• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Why exactly ARE drugs illegal?

white rice

Bluelighter
Yeah sure, drugs are bad for our bodys, but so is alot of other things that are legal. So what's the difference between cigarettes or munching on a pill? Does anyone know of a place that states why the government has made certain things illegal?
------------------
The meaning of life is that it ends.

I don't have an official link or anything, but what I can say is:
1. Tradition: they've been illegal for awhile and the majority of people like that. Most people listen to the government's side on the drug war and believe it because they're too lazy to do any real research.
2. Money: governments make a lot of money from tobacco, alcohol, and pharmaceutical companies and are afraid of losing those donations if drugs were legalized or even if they just told the truth and tried harm reduction programs instead of purely anti-drug campains. They don't realize they would make more money from taxing drugs and not having to pay for housing drug offenders or hospital bills for people who took drugs of a different potency and OD'ed.
3. I HATE to say this but human stupidity and good intentions: many people are just idiots. It's nowhere near as easy to overdose on alcohol as it is on heroin. They have good intentions, but if people were educated, it probably wouldn't happen often. Besides, that's a good way to thin out the gene pool.

~drugs are illegal because the government knows whats good for us. we cant think for ourselves so we need them to tell us what we can and cannot put into our bodies. we shouldnt have the right to alter our own conciousness.never question the gov.
no shit wait, thats not it.....
drugs are illegal because bottom line.....most people are idiots. either they're too ignorant to realize that the War on Drugs is big business for our big government or they're the idiots who are going out and not being responsible (i.e. not praticing any harm reduction techniques).
i second what wickedclown had said, 'traditon'. most drugs have been illegal for decades now and people like it that way...again because most are idiots.
the way i look at is in about 25 to 30 years our generation will be running the country and hopefully the children who grew up in the openminded 90's will realize that drug prohibition is pointless. im not holding my breathe though.
tidbit of info for the day:
the Partnership for a Drug Free America....their whole budget is paid for by the alcohol and tobacco companies.
if you really wanna do something about it then write some letters. join NORML. do something productive to show that you are a responsible drug user and fight for what you believe in!
just my .02
peace
bluE

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Do you seriously not know the answer to this question?
Well okay yeah so cigarettes can give you lung cancer and shit... but the thing that remains is that drugs ALTER the way you think. Drugs make you disoriented and clouds human judgment and most of us are stupid to begin with... plus the drugs makes us retardeder. HAHAHAHA that's not a word but thats okay. Dont get me wrong drugs are a good thing. but when you mess with your thought process its a scary thing. Why alcohol isnt illegal...? That's a good question but alcohol has been embedded into American culture... It's necessary for American society to thrive. without the legality of alcohol you know we'd all go insane. We'd have no where to put our sorrows into. lol...
------------------
I gaurantee you'll get fucked up... even if you dont want to.

The way I look at it is its the governments war right now.They want to spend all this money on a war they will never win.
I can see 500 years from now when the US looks back on these years and relizes how stupid it was to have a war on drugs.If you look at today and 500 years before us look at the difference.Back in the day they would torch people because they thought they were witches.Now,everyone knows better then to belive there are evil witches out to get us.For us I hate to say it but theres no chance drugs will ever be legal in our lifetime.For our great great grandchildren though,it might be a different story.
~Liquid

it all started with a man named Harry Anslinger and his racist actions.
I suggest reading Peter Mcwilliams book "Ain't nobody's business if you do: The absurdity of consensual crimes in our free country"
as previously stated by ACME skateboards: REVOLT!!
[This message has been edited by TM (edited 08 July 2001).]

Because those in power want to continue the status quo, which keeps them where they are.
Psychadelic drugs tend to allow people to look at old issues from new viewpoints (viewpoints not in the chokehold of societal traditions) and give them the desire to make social changes...changes that are detrimantal to those holding economic and political power.
(I'm becoming SUCH a hippie lol.)
------------------
If it's orange and fuzzy, it's FoXy....
"Ed Meese should be ass-fucked by an acid-crazed elk."-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
The study of science is the study of the anatomy of God...spirituality is the psychology....

economics, so the cops have something to do all day... for dare to exist. Government wants people to spend their money on funding.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Another good book about why pot is illegal is _The Emperor Wears No Clothes_ by Jack Herer.

the gov't will regulate anything they can. for chissakes, according to the united states military code of conduct it's illegal to have sex in any position other than missionary, even for a married couple.
off topic, but just making a point. and as long as the majority of americans believe everything they are spoon-fed by the gov't and don't stand up for what they REALLY believe in, nothing will change.
being free in this country isn't really free.
[This message has been edited by Charmgrrl (edited 12 July 2001).]

Perhaps one contributory factor to drugs being made illegal is fear. There is a colossal fear of altered states of consciousness in straight society, which I feel is analogous to fear of alternative sexualities. I've felt both fears myself, before becoming a druggy pervert.
smile.gif

It's deep and irrational and comes mostly from cultural conditioning, but perhaps also because of some ingrained fear of the unknown. Alcohol dampens consciousness, and this seems to be much more controllable than tripping, for example. I feel the health issues that are raised are to some extent a convenient excuse to keep drugs illegal.
Just my 2p's worth...
------------------
If you get a tin that says "does what it says on the tin", what does it do?

um...well i dunno the whole reason but um...i don't think i would want my bus driver back in the day smokin krack cause um...that could be uh..not good hehe i mean in a way it's kinda like think about everyone who does a job that involves the safety of others...now think about them kracked out on whatever drug floats their boat...
~ollie
------------------
~spinnE~
hehehe...be nice

just look whats happening and think!!!!! who benefits from drugs being illegal? Who invented crack? Who lets all the drugs come into this country? Who benefits from the coke wars in latin america? Who sells guns for war on drugs? Who wants make sure that minorities sell drugs and go to jail so they can't vote? just don'y belive the propaganda and never forget that people in power always lie! they lie big time! just open your eyes and see......... who cares about drug addicts? money ruloes...and every body makes mone on drugs EVERYBODY.

No more conspiracy bullshit please. Can some mod put some fucking spaces in that "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...." crap? The whole 'i don't want my bus driver cracked out' is a stupid argument. I have a strange feeling that a person would drive better on crack than on alcohol.

Bhopper, I tried e-mailing you bro. Do you have an address I can reach you at?
And I read "AIn't Nobody's Business If You Do"..
Anymore suggestions of books to read, available online?
applesbliss
smile.gif

------------------
"Ain't Nobody's Business If You Do"
http://www.mcwilliams.com/books/books/aint/toc.htm

Here are a few reasons:
1.) Cancer is big business, developing cures, research, etc makes a lot of money
2.) The ciggs that cause most of the cancer are even bigger money. I heard a statistic once that in the UK more money is brought into the national health service (health care is free over here) through taxation of ciggs than they actually spend curing it. Also guess where the big plantations and companies are located, in the countries like USA with power to force ciggs to be legal no matter the health risk.
3.) Alcohol just because it is culturally excepted in western society. In many cultures tripping on mushrooms or smoking weed are culturally excepted and alcohol frowned upon. I think it was the Mayans (sorry 'bout spelling) who use to execute children found drunk to teach a lesson to the others.
4.) Plain, simple ignorance; most people don't know what their talking about, myths, inaccuracies, and prejudice prevent people from excepting the true facts. Allot of people simple don't understand about drugs. They have it so twisted in their mind they can't see the forest for the trees.
5.) Hemp was seen as a possible threat to paper mills as it could be used to make paper. The mills + news papers where widely to blame for the pressure for the criminillization of weed in USA so far as I know. Once USA made it illegal allot of pressure is then applied to their allies to follow suit.
6.) Just look where most of the worlds coke comes from, small often communist countries, dictatorships, etc, etc, Columbian drug lords. Most western countries simply don't won't money going into these countries, possibly buying weapons, power, influence, they want to keep them poor and stop potential threats. Think what it would be like if the USA was the no.1 coke producer.....
7.) look where most heroin comes from then read 6
8.) The press can quickly whip up public mass hysteria, when ill informed people start spreading rumors the real point gets lost very soon.
9.) there are so many more but I can't be bothered..........................................................................

...this book is very informative...."The forbidden game...a social history of drugs"..Brian Inglis.....