• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Why don't people use a blender when making poppy seed tea?

pocketsevens

Bluelighter
I've been searching all over looking for different recipes, and I was just curious why no one uses a blender to "shake" the seeds. I'm trying it now on the lowest setting and it seems like a good idea. It doesn't actually cut the seeds, just mixes them around and does a damn better job than I would. Can anyone think of any reason I shouldn't be doing it this way?

Most people don't buy a separate blender for that purpose and don't want to [accidentally] spike their wife's/kid's banana smoothie with opium.

People don't use blenders because even on low settings they can crush the poppyseeds and release all the oils on the inside. This makes your poppy seed tea an oily disgusting mess.

The whole idea with poppy seed tea is to wash off whatever is on the outside of the seeds. The solubility of it in mildly acidic water is plenty high enough that you don't really need to soak for hours...

Shaking them in a bottle is more abrasive and forces more contact between the seeds, maybe. A blender might be too gentle.

Only one way to find out. If the tea is medium-brown like leather and bitter, it's probably good. In the future, I would just stick to shaking them in a bottle for five minutes in room-temperature water. I've found that cold water doesn't work very well and hot water makes the tea oily and viscous.

Okay, thank you! Honestly I've done it both ways without very good results. I used about 3 cups this time. For the first wash I did the shaking in a bottle method; I only did the blender thing on the second wash. I don't have a scale so idk how much I'm actually ingesting.. if a cup is 5 ounces then it's less than half a pound so I guess that's probably why nothing mind blowing has happened. I just feel like I'm doing something wrong. To strain I've been using a friggin sock, haha. Seeds get everywhere. I guess my hestitancy to use more seeds is because I think I'm doing it wrong and I don't want to waste tons of seeds if I fuck it up. If you make it with about a pound of seeds, how much liquid do you use, and how much do you actually end up drinking? Everyone says to fill it "an inch above the seeds" but I feel like I'm not clear on what that means since there's always some seeds floating around.

It's not a science. You can use too much water, you'll just end up having to drink more. With a pound of seeds, I'd put them in a two liter bottle, then add a bit of water and shake. The water settles to the bottom and the seeds begin to become a slurry. Keep adding water and shaking to test to slurry for its viscosity. Eventually the seeds will be easily shaken and you'll find a sweet spot where you don't end up with too much water. Use room-temperature water from the tap or drinking water from a bottle, not from a refrigerator. Close the lid and shake, turning upside down occasionally and shaking from side-to-side. Shake hard for a few seconds each minute, resting if you need, but not too long. This really only needs to be done for five minutes. After ten minutes, your seeds will begin to swell and you will lose some of the opiates in the water.

Now sit the bottle upright on the counter and bang the lid with the palm of your hand to allow the seeds stuck under the cap to loosen. Twist the cap about halfway off, to allow the water to escape but not the seeds. Hold it over a cup and squeeze. You can use your index finger to hold the cap if you're worried it might fall off, but it usually doesn't. Squeeze it from the bottom until foam bubbles come out. Rewash the seeds and repeat. You should have about a liter and a half of water after two washes.

If it comes out murky brown, it's probably good. It should have a nutty bitterness to it. One pound is enough for me to "feel something", and two pounds gets me to nodville. PM me if you need help.

Blending poppyseeds won't ruin it or make you sick, it's just going to make it taste stronger.