• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc why does my friend get high off of pseudoephedrine?

nancy145

Bluelighter
so one day my friend was sick and he took sudafed(pseudoephedrine) and he started tripping out and even had an OBE. he told me what happened and i looked up if you can get high off of it and i couldn't find anyone saying it's possible. i told him you can't get high off of it and said it was probably placebo or a dream(he was lying down in his bed the whole time)and he figured it probably was too. a few weeks later he felt sick and took it again, but this time he wasnt sick enough to miss school so he showed up and started trippin out in class. he thouroghly didnt belive it got him high after i said it didnt the first time,ruling out the possibility it couldve been placebo, he was fully awake,ruling out the chance it couldve been a dream, and he cares a lot what people think about him and doesn't want anyone other than me and a few other close friends knowing he does drugs,ruling out the possibility he could just have been making it up. does anyone know why this stuff gets him high or how safe it is?

Was it just pseudoephedrine? Sudafed makes a bunch of other cough and cold products.

Pseudoephedrine is generally more of a mild stimulant if anything, it sounds like he probably had an antihistamine or even some DXM.

Honestly though, everyone responds to drugs differently, some people just have crazy strange responses to certain drugs. It's tough to say exactly why sometimes other than to note that it happens and maybe avoid certain substances if they're troublesome.

TL;DR - Responding to title, kind of.

I've gotten high off suda-fed, not a good high... once I only noticed small things, tense muscles... and weird vision.. then the next time, COMPLETELY LOST my short term memory (and some long term -- found it very hard to dig, couldn't remember what I was talking about 5 seconds ago but was completely sane).

it's really gross if/when you get high off of it... never TRY to get high off the stuff, I haven't.

Personal experience I wanted to share... not sure why your friend and I get mind-altering effects.

Last edited:
TL;DR - Responding to title, kind of.

I've gotten high off suda-fed, not a good high... once I only noticed small things, tense muscles... and weird vision.. then the next time, COMPLETELY LOST my short term memory (and some long term -- found it very hard to dig, couldn't remember what I was talking about 5 seconds ago but was completely sane).

it's really gross if/when you get high off of it... never TRY to get high off the stuff, I haven't.

Personal experience I wanted to share... not sure why your friend and I get mind-altering effects.
you had permamnent short term memory problems or just short term memory problems while on it?

turns out it had DXM in it, and he got high off of a normal dose because some people are ultrasentitove to DXM. meant to post that a while ago but i was too lazy to until i forgot

Yeah DXM will intoxicate you.

I dunno if regular use is healthy but I did it often when I was younger and still do many years later every now and then.

When I come off opiates I use it to deal with the pain or if life is seriously overwhelming me I like to disassociate from the world for a while.

I ain't knockin' it or condoning it but there are plenty worse drugs you could do that are not nearly as pleasurable as DXM at least for me is still something I enjoy.

I will mention that it has a rather heavy body load (look it up), so its gonna throw you around a bit on the comeup and it lasts for a very long time as well.

So you are looking at a rather prolonged trip that is mostly mental and physical rather than extremely visual but don't underestimate the strength of a drug ever. I find with hallucinogens there is no choice but to go with the flow and well that is a personal thing as to whether or not you can get down like that.

yea ive done plenty of DXM too, love that stuff. severe hypersiensitivity is somewhat common tho, and if you have the hypersentitivity problem you really shouldnt use it. a lot of overdoses(non fatal) happen from it, even if u know you have hypersentitivity and know what your doing and all. non fatal DXM overdoses cause insaine short term memory loss permanantly. like you literally forget what your talking about midsentence ever other minute.

Erowid has a great dosing guide.

You might want to start at threshhold cuz the come up is a bit rough.

You can always take more but you can't untake a drug and well trips play with your mind and some people love it and some people can't stand it and fight it and end up having a bad trip.

I never had a bad trip. Do I think I could? Yep, absolutely but I take my shit in the right setting being well informed of the dose and substance with a long history of psychadelic use so I am not new to it.

My first trip I did have the feeling my brain was melting for a bit as I listened to "Dark Side of The Moon" on repeat for most the trip after the body load literally floored me. That being said I laughed at it as I knew that was not possible and everything was all good.

i remember the first time i took pseudoephedrine in high school for sickness, i remember it having a good effect on me..i dont know if i would call it a high but i felt more energized and loose, more social too..just happier in general..i was like hmm..

I don't get high off of Pseudoephedrine the way the original poster and person above me described; but when I take a large dose of it like 240mg with or without 10mg of Loratadine, the drug is akin to a stimulant to me, and I have met other people who said it's like that for them. I have never gotten high on DXM.

It wasn't always like that and I used to take it in highschool and college, and all it did was get rid of my allergies, and I would party all night on it and be fine.

When I've used Pseudoephedrine I use it to relieve allergies and not to get high.

Last edited:
Pseudoephedrine and ephedrine are both garbage for recreational use, makes your heart beat like crazy but apparently a lot of body builders use it as a part of a "stack". I find just coffee alone is better.