• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Why does Kratom effect my son the way it does?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betts1969

Greenlighter
My oldest son at 32 is a Kratom user. When he is on it, he seems like a Jekyll and Hyde personification. He becomes aggressive, self centered, irrational, and unaware that he is having an horrific effect on all loved ones around him. He says that he takes it for anxiety, but it would seem that his behavior while on it would induce anxiety. Does anyone know any more about this type of behavior? Please

Over time I feel like opiates really impact your attitude, he probably used pills or boi before the kratom and using it to ween off, he might be slightly withdrawaling. IMO opiates wear and tear on your soul and turn you into a completely different person if you let them

I use to be a mad addict and treated everyone who loved me like shit because you feel depressed and feel like your quality of life is shit unless your high. I was mad inside and always kept it to myself and thats usually why I was mad or treated people badly for no reason. I feel so bad about it now even tho I still use occaisnally, nothing like my past self. But I can almost guarantee he DOESNT want to treat anybody this way, he just cant express his true feelings. Idk you have to be an addict or former addict to understand completely

huh. sounds to me like he's just an asshole who likes kratom. I mean I was a junkie for a while (and I guess I still am a sub junkie) and while I definitely did horrible things to my family in the form of lying, stealing and manipulating, being withdrawn, etc I was never actually MEAN or blatantly rude in any way that I'm aware of while using. JME though.

huh. sounds to me like he's just an asshole who likes kratom. I mean I was a junkie for a while (and I guess I still am a sub junkie) and while I definitely did horrible things to my family in the form of lying, stealing and manipulating, being withdrawn, etc I was never actually MEAN or blatantly rude in any way that I'm aware of while using. JME though.

Me too. I've done some fucked up shit in my life but I've never been mean or rude to anyone.

It would be a dead giveaway that there is something wrong because I am such a passive pushover.

Maybe he's trying to nod and enjoy the opiate-like high from the kratom; but is annoyed when family members and other people bother him?

Drugs effect everyone differently. I know people who have taken MDMA/MDA, and they said it made them feel extremely sad while they were on it, or even angry and self destructive.

Sounds like typical addict behavior. Kratom isn't an opiate, but it effects the brain in a similar way. When I was on opiates, I would be really lively and fun, but could also be somewhat rude and jerk like. Which is not typical of my sober behavior. The Jeckel and Hyde thing is something that is talked about at AA or NA rather frequently.

Well unlike regular Opiates Kratom also has an adrenergic effect and is partially a stimulant and stimulants can make people aggressive at times.

Even though I don't USUALLY get irritable on Kratom, it can happen at times and did for a minute or two tonight because I mixed it with more coffee than I usually do.

Does he drink coffee also or take other stimulants with it??

If so, that can potentiate it in an aggressive way.

Then there's also the fact that you may not always be aware of exactly when he's on it or coming down off of it and the come down can be harsh at times, or he may not be on the proper dose to get himself feeling the way he wants and be aggressive for that reason.

Kratom usually only lasts 4 hours or so so depending on how often he takes it he may be coming down when you don't realize it and getting aggressive because he needs his next dose or maybe he tried to take a dose that would sedate him or make him feel just right but took too much or too little.

Sometimes when I tried to take the right dose I don't take enough and need more and if I don't take more I might be a bit irritable, or at times I might take too much and feel kind of weird.

All of these could be factors.

One thing I know is that I can't usually fall asleep for hours after my dose wears off but will be wide awake and kind of amped up.

And of course, when in withdrawal one can be very irritable and many people think that Kratom might effect your testosterone like a lot of other opiates (there's no solid evidence it's true yet though) and make him irritable for that reason.

While I HOPE it's not true it might be, and it can sometimes make me irritable, though USUALLY not while on it, but while coming down or a day or two afterwards if I don't take more.

All of these are factors.

I think Kratom is by and large a relatively "good" drug in that I find it pleasurable and AT TIMES helpful with my anxiety and depression but it DEFINITELY has a dark side some people don't recognize which is why I am trying to take a break right now.

Some users try to pretend it's god's gift to the earth in a similar way to how many weed users say the same about marijuanna, but it can effect people badly at times and the greater dependence he forms the more likely he is to have negative side effects.

And being "self centered" is only natural for most drug users, ESPECIALLY an opioid user.

It's a purely self gratifying drug.

I still think it should stay legal and don't want to speak ill of it, but when taking a drug which has both stimulant and depressant qualities and is addictive and in the end doesn't solve anyone's problems (cause no drugs really DO) leads to some irritable and aggressive behavior, well...it's just par for the course and taking too much can sometimes lead to anxiety from the adrenergic effects.

You know you are taking something that feels good without actually helping and that underlying realization can lead to anger at oneself.

I just tossed some of mine in the garbage cause I felt I was overdoing it and whenever I start using too much I do things like that and usually it helps me regulate my use and eventually I can bring it back to a baseline of more "centered" use with less negative effects.

But yeah...he sounds like he could use a break from it if it's even right for him AT ALL...and keeping all these things in mind with it's opiate mixed with adrenalin fueling properties and short life in the system before it needs to be taken again.......I think you have your answers right there.

I'm not saying you should come down on him or tell him to stop because it probably won't work anyways.....but with effects like those, if I were in his position I'd say I need a break....just like I am telling myself right now for not entirely different reasons.

Drugs produce ups and downs and make you feel great while you realize at the same time they aren't solving the problems you really wish they would = Is there ANY reason NOT to understand his reactions??

It's pretty simple really.

Last edited:
Alright, this is not really suited for OD, but I don't know where to move it, so I'll let it stay open for a while.

Last edited:
May be good to use the search engine and read the kratom megathread. It is a pantheon of excellent info OP.

I think pretty much any drug can affect certain people adversely. Think of alcohol; for a lot of people, they become quiet and withdrawn while drinking and others become more sociable, but at the same time it can reveal the aggressive and angry nature of others.
Opiates/opioids also tend to make people more irritable, though not usually anything as major as what you're describing.

Cause Kratom is the plantified evil. It turns litte 32 years old bunnies into Freddy Krugers in no time. I feel sorry for his mother.

i wouldnt say its a normal response to kratom. strong opiates can make me a irritable but kratom, no. i dont get mean or rude or kratom so it must have to do with your son and his personality.

Maybe he is taking something else but saying it's kratom because it's legal.I found kratom to be a waste of time but I guess some people get off from it.

Cause Kratom is the plantified evil. It turns litte 32 years old bunnies into Freddy Krugers in no time. I feel sorry for his mother.

Enough trolling for today..

Anyway, OP didn't report back and his question has been answered, so I'm closing the thread.
Op, if you want me to re-open the thread or have a question PM me

Status
Not open for further replies.