• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why Don't I Get Addicted to Cigarettes?

K12

Bluelighter
O.K. so it seems to me that many people can go out and have a drink or two and not "chain-drink" all day long. People pop pills (hydros, oxys) and keep it in check (only on weekends)

So what am I missing? I smoke maybe once or twice a week and always catch a nice nicotine buzz when I smoke. People are like "oh you are addicted to nicotine?" and I'm like, "no I am not addicted and they are like yeah right!" But I really am not addicted to cigarettes. I don't care if I smoke or not. I just know it gives me a nice buzz. When people chain smoke all day long and are not content with a cig once or twice a week as needed is beyond me. I just don't get it. Not trollin just unsure why peeps don't keep this in check.

some people just dont have addictive personalities. i myself can enjoy a cig once in a while but most of my friends smoke like a pack a day. ive dabbed into very addictive substances such as benzos and enjoy them on the weekends but never have gotten addicted because i can control myself. i dont have an addictive personality and you might not either.

addiction isnt instant. over time your body is getting used to the nicotene. smoking a single smoke once or twice a week isnt that bad, but pretty silly and useless at the same time

me either. i know people who smoke 2 or 3 in a row and i dont get it. wats there to be addicted to? a 5 minute head rush? its nice every once in awhile but i never got addicted. even when i hang with heavy smokers i match them and thr next day i have no desire or craving for a stoge

in my opinion smoking is only good when off your face on something. preferably stimulants or booze or whatever, other than that its shit. i cant understand why people smoke loads

I don't mean to come off as rude to you people but...

Don't you ever for one second think you people are immune to addiction because you are not and you never will be.

^wtf? My friend used heroin for about 5, maybe 6 years, never once had a problem with addiction. Some people really are that good at controlling themselves, in essence, making themselves "immune" to addiction. Just because you aren't doesn't mean others can't be either.

I'm not even gonna bother to start arguing with you and in the process destroying this thread...

I'm not even gonna bother to start arguing with you and in the process destroying this thread...

it takes a good year of smoking to get addicted..

until you have had the nictotine withdrawals and thought to your self damn just over this shit?

but yea this thread could turn into a smoker vs non smoker thread real quick

addiction isnt instant. over time your body is getting used to the nicotene. smoking a single smoke once or twice a week isnt that bad, but pretty silly and useless at the same time

exactly.

i did what you for over a year, and i genuinely think that i wasn't addicted.

thing is, somewhere down the line, it catches up with you. it's very slow, so slow you don't even realize it!!

I tried smoking when I was in Europe a few summers ago when I was visiting relatives for 3 months. People sit around cafes all day drinking a different variety of coffees & smoking cigs & I also did it to go with the flow but could never get hooked on cigs for what ever reason & im glad I couldnt because when you smoke cigs, your clothing stinks & everything else that comes with smoking.

i always smoked heavily with dope, and other drugs.....

but smoking is one thing i never got addicted to......when i got off dope and on bupe, i stopped smoking, and have not even thought about it once....

I don't mean to come off as rude to you people but...

Don't you ever for one second think you people are immune to addiction because you are not and you never will be.

i dont think any of us are saying were immune to addiction. its just some people cant handle themselves when they are introduced to a drug and go all out for a couple months and then find themselves physically addicted.

but if you are smart and respect drugs like only doing them once in a while then you wont be physically addicted to it, therefore you dont have to worry about addiction.

For me its a whole other story, when i drink or take uppers is when i smoke back to back. But with downers i completely forget about smoking ciggaretes.

Yea i am the same way, my general rule is when im fucked up on anything i will be down for a cig. But even if im just hanging out with a friend i will have a stoge with him. I how ever never have that craving or feeling by my self to go out and get some cigarettes. Only when i see a friend having one. It's odd because i have even bought a couple of packs for my self before but i can never sustain a nicotine addiction. Probably because i know that 5 min buzz is the shittiest buzz there is for the damage it can induce.

I think addiction depends on a number of factors, including how much you really enjoy a substance and how it affects your brain chemistry. There may be some people who do indeed have addictive personalities and others who can try anything under the sun and never become dependent, but I think most others fall somewhere in the middle of this spectrum. You can try substance A, B or C and not have an issue, but then run into drug D, and whoopsie...full blown addiction.
My father smoked for sixty years, so he was quite the nicotine addict. He'd stop for a while, but always go back. He did finally quit recently, but it took him a long time and a cancer diagnosis to finally make him stop.
Me, I've tried smoking. Its ok, sort of relaxing, but nothing more. There was a time when I was working at a job and the only way to get a break was to go outside for a cigerette break, so I smoked about a cigerette a day for a few months until I quit the job. Back when my father was smoking, I would occasionally sit outside with him and bum a cigarette. But this was literally maybe like 3 or 4 a year. When cigerettes aren't around , I don't think about them or have any urge to smoke. Even if there was a pack right in front of me, I probably wouldn't even break the seal on it.

No one in my family is an alcoholic. My dad likes an occasional beer, I enjoy a mixed drink perhaps once or twice a month, maybe even less.

Guess I don't have an addictive personallity right? Well that's what I thought too, until I "discovered" opiates.
From the time I first got prescribed Vicodin for a toothache several years ago, I knew I had met my match. I didn't get addicted right away, well physically anyway....but mentally they had me in their grip and a few years later me and my "non addictive personality" had a pretty strong love and need for anything and everything derived from the lovely Papaver Somniferium. Well almost everything. Never made the jump to heroin, but only because I'm too scared. However, as hard it is to admit, I don't think there's much of a difference between my brain and that of some homeless junkie who takes the needle. Non addictive personalties? Maybe they exist, but I'm pretty convinced that nearly everyone has the capacity for some kind of dependence.

Last edited:
^wtf? My friend used heroin for about 5, maybe 6 years, never once had a problem with addiction. Some people really are that good at controlling themselves, in essence, making themselves "immune" to addiction. Just because you aren't doesn't mean others can't be either.

That sounds like an addiction to me... but W/E

Just because you dont do it everyday doesnt mean your not hooked or addicted.

That sounds like an addiction to me... but W/E

Just because you dont do it everyday doesnt mean your not hooked or addicted.

Technically the definition of addiction is when the action has a negative impact on aspects of your life. Of course this is all subjective, but technically if you choose to live on an island, alone, with an inifinite supply of heroin, and thought your life was neutral/positive due to that, you would not be addicted :)

Anyway, I'm happy I never got addicted to cigs, when I smoke them I don't inhale them, I just suck the smoke into my mouth.

Like others have said there are a lot of people who don't become "addicted" lmfao I hate saying that word.