• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Why do you think so many people are depressed today?

Smartphones/Social Media?
Not against these things per se, (but to the extent these two concepts are being pushed on everybody).
Yes, I think one of the many side-effects might be depression!

Nice, that's exactly what I did. :) Completed college with no debt due to parents paying in-state tuition. Which was totally worth it, without a doubt.
Yeah it was a no brainer. It’s one of the large Midwestern research universities so the reputation is more than fine, especially for STEM fields

I’ve been pretty much exclusively eyeing up PhD programs that are located in some sort of mountains or forested areas. Whether that’s a good idea or not, I guess depends on your values.

I currently live in an endless strip mall city, surrounded by corn fields for hours on pretty much all sides. It’s depressing, it really is. I can’t see myself living another 5-10 years in a city like this. I’m happiest when I’m running through the wilderness, alone with my thoughts. I don’t have that here. Any hiking trails are crowded or really small and surrounded by highway noises. You feel trapped. Once I can, I plan to escape
This sounds like where I am at, though there aren't even any trails. I miss the mountains :(

I think one of the major contributing factors that's affected our youth has to do with parental alienation. Most parents end up separating. That leaves two separate families battling to protect their rights in that child's life. People can get crazy really quick when it comes to this. Usually there's one parent that's more accountable while the other often always plays the victim. But what all this creates for the child to endure is so much more traumatic than I've yet seen acknowledged completely.

Also all this technology has created the need for constant gratification and it's hindering the development of patience and tolerance. An idle mind truly is a playhouse for the devil. There's a special power thats within each of us that can only be found when we are alone. People are no longer capable of dealing with enough solitude long enough to find themselves. A child needs a stable structured environment in order to be able to get to find out who they really are and what they are really capable of. Parents... for different reasons...aren't as able to maintain this like they use to.

We all took a big hit when derived power took priority over the individuals perspective. The upper half of how any area becomes socially stratified gets to dictate the potential of the lower half. Most people become appeasers. No one listens to understand. They only listen in order to respond. People just blow smoke up each other's ass and no one keeps it real anymore. No one cares enough to call anyone else out on their crap. So all of the liars think they've been believed and everyone's full of shit

Over diagnosis.
Even if the diagnoses are accurate, its actually crazy how much being diagnosed with something can change the way you think. I was diagnosed with depression, and while I do believe it was clinically accurate, it took all my motivation to fight it away. Instead of looking at thought patterns and thinking "this definitely isn't how I should be thinking, how can I change this?" I immediately started to think "well im depressed, this makes sense". It definitely helps reinforce it, at least for me. Maybe the way I dealt with it wasn't the healthiest.

Studies have shown that more people, in particular teens/young adults are reporting higher rates of depression

Social media, compare and despair it's called, they see all the celebrities and other people who use filters, loads of make up, good lighting, photoshop, and fake everything llije hair extensions, nails, eyelashes, tit job ass implants, lip fillers and think they are pretty and so think they themselves are ugly, not realising that in real life those celebrities don't even look like how they do on social media, social media especially insta-slag makes teens feel inferior and worthless, not just teens, but adults too, "why she's so pretty and I'm just old, it's because they remove all their flaws and wrinkles and son on, fakes the lot of them I've never used a filter it's lies and giving people self confidence issues, leading to depression and anxiety