• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Why does suboxone make alcohol ineffective?

pocketsevens

Bluelighter
I just noticed that since I've been on suboxone alcohol doesn't work at all. I feel like I can't get drunk no matter how much I take. Does anyone else have that experience? Anyone know what would cause that? I being able to get buzzed.

I've heard about people having different reactions to alcohol while on subs but never heard about not being able to get drunk at all. What are you drinking beer or liquor? How much alcohol all together and what's your sub dose?

Sub dose is 4mg and alcohol has been about 6 shots. I give up after 6 because before I started taking Subs I would be hammered at that point.. and I don't see the point in doing the harm to my body if 6 shots doesn't make me feel anything. Muah.

Well to be honest I can still get inebriated, it seems. I'm just basing this on the lack of judgement that still seems to be there after I drink. But the good feeling of being drunk is just completely gone, so much so that I keep thinking I don't feel anything at all.

I just noticed that since I've been on suboxone alcohol doesn't work at all. I feel like I can't get drunk no matter how much I take. Does anyone else have that experience? Anyone know what would cause that? I being able to get buzzed.

Yep, happens to me. I just get more and more tired, but I wasn't sure which drug was causing the issue, I though maybe my 10-15mgs of Valium was the culprit. Those receptors really play as equal a part as any body function or organ if you ask me. We have no idea what changes may occur.

But yes, I cannot achieve that buzz that says "Go on bud, have another drink and you'll feel even better than now". I fuckin miss that buzz, it would motivate me to work on my music, writing lyrics becomes too tedious and boring when I've had too much. I usually drink 80-100 proof vodka/rum - slam a couple of doubles down while puffing on a spliff thinking up melodies....i miss the buzz.....so like any good citizen I'll turn to Methylamphetamine.

So you reckon it's Suboxone that's mucking up our booze buzz?

Anyone else?

Well to be honest I can still get inebriated, it seems. I'm just basing this on the lack of judgement that still seems to be there after I drink. But the good feeling of being drunk is just completely gone, so much so that I keep thinking I don't feel anything at all.

Same for me. Opioids +Alcohol is always a bad combination and feels shitty. I have completely stopped drinking since being into opioids for exactly that reason.
Be glad about it, alcohol is a crappy drug.

^Booze is bad, no doubt, it's for degreasing engines especially the shit I tend to drink but this "Loss of magic" with booze ffs it's really fucking annoying.

I can't get a buzz off alcohol since i was an opiate addict.
Frankly i'm appreciative of it though. Can see how it would be annoying for some.

YES! finally a thread about this... yea man I have been on suboxone maintenance for 4 years now, I can not drink alcohol anymore. Even if I try I can not get drunk... at all. Whenever I would try all I would end up feeling was an uncomfortable loss of motor skills, no good feeling whatsoever. Its like when you drink on subs you will feel all the negative effectives of alcohol but none of the good feelings.

Have a glass of wine they say, have a beer with us! Na man IM good is what I always have to say these days. I can not enjoy alcohol while on subs. Cant even remember the last time I got drunk or even buzzed from alcohol its literally been years.

also the naltrexone in suboxone definitely has something to do with it. I know there was a whole thread on this site recently about the naltrexone being ineffective or inert when it comes to blocking opiates, BUT we are talking about alcohol here and I believe it is that same naltrexone that ruins alcohol for us. I mean, they give naltrexone pills to recovering alcoholics, and I have read reports about them feeling the same way when trying to drink on those pills....

I'm no scientist and a lot of my knowledge on drugs is "experience-based", so I don't always, or usually, have straight science to back up a lot of my experiences or observations, but I'm familiar with the peculiar interactions between alcohol and Opioids. Besides the obvious, being alcohol's enhanced depressive synergy when consumed with Opioids, it seems that being dependent upon Opioids seems to definitely change the way we experience and the effects that we get from alcohol.

I like William Burroughs but I don't worship him like some people. His books provide some useful insight on a lot of junkie-related topics though. In his book "Junkie" Burroughs discusses his lack of desire to consume alcohol while being dependent upon Morphine/Heroin, but later on in the book, when he is forced to come clean, his desire to drink alcohol returns and he notes clearly that the experience of alcohol's effects are significantly more enjoyable without Opioids in the system. Later on he becomes a piss-your-pants drunk for a time.

I've experienced the same phenomenon. While I'm on Methadone Maintenance or otherwise maintaining an Opioid habit, alcohol has absolutely no appeal to me and the thought of it can even make me sick to my stomach. Whereas, when I'm not maintaining on any kind of Opioid, I can get a really euphoric experience from a few quick drinks and have fun going out drinking with friends.

I don't know how to explain the phenomenon, but it's a real thing and I've known others who have shared the same experience.

Why would you be glad of a drug stoping you from enjoying an other drug? If you don't wanna get drunk, just don't drink. Drinking means you wanna be drunk so it makes sense if not being able to get there feels annoying.

Why would you be glad of a drug stoping you from enjoying an other drug? If you don't wanna get drunk, just don't drink. Drinking means you wanna be drunk so it makes sense if not being able to get there feels annoying.

I don't like being drunk, so i'm ok with the fact that my body doesnt process alcohol the way it does for other people.
I have done lots of dumb things on alcohol, so i'm happier without it in my life.

I'm no scientist and a lot of my knowledge on drugs is "experience-based", so I don't always, or usually, have straight science to back up a lot of my experiences or observations, but I'm familiar with the peculiar interactions between alcohol and Opioids. Besides the obvious, being alcohol's enhanced depressive synergy when consumed with Opioids, it seems that being dependent upon Opioids seems to definitely change the way we experience and the effects that we get from alcohol.

I like William Burroughs but I don't worship him like some people. His books provide some useful insight on a lot of junkie-related topics though. In his book "Junkie" Burroughs discusses his lack of desire to consume alcohol while being dependent upon Morphine/Heroin, but later on in the book, when he is forced to come clean, his desire to drink alcohol returns and he notes clearly that the experience of alcohol's effects are significantly more enjoyable without Opioids in the system. Later on he becomes a piss-your-pants drunk for a time.

I've experienced the same phenomenon. While I'm on Methadone Maintenance or otherwise maintaining an Opioid habit, alcohol has absolutely no appeal to me and the thought of it can even make me sick to my stomach. Whereas, when I'm not maintaining on any kind of Opioid, I can get a really euphoric experience from a few quick drinks and have fun going out drinking with friends.

I don't know how to explain the phenomenon, but it's a real thing and I've known others who have shared the same experience.

you hit the nail on the head

I don't like being drunk, so i'm ok with the fact that my body doesnt process alcohol the way it does for other people.
I have done lots of dumb things on alcohol, so i'm happier without it in my life.

Yeah but if you don't like it don't drink it, right?