• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Why does alcohol temporarily take Opiate WD's away?

Ozekat

Bluelighter
Question in title, I have found this to be true through and through every time, but it doesn't make much sense to me, maybe this thread is better suited to ADD or something.

I don't know what size habit your are withdrawing from but unless I am drinking to blackout levels its not providing much relief from opiate w/d. And then I am pretty sure you'd be waking up to top yourself because that'd have to be about the worst a human being could feel.

If for any reason its an NMDA antagonist. So same reason why some people say DXM or ketamine do the same thing.

I also found alcohol to be of some help with withdrawals. I have a couple theories about why it does this. My first theory is the fact that it dehydrates your body, thus decreasing the sweating, and can also lower your blood pressure, which could help with hot flashes/chills. My second theory is becuase alcohol also affects the mu-opioid receptor. That is were the warm, fuzzy feeling comes from aclohol, and it can be quite similar to an opiate.

I found alcohol to be one of the worst drugs to take during withdrawal. I already am nauseous enough without adding alcohol to the mix not to mention it makes diarrhea worse as well. It also makes the crippling and near psychotic depression i get during withdrawal much worse as well. Also a hangover when in opiate withdrawal is a fucking nightmare to say the least as the raw anxiety of the hangover is coupled with the anxiety of opiate withdrawal. Nothing short of a massive amount of benzos helps me when i am stupid enough to drink while in withdrawal.

I avoid it like the plague when i am going through opiate withdrawal thought i do know some people who try and drink their withdrawals away. Usually it just makes them much sicker as well as malnourished and dehydration but the drinking numbs their brains out so they don't care much. I have actually known more then a few people who quit opiates and then become full blown alcoholics. They delude themselves into thinking they are clean even though alcohol is a much worse drug to become addicted to and is overall far worse on your health then any opiate is.

If you need something to calm you down during opiate withdrawals a benzo is the way to go and the more sedating the better. They are still physically addictive for sure (though in my experience not as addictive physically or psychologically and besides temazepam they never gave me any euphoria)but they don't cause any organ damage unlike alcohol which fucks up just about any organ in your body. This is not even mentioning what alcohol does to your brain. Certain benzos such as chlordiazepoxide can very occasionally cause liver damage but nowhere near what alcohol does.

I will say after about 2 or 3 nights of no sleep I will resort to eating benzos, smoking weed and drinking like 3 or 4 beers to knock me out. But that is the limit on alcohol consumption during w/d. Thats about right where you can get a bit tired from the booze but not have any hangover effects. Also combing with benzos is dangerous, so no more than a few beers. But alcohol alone isn't really good mainly cause of the short duration of it. Might help for a few hours, but I think the hangover would make the situation so much worse that it wouldn't be worth those few hours of slight relief.

This thread in ADD? Lets be serious here

It doesn't take the withdrawals away, i still feel them quite strongly, it's just a distraction that can very temporarily calm your body and mind down due to its depressant qualities.

I tried drinking through a heroin detox, and it was not a nice time. In theory, booze should be great for withdrawals; there are few drugs that give such a complete sense of oblivion: I was caning a litre of vodka a day, and when I was 100% pissed, I had relief. The sick just didn't matter 'cause I was so drunk. But you have to keep drinking heavily, because you know when you're not drunk any more, you'd wish you were dead. Having the hangover from hell combined with peak heroin WD is fucking evil. Trust me, it's not good idea, especially considering there are plenty of other drugs that can relieve a fair amount of the pain.

Last edited:
I dont think I have ever felt worse than when I woke up with a hang over and was in real withdrawal.. wow just thinking about it made me shiver.

I'm with those who say bad idea..I could not imagine taking a sip even of anything with alcohol in it while in withdrawals. I have a hard time even drinking water and keeping it down! Between the nausea and vomiting and absolutely horrible diarrhea (and stomach pain to go with it) to add alcohol on top of that...eww makes me hurt just thinking about it.

I guess some people can drink through anything but opiate WDs is the one thing where I could not even imagine tolerating alcohol. It definitely would not be good for you physically..just that much more abuse to your already ravished body.....yuck

Yeah, not really sure what you're talking about. All alcohol does is make you drunk and in withdrawal instead of in just plain withdrawal... like others have said, it provides a distraction sometimes and the mild euphoria from the alcohol can help mellow you out for a bit but that has nothing to do with it actually curing any withdrawal symptoms. It works on totally different receptors in the brain.. nothing to do with opiates.

Alcohol has always helped me from different WDs but it really sucks when it goes from whatever your WDing to alcohol WD.

It works a lot like a benzo. It doesn't make the withdrawal go away it just lessens the effects/makes it more tolerable.

Wow, thanks for the numerous responses. I am experiencing heroin WD's.

Yeah, I agree with mostly everything stated here.....thats why I specified "temporarily" in the title. Because all booze is good for when going through opiate withdrawals is a very fleeting moment of reprise and relief. I definitely wasn't talking about substituting one for the other, as I abhor alcohol after getting accustomed to much better hard drugs. (not proud of that, heh).

Still, its odd that it provides even those fleetings moments of relief because it definitely does......I haven't drank enough to experience a hangover since July, btw, which I still partially credit to a very intense mushroom trip. I downed pretty much an entire fifth of ancient age whiskey (Ugh!) and of course got sick as fuck and then decided after I had slept my hangover off to eat some potent-ass mushrooms.....lol!!! It was a mistake, I should have waited a bit and ate more nourishing food but alas I am derailing this thread now, lol.

Thanks again everyone for some very on point responses.

Yeah when I'm in wd I always pick up a bottle...

The worst part is I can hardly drink any without piling or getting a headache.

So I drink as much as I can and smoke a lot of weed.

A very little bit of alcohol here and there helps put me at ease slightly... but I can't have much because my appetite is totally shot during WD, so my stomach is totally empty for days.. because of that, the booze burns so bad and just rips my stomach apart, making me feel even worse.

I like to drink just enough to get to that warm and fuzzy stage, which makes the sweats aills that comes with opiate withdrawal for me much more bearable. As others have said I can't imagine a hangover while in wd, I really think I'd go psychotic. I do know some people who like to blackout through their withdrawals, whether it be with booze, benzos, or both (not recommended). I don't know how much that would actually help in the moment but I guess not remembering have its benefits.

Just a heads up to people with restless leg syndrome: it's worse and happens more often during opiate withdrawal, and I have personally found that alcohol makes it a sure bet (that it occurs, and it is even more awful).

I dont think I have ever felt worse than when I woke up with a hang over and was in real withdrawal.. wow just thinking about it made me shiver.

Agree.

The one and only time I got drunk on Vodka during WDs... let's say that the next day was unforgettable. I had to use all the willpower and focus I could muster up just to remind myself that every passing minute I was getting further away from hell. I also tried to induce a state of dissociation (without any drugs) where I separated my mind and body and attempted not to think at all. It was all I could do to not go insane.

Just as Neversickanymore said: Makes me feel ill just remembering it....