• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Why don't they legalize codeine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackenthesun37

Ex-Bluelighter
Why don't they legalize the 15 milligram pills. It's the safest opioid, and it is very hard to overdose on it. I can recall reading one overdose death on it, but the person was taking it with other drugs.

Because it's a Narcotic... and very habit forming.

Although I wouldn't mind it being legal. It'll help out a lot of addicts IMO.

Say you're connect on your opiate if choice is out of town.. and you're about to hit withdrawal.. codeine would be very useful in those situations..

Also people trying to get clean.. instead of doing that bullshit methadone treatment.. or waiting on a suboxone doctor appt (which takes forever, waiting lists, etc)..

Using codeine would REALLY help manage withdrawal symptoms.

Esp coming off strong opiates, such as Heroin, Fentanyl, Methadone, Opana, etc.

Sure would be a better "home" remedy than Loperamide. As far as I know it's not cardio or neuro toxic. Since the Gov is going after Kratom it probably has a snowballs chance in hell.

Codeine is legal here...well 8 mg tablets anyways. I think some European countries allow higher doses like 15-30 mgs to be sold without prescription

When I was younger, certain codeine products were OTC(or BTC, you had to ask)

Technically, some combo products are still SV even in the US, which means they are controlled at the State level.

So technically, they wouldn't require a federal RX. However, practically every state has now removed these products, or made all Schedule 5's RX only( think gabapentins analog, which actually has minor potential, so is SV, yet RX only; pregabalin, IRC)

However a couple of States may still have them at mom & pops, though they are syrups, and have to have 2 other ingredients, I think, or at least one(APAP)

It is silly, Canada and the UK have tablets without RX.

But what can you do???

OP, you're seriously asking that question in today's political climate? Have you read any American news story that has to do with opiates within the past few years?

The reason why our society works is because reward in theory comes out of hard work. If everyone took shortcuts to reward like you Blackenthesun37 our system would be broken. So let the idiots work, and yourself? Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhttt...shhhhht...low profile. Don't stir any waters. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhht. Be smart. Tell people that you're a hard working citizen, with many many values and defining principles. Lots of values and discipline. Oh yeah. You gotta know how to fuck them over, these morons, otherwise they will marginalize you.

Because codeiene works for pain and it would really fuck up big business like pharm companies, pharmacies, and pain doctors lives.

Also it would be pretty handy for opiate addicts to get their lives back on track.

Up until a year or 2 ago in Ohio you could buy codeine cough syrup with gauifenisen in it. The whole bottle contained like 120mg of codeine in the whole bottle. It was behind the counter and you had to show your license and they wrote your name down in a book to see if you were buying it more than once a month. It was called cheratussin. I would buy one once a month at 3 different stores and save them for when I couldn't get my Roxis.

Up until a year or 2 ago in Ohio you could buy codeine cough syrup with gauifenisen in it. The whole bottle contained like 120mg of codeine in the whole bottle. It was behind the counter and you had to show your license and they wrote your name down in a book to see if you were buying it more than once a month. It was called cheratussin. I would buy one once a month at 3 different stores and save them for when I couldn't get my Roxis.

Wouldn't poppy seed tea have been easier? How much did it cost?

It is truly a shame that even something like tylenol with codeine is not allowed in this country but there are political reasons behind it. However, I recommend poppy seed tea as an over the counter opiate solution for americans today, kratom being the other good option. If you stick with these substances you actually run a lot less risk of the dangers that come with hard opiates. and I know people say poppy seed tea is dangerous because you can't know the dose and while that is certainly true there is a very simple solution - drink your tea slowly. Within an hour or so, you will have a good enough idea how strong the tea is to be able to not overdose.

At the moment in most of Canada it already is legal, I can go to any pharmacy and buy 200 ASA/Acetaminophen for around 10-16 Canadian bucks...It's behind the counter of course, but in Ontario just bouncing between pharmacies makes it easy to get as many as I want. Soak and dissolve in hot water, cool to cold in the fridge and filter with a Kleenex or paper towel, voila 1600mg codeine though, consequently that also adds 15mg per pill of caffeine as well, so if you take 100 mg of codeine you're looking at a around 187.5 mg of caffeine on top of everything. If you assume a coffee sits ~95mg per percolated cup, you literally are investing nearly 2 cups in one shot all at once.

Not something that would kill a healthy person, but it's something to keep in mind...Doing it with any regularity is going to be pretty rough on your heart, particularly as dose increases...at my "heavier" points I've used 400 mg of codeine in a pop, tha'ts 750 mg of caffeine if my math is right, about 8 cups of coffee all at once in about 50 or 60 ml of fluid...again, unless you have a heart or circulatory issue it's not something that's going to kill you, but still, that's a LOT of caffeine to take all at once. It's just something to take into account. There are ways to remove it of course, but frankly I didn't really have the time or resources to bother. I will say, during those times I used far too heavily and went into withdrawal, having to cold turkey both an opiate AND caffeine at the same time is a chore and a half...wound up stocking up on coffee and just chucking huge jugs of coffee so I could deal with the unpleasantness of codeine withdrawal on it's own.

Anyway, back to the question, it's easy as getting a pack of cigarettes is in Ontario, some pharmacists if they see you buying bottles every day will say something, mainly chain stores like Shopper's Drug Mart and the like, but I know I've bought 4 or 5 bottles of 200 at places like Walmart and they don't give a.rats ass, will literally greet me after a bit with "so, 200 then?".

I can't speak for elsewhere, Ontario is great, I have a friend who moved nearby Edmonton and they're apparently much more anal, they require she show her heath card, then enter it into a database that I think is centralized to most larger pharmacy chains. On top of that they only seem willing to give 50 or sometimes 100 bottles at most, they don't even apparently carry the 200 sizes. The database seems to keep all but the mom and pop smaller pharmacies in the loop, if she buys 50 at one store, goes to another and buys another 50 they will notice she just got 50 elsewhere and wonder why she needs another 50. I can't speak to other provinces...But yeah, aside from how watched they are, ASA and acetaminophen 1's, with 8 mg codeine and 15 mg caffeine are over the counter, no need for script (hence the caffeine, it's a legal thing forcing OTC narcotics like this to have one or more extra ingredient). To get anything of higher stregth, T2, T3 for example you need a script, easy enough to get really if you "have some pain" and the NSAID, ibuprofen approach isn't helping. T4's aren't something you'll find though, my mom used to have some occasionally when she was a nurse that got left in her scrubs by accident...At that point you're likely looking more at an injection than pills and are crossing the point doctors will just be deciding to use dilaudid or percocets instead. They exist, but unless you're in a hospital as an employee your not liable to see them...2 and 3 are all over though, and the 1s anyone can get...Sorry for the rambling diatribe, just trying to give a complete picture :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.