• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Why does overconsumption of caffeine cause me to fatigue in sports?

Yeah Caffeine makes u absorb basically ZERO IRON if you eat a supplement or meal with it after drinking coffee within 2 Hours of taking Iron before 1 hour 2 hours after eating.

I guess you missed my post saying essentially the same thing but I literally told you an exact sign to look for. BPM

First you need to find your resting heart rate, then you need to find your max heart. Put it in this calculator and it will show you the different optimal target heart rate zones for you personally. Then you can start by drinking different amount of coffee before your runs and finding out how much is too much by seeing if 2 or 3 cups puts you out of your optimal heart rate zone.

http://www.runningforfitness.org/ca...rs/hrzone?minHR=60&maxHR=192&Submit=Calculate

BTW Before the army I was a personal trainer, in the army I was the winner of the Iron Soldier award and heard of the warrior athlete program in my platoon. So trust me when I tell you I know what I am talking about.

Hey man, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but whatever number I put into the box for resting heart rate my max heart rate ALWAYS comes as 192 no matter what I put down!!

So if I put in 72, which is my resting heart rate, it comes out 192, or if I put in 192, or if I put in 1, it always comes out 192.

Am I doing something wrong here??

How do I get this calculator to work properly??

Maximum heart rate for age is an elusive number. The usual equation is 220 – age = maximum heart rate (MHR), but that does not play out well when you look at individuals as many can tolerate higher heart rates and others cannot attain the formula driven number. This formula was empirically derived from young athletes. A study by Tanaka in 2001 looking at a broader age distribution showed that this formula often underestimated the MHR in older subjects and a revised formula fitted to the data resulted in this formula: MHR = 208 – 0.7(age). Another look at this by Gellish in 2007 showed good correlation to stress testing results using MHR = 207 – 0.7(age)

http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-the-sports-doc/what-is-my-maximum-heart-rate

There are a few different ways, but you are supposed to input your own max heart rate. Then all those tables bellow show the rates for the different target zones.

Last edited:
http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-the-sports-doc/what-is-my-maximum-heart-rate

There are a few different ways, but you are supposed to input your own max heart rate. Then all those tables bellow show the rates for the different target zones.

How can I know what my own max heart rate is??

I have no idea what it is, all I know is that my resting heart rate is 72.

Also, I don't even understand what a "target zone" is!!

You've got to explain this to me man.

All I am getting from what you are saying is that everyone has a max heart rate that they can't go over or else if they do they can no longer perform well and that your theory is that by overconsumption of coffee plus exercise I am causing myself to pass that max heart rate and gas out early.

So isn't my max heart rate the ONLY thing I need to figure out, along with what my heart rate ends up being after intense exercise with the amount of caffeine I drink??

Like are you suggesting that while I am doing heavy Jiu-Jitsu (my sport of choice) that once I get really fatigued I should stop and take my heart rate and see what it is??

Please explain.

Thanks

Last edited:
How can I know what my own max heart rate is??

guess it using the provided formula (220 minus your age) or measure yourself with a pulse meter as you are exercising, gradually increasing in intensity until you reach your maximum tolerable exertion, them measure your heart rate at that point.

Also, I don't even understand what a "target zone" is!!

It says pretty clearly what they are in the calculator page. Different ranges of heart rates will essentially give you a guide to how your body will perform and how much physical stress you put on it.

guess it using the provided formula (220 minus your age) or measure yourself with a pulse meter as you are exercising, gradually increasing in intensity until you reach your maximum tolerable exertion, them measure your heart rate at that point.

It says pretty clearly what they are in the calculator page. Different ranges of heart rates will essentially give you a guide to how your body will perform and how much physical stress you put on it.

Ok, so the idea is if you go past your max heart rate you won't be able to effectively perform athletically??

Not that you'd have a heart attack at that point lol...

Also though...doesn't passing your max heart rate just mean you'd fatigue AEROBICALLY in terms of lung capacity??

What does that say about the intense MUSCLE CRAMPING I get in my arms and legs which are in fact the worst part of the fatigue I experience??

That's why I was wondering how the earlier article played into the information that you and Mad Dash are giving me.

I DO experience involuntary muscle cramping and it is my MUSCLES more so than my heart which seem to unable to perform properly when I consume too much caffeine.

Why would this be if it is all about the heart??

Something to do with the heart not being able to get sufficient blood supply to the extremities or something like that??

Or maybe it has to do with lactic acid??

I went back and looked at the calculator and now I get it so maybe I'm in that lactate zone where I am producing too much lactic acid in my muscles when they are fatiguing.

It also says you should "only train in your red line zone if you are very fit and only for a very short period of time", but the problem is that when I am doing Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, boxing and MMA training I have NO IDEA what my heart rate is and I"m not just able to stop sparring in the middle of it and take my heart rate to find out if I should continue or not lol....

I mean, what happens if I AM in that red line zone and I just keep going??

Am I going to have a heart attack or stroke or something?

Or am I more likely to just fatigue and slow down because I can't go any faster??

That's usually what happens when I get to the point where I am fatigued, I may "keep going" but I'll be going at a snail's pace which I guess is my body's way of protecting my heart from overwork??......

Last edited:
Or am I more likely to just fatigue and slow down because I can't go any faster??

That's usually what happens when I get to the point where I am fatigued, I may "keep going" but I'll be going at a snail's pace which I guess is my body's way of protecting my heart from overwork??......

It would be worthwhile brushing up on physiology and how it relates to excercise.

Excercising at the peak of your cardiac performance basically puts your body into a mode where it has to expend energy faster than it can produce it by oxidatively breaking down sugars. Your body starts consuming fuel faster than it can deliver it to your muscles. This is known as anaerobic ametabolism and it will work for limited amounts of time only before waste products build up and you hit a 'wall' of sorts. It's what allows people to perform sprints and heavy periods of exertion but as you know it will only work so well.

See if you can get a FitBit or something like it, I know there are wearable heart rate monitors that are availiable in a bracelet type form factor.

The best thing to do would be to train at slightly lower intensity levels until you can do so for long periods of time without getting winded. Pushing yourself into the redline zone won't do you very much good compared to staying slightly below it.

I guess part of it is noticing your body's signs and listening to it, in a sense.