buddy...

Happy to hear you have rethought going the meth route.

The first time I used I said the same thing, "I've done this drug and that drug a whole bunch of times and never got addicted. This won't be any different." Famous last words...four years later here I am, a meth addict.

Meth is a sneaky bastard. In the beginning it leads you to believe that you have finally found the miracle cure for all kinds of things...cleaning your house, losing weight, being productive at work, etc, but once the productivity begins to wane you up your dosage or change your ROA and before long you're doing it just to feel "normal."

You mentioned that you struggle with anxiety. I can only speak about my own experience, but don't expect meth to take away your anxiety. I, too, struggle with anxiety. Before meth I was able to keep it under control without medication...today I am prescribed an antidepressant, gabapentin that I take daily as maintenance for my anxiety, and a low dose benzo that I save for when I'm about to have a full blown panic attack. I hope one day to be medication free again, but I don't expect to be until I am able to get and stay clean.

As others have mentioned, I would also not suggest going on the "Jenny Crank" diet. When I started using I was a bit on the heavy side. About a year into my use, I went on a pretty gnarly binge that lasted six months or so and I went from a size 14 jeans to a size 2. Even though I didn't do it as a means to drop weight, I did like that little side effect. I thought I looked great until I happened to run across one of the few pictures that were taken of me during my binge. I was thin, for sure, but I looked awful. I looked sucked up and sickly because I didn't do it the healthy way. Since the binge I have decreased the quantity that I use everyday and finally got back up to a healthy weight that I have been able to maintain. I can't lie, one of my concerns with getting clean is the inevitable weight gain that will come along with it, but if I could go back and do it over again, I would choose being overweight over a meth habit in a heartbeat.

I'm sure this has also been touched on, but there is also the potential legal repercussions to consider. There are tons of people who go their whole lives and never run into legal problems. I wasn't that lucky, unfortunately. Before I started using I had an amazing job in the legal field that afforded me a comfortable living. But since I'm not one of those tweakers that can live like a productive member of society, I eventually quit that job because it was interfering with my habit. I won't go into all the details but two years ago our house was raided and they recovered an empty baggie and a tooter that tested positive for meth and I was charged with a 5th degree felony drug possession as a result. I will never be able to go back to the job I had before because I am no longer able to obtain the required federal security clearance to do the job because of the felony conviction.

Every time you get to feeling like you want to take somebody up on the offer of free dope, I hope you'll come back an re-read this thread and I hope it will continue to make you rethink that decision every single time. Should you decide to try it, perhaps you'll be one of the rare exceptions that can pick it up and put it down whenever you want but sadly, that isn't the case for the vast majority.

Wishing you the best in whatever you decide.

Yes. Those folks who start their days with addictive compounds like caffeine and nicotine, maintain it with sugar, and go down to bed with alcohol, immediately begin a downward spiral into death and ruin--punishment by god for their sins of hedonism.

Lots of trouble when legalities are factored in to the equation. I won't say it's healthy, though there are studies in support of moderate amounts of nicotine (not tobacco), caffeine, and alcohol for health.

We're all hedonists, in a manner. We want to feel good.

People certainly believe that, and judge how others get that pleasure. Pleasure relates to sex, means sex when it's a verb, and the western god hates sex.

Pleasure is central to the whole swirling shitshow of morals and politics and classism that are drugs and society. And the main driver is the false belief that lesser people are selfishly seeking pleasure for its own sake.

Are you literally looking to die

Meth is the most pleasant thing life has to offer until it gets boring than everything is meaningless but at least meth passes the time while you're waiting to die

That's meth addiction, you get to the point where nothing feels good, because you've depleted your dopamine, but you can't function without being high. You are literally just waiting to die.

^^^ yikes that's a rather bleak outlook cyb

Yeah, and as someone who has done meth every possible way except for sticking it up your butt, I think it's total BS. Lol. AT best meth is just a little hedonistic vice, like eating fast food or binge watching reality TV. Anyone who gives the experience real meaning or value is fooling themselves, and if the only pleasure you derive from your life is meth use, well, that's a sad fucking life :(

I wouldn't. For one, it is very addictive. So, while you are currently saying you'll only use it orally, you could end up switching to a more risky roa later on. Also, people often end up binging on it which generally leads to a lot of problems and little to no productivity. The productivity isn't impossible, but it will likely be overshadowed by the problems that it causes. Plus, it's notoriously impure.

yeah.
i don't think the people urging restraint, or saying it's a bad idea to 'replace' pot with meth are judging meth use meth users.

i mean, shit - i did heaps of meth when i was younger, and it was fun. but it was also destructive. i smoke weed every day and find it less disruptive to my life than taking meth every weekend - or every second weekend.
it requires a few days to fully recover, and if you work full time (or do anything to occupy that much of your time) i find that meth takes a tole. fucks with my sleep for at least a couple of days, and i find that if i'm going straight back to work after one sleep over the whole weekend, i end up with a pretty major energy deficit - which fucks with my moods, my ability to cope with stress, and seems to compromise my immune system and i get sick a lot if i use drugs like meth too regularly.

whereas with weed, i can smoke every night and work full time (and play in bands in my evenings and weekends) and remain healthy and sleep well.
for me any comparison with cannabis and methamphetamine is based on extensive personal experience. some of us find that when meth is added to the equation, our lives go to shit.
sometimes i'm a bit envious of people that can take meth and remain functional and happy, but i don't seem to be one of them.
shit fucks me up.
but i guess everyone is different. for me, dexamphetamine is a lot more functional that methamphetamine, but that also has its limits.