• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Why does Sertraline zombify me?

Hanse

Greenlighter
My brief period (6 months) on Sertraline has been that it sapped my creativity and basically made me not want to do anything, not feel anything. I just sit at the computer and watch videos and occasionally walk around, or eat, or go to the bathroom. I just don't have any drive to really do very much of anything, except what is needed for continued survival. I don?t even want to watch movies and series!

Is that normal?

It's a good anxiolytic (?), but I wonder if its anxiolytic effect derives from the fact that I don't care anymore...

It was good though in relieving my psychosomatic ailments.

There are almost always pros as well as cons to medication. It's just figuring out what one is roughly larger. I know it may be hard to think back, but the past can tell you what degree of health you were in before starting the medication. Also, being on multiple medications isn't uncommon, not as much as it used to be. But only your doctor will know if it's right or wrong to do. Some people switch meds. Some people lower meds. And so on...

Do you function? Do you get out of your room/house and do things for the world? Sometimes it takes some bare, personal motivation to start up such a routine. But it's worth it! Socializing is key here. If you're working or going to school, you're functioning and contributing to society. When we get used to not doing much, it takes more effort to do stuff. But after a month or so, these good habits will become just that: habits.

I found mindfulness meditation to be really helpful. It clarifies my goals for me. Along with exercise, decent eating habits (read: decent), schoolwork, volunteering, and socializing, I function. I would be a total wreck without these factors in place. In the end, the only chemicals that make you feel good while doing nothing are chemicals that lead down the slippery slope of addiction. To feel good, do good!

Do you function? Do you get out of your room/house and do things for the world?
No, not really. I get less things done on Sertraline than without Sertraline...

I can't get my ass up on SSRIs. It's just all "blahhh"...
(I've been diagnosed with Depression and SAD)

In these instances, I use CBT to kick myself in the tush to do things.

But if you really can't do anything, you might want to tell your doctor. No matter the medication, if you can't function, you tend to get depressed.

I just sit at the computer and watch videos and occasionally walk around, or eat, or go to the bathroom. I just don't have any drive to really do very much of anything, except what is needed for continued survival. I don?t even want to watch movies and series!

Is that normal?

It ( The SSRI's) antagonize dopamine in the basal ganglia and cause Abulia, Anergia, Apathy and innability to activate or sustain spontaneous movement. It also can make you very complacent and catatonic. Like a Zombie.

See if you can add a stim, wellbutrin or caffeine to mitigate these effects.

It ( The SSRI's) antagonize dopamine in the basal ganglia and cause Abulia, Anergia, Apathy and innability to activate or sustain spontaneous movement. It also can make you very complacent and catatonic. Like a Zombie.

See if you can add a stim, wellbutrin or caffeine to mitigate these effects.
Would adding Nortriptyline help?
Or Clomipramine standalone?

In these instances, I use CBT to kick myself in the tush to do things.

But if you really can't do anything, you might want to tell your doctor. No matter the medication, if you can't function, you tend to get depressed.
ok.

My brief period (6 months) on Sertraline has been that it sapped my creativity and basically made me not want to do anything, not feel anything. I just sit at the computer and watch videos and occasionally walk around, or eat, or go to the bathroom. I just don't have any drive to really do very much of anything, except what is needed for continued survival. I don?t even want to watch movies and series!

Is that normal?

Yeah that's how I felt on it too. Like a zombie, going through the motions. I actively avoided talking to/hanging out with other people and it didn't bother me. That's really bad considering how introverted I was to begin with.

SSRI's kind of limit your range of affect and it centers around "just ok" feeling, it really sucks. It can help some people but it sounds like it's a bad fit for you. What dose are you on? Have you thought about tapering down to a lower dose?

Sounds about right and was unaware of this specific brain effect.

Would adding Nortriptyline help?
Or Clomipramine standalone?
Site Ki (nM) Species Ref
SERT 15–18 Human [12][13]
NET 1.8–4.4 Human [12][13]
DAT 1,140 Human [12]
5-HT1A 294 Human [14]
5-HT2A 5.0–41 Human/rat [15][14]
5-HT2C 8.5 Rat [15]
5-HT3 1,400 Rat [16]
5-HT6 148 Rat [17]
α1 55 Human [14]
α2 2,030 Human [14]
β >10,000 Rat [18]
D2 2,570 Human [14]
H1 3.0–15 Human [19][14][20]
H2 646 Human [19]
H3 45,700 Human [19]
H4 6,920 Human [19]
mACh 37 Human [14]
M1 40 Human [21]
M2 110 Human [21]
M3 50 Human [21]
M4 84 Human [21]
M5 97 Human [21]
σ1 2,000 Guinea pig [22]
Values are Ki (nM). The smaller the value, the more strongly the drug binds to the site.

You don't need any Clomipramine!! its very high binding to SERT! Add Nortryptyline to Zoloft!

Nort has been shown to help. It's more a Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor than SERT so YES Neurologists and Psychiatrists use it for injuries to the Head of the Left Caudate nucleus, which causes severe Abulia and apaty.

I would def give that a shot!

Last edited:
Yeah that's how I felt on it too. Like a zombie, going through the motions. I actively avoided talking to/hanging out with other people and it didn't bother me. That's really bad considering how introverted I was to begin with.
Yes, it is definitely disconcerting.

It is paradox to take something that causes the very same symptoms that one is trying to get rid of in the first place...

What dose are you on? Have you thought about tapering down to a lower dose?
50mg.

It's better than 100mg, but nonetheless quite zombifying.

Site Ki (nM) Species Ref
SERT 15–18 Human [12][13]
NET 1.8–4.4 Human [12][13]
DAT 1,140 Human [12]
5-HT1A 294 Human [14]
5-HT2A 5.0–41 Human/rat [15][14]
5-HT2C 8.5 Rat [15]
5-HT3 1,400 Rat [16]
5-HT6 148 Rat [17]
α1 55 Human [14]
α2 2,030 Human [14]
β >10,000 Rat [18]
D2 2,570 Human [14]
H1 3.0–15 Human [19][14][20]
H2 646 Human [19]
H3 45,700 Human [19]
H4 6,920 Human [19]
mACh 37 Human [14]
M1 40 Human [21]
M2 110 Human [21]
M3 50 Human [21]
M4 84 Human [21]
M5 97 Human [21]
σ1 2,000 Guinea pig [22]
Values are Ki (nM). The smaller the value, the more strongly the drug binds to the site.

You don't need any Clomipramine!! its very high binding to SERT! Add Nortryptyline to Zoloft!

Nort has been shown to help. It's more a Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor than SERT so YES Neurologists and Psychiatrists use it for injuries to the Head of the Left Caudate nucleus, which causes severe Abulia and apaty.

I would def give that a shot!
No

btw.: Clomipramine is the strongest SRI known, but it is also a potent NRI and 5HT2-antagonist. Would it cause zombification?

Your doctor knows best about how Mirtazapine/Amitriptyline would affect you. That's their entire job. It's what they spent years and years and years learning about

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is getting out of order.

We don't sanction you self-medicating. trying to "talk your doctor into it" is thinly-veiled attempted self-medicating.

Our opinions pale in comparison to the well-conducted studies and functions that psychiatrists are aware of in prescribing medication.

This thread is one post away form getting closed. Sorry. We just don't play doctor in MH.

No

btw.: Clomipramine is the strongest SRI known, but it is also a potent NRI and 5HT2-antagonist. Would it cause zombification?

Your doctor knows best about how Mirtazapine/Amitriptyline would affect you. That's their entire job. It's what they spent years and years and years learning about

You don't need any SRI Synergy!! Zoloft does a good job with your SRI.Clomipramine's potent SRI effect was the gold standard where SRI would be the best choice for controlling Severe OCD! Clomip's NRI is NOT potent. Nort was suggested as the ratio for an adjunct is desireable. it's been used for Anergia in Basal ganglia lesions many, Many times with good success.

Wellbutrin, methylphenidate, stratterra, Endorax and even stims leave clomip in the dust!!

Last edited:

Is that normal?

look at studies here

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/

Is that normal?

Found journal https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5463133/

This thread is getting out of order.

We don't sanction you self-medicating. trying to "talk your doctor into it" is thinly-veiled attempted self-medicating.

Our opinions pale in comparison to the well-conducted studies and functions that psychiatrists are aware of in prescribing medication.

This thread is one post away form getting closed. Sorry. We just don't play doctor in MH.
How shall i formulate it more "conveniently"?

Shall I taper off that Sh*t Reuptake inhibitor? Not sure... my next appointment is in 3 months and I don't want to wait.