• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Why do you believe in Karma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't. In my opinion Karma is unadulterated pure bullshit. Have you ever noticed that people who have whats conventionally considered very prosperous happy lives are often ignorant discriminating shits? If the supposed law of karma were true wouldn't they be more honorable, and compassionate human beings? Usually people who have a background of monetary privilege, and limitles opportunities are sniveling arrogant self important assholes. Because there parents spolied them constantly, and complimented them too often. They never get any constructive criticism because usually their parents buy them everything, and they in turn buy their "friends" off. Probably their circle of alleged friends may not even like them. But are instead involved with them socially for whatever financial freebies they can get in return for associating with them.
Alot of affluently rich people for example can purchase art supplies, they can buy a MIDI controller, mixing, and sequencing devices, and they can buy a laptop computer with MS Wordprocessing software.
But do they posess genuine artistic talent?
Do they have an ear for constructing complicated multilayered overlapping ambient sound effects, and melodies? Do they have technical writing capability, or a sensitive profoundly insightful prose style?
Look at OZZy's son they discovered he's a pothead right, not that I have anything against pot but listen to the kid talk he's half inarticulate, and sounds like an burned out half incoherent mindless idiot. If his fathers money runs out hes gonna be fucked.
Sadly most don't. They are just an overprivileged product of a too comfortable upbringing that always offered them endless chances regardless of how much they bungled things up. They are typically the listless unoriginal final product of their overly accomodating parents doting, and spoiling. They lived a auspicious easygoing life evoid of the ostacles, and impeding obstructions, and treachery that most face at some time in their lives. Living a charmed existence like that certainly didn't challenge them enough to make them develop any special aptitudes, or that challenged them enough to promote psychological growth, or develop the inner strength necessary to circumvent their competitors or overcome opposition. And besides when you can choose to sit down and industriously study or instead effortlessly shirk your academic responsibilities, and go out and go deep sea fishing in your yaght what are you gonna choose right?

I believe in Karma because its easier to swallow than Christianity.
And if you dont believe in anything the world feels very lonely.

It's a FACT that every reaction has a reaction and that's what KARMA is about.. what you put out comes back to you. Now you can see this different ways, but you shouldn't live your life by this rule. "oh sht, I should be nice to this person so I get some goodkarma."

I believe in karma all the way. Why is this? I have no idea. I also have no idea why, although I am not a religious person I have a strong sense of faith. Faith that there is more to life than just living on this planet. This faith comes from within and has not been preached to me through man made religon.
I don't mean to diss any particular religion but I compare religion to cult status where people are brainwashed into believing others peoples perceptions of life after death. That's not entirely a bad thing, religion can bring great comfort to people and give them guidance and strength.
I think karma is a spirtitual energy and if you believe in it then I think your on the right path to understanding and opening up your spiritual side
hearts.gif

If your a positive person and give out good vibes you will not only feel much better and happier but you will also attract people to you as they will sense your positive energy. It's all good
1luvu.gif

Of course you can argue that there are many people that seem to do much wrong and yet escape any form of justice. This happens everyday in the world, the same arguement can apply to 'if there was a god why do we have children dying all over the world and people being killed everyday?'
Its the cycle of life and we do not know the answers. I think people that don't get their comeupance in this lifetime, will do so at another stage in their progression
FIREdevil.gif

There is a friend of a friend who I respect because he's lovable, honest and soul-ish. This guy is always broke, the first time I met him I bought him cigarettes because I knew he was broke and smoked. The last time I saw him he had a girl with him that he liked and was waiting on money that didn't come through. I offered him 10 bucks. He's a good soul
Well well :) I saw him over the weekend and with him a friend who sold hats,pipes and clothing at music festivals. He introduced me to him and asked him to hook me up because I always take care of him. I never get cool free stuff! :) I now have the coolest kangol hat and sweatshirt. I automatically thought of your thread. :) woo hoo
[ 21 January 2003: Message edited by: Sweetpea ]

I am a firm believer in Karma. For me, it is a faith based on my belief that if I bring goodness and happiness into the world, it will be reciprocated in some form or another. I also believe that people can have bad karma and give off a negative vibe by being gossipy, judgemental or just plain cold hearted...I also believe that these people will get what they deserve in the end. So I go about my merry way and try and be positive and know that in the end, good always wins over evil.

I beleive in Karma.
It's the language of life. It's the energy that causes a balance in life.
Everybody beleives in God through Karma.
Karmaic energy is alive in everyone.
We all have good and bad.
We're influenced by good and bad.
Everything in this world is connected.
Just like people are connected.
We are a result of people.
Karma means "action."
It's the sound of reason, absolute truth, and justice.
Ahmad/19

I definitely started believing in karma this past year. I live in New York, and the day after September 11 I got fired from my job because I couldn't come into work. I even got a manager to cover my shift, but that wasn't good enough for the owner and she fired me.
That was one of the worst things that ever happened to me. As if it weren't bad enough to have a couple planes crash into my city, killing a few thousand people, and me actually seeing the buildings collapse (that fucked me up good), then I had to try to look for a job in a city that was in disarray, with a shot economy.
But over a year later I talked to the manager who was nice enough to cover my shift, and he said that the restaurant that fired me was apparently going under. Business was getting worse and worse and everyone expected it to close in a year.
That cinched it for me. What goes around comes around, and when you really screw someone the way they screwed me (and a lot of other people), it will come back to haunt you and you'll pay the price. The thing is that sometimes it takes a long time for payback, even years. So just becasue you know some asshole who treats everyone like shit and seems to not pay the price, that doesn't mean that someday he won't get what's coming to him.
To me it's not being "prodded with a mystic stick." I don't do good things just because I want good things to come to me. Basically I realize that one way or another I'll have to face the consequences of my actions so it's just not worth it to be a dickhead.
But even more than that, it gives me hope. If people cross me I don't have to spend so much time thinking how I'll get them back or mourning at the unfairness of it all. I can take some satisfaction knowing that I will be avenged, and I can go on with my life.
And it isn't like this negative thing, where I'm like "Ha ha! See? You got what's coming to you! Muahaha!" I try not to be happy about other people's problems, even if they've hurt me. In fact, I even thought of going to the restaurant that fired me to give them a little support. But then I found out they have a cockroach problem, so that's out of the question.
--C

Because it's nice to think all the shit I'm going through on Earth will earn me some sort of good something if not late rin this life, then in another one.
But I kind of don't believe in Karma, not everyone gets what they deserve.....That means the good and the bad people.
Good people get shitty lives, bad people get away with it, not all the time, but alot of the time thats how it goes down, you know.

I believe in karma for a couple of reasons. The primary one being I can't abide the thought of injustice going unpunished. The thought alone is great for self-help or coping with a bad situation; either way, true or not, it works for me.
As for the type of people who appear to 'get away with it', I believe are still on the receiving end. Perhaps we don't see Karma as blatently obvious as we'd sometimes like it to be. I mean, karma originally deals in matters affecting the soul, being entirely personal and separate to all others.
I met a guy some 4 days ago, telling me how many people he's beaten and robbed. A very young, and ignorant hoon who thought what he was telling me was really cool. The look of his buddies however, was enough to know that one day in future, he'd have more on his mind than evading arrest. Likewise, those rich and insulated from the real world. Buying friends means coping with a more-than-likely betrayel or abandonment in future. These 'friends' aren't even friends to begin with. Though this isn't anything physical, it's not an alternative I'd want to explore for money.
Basically, I wouldn't want to trade places with these types of people, and the reasons why I wouldn't is personally a good enough reason in believing karma exists. Yes, like does attract like, and actions have a reaction. Whether you call it karma or not doesn't make much difference.
Peace.

I don't believe in karma, because I haven't seen any scientific proof... yet. However, I HAVE witnessed the whole "what comes around goes around", and have seen people reap rewards and punnishments from actions in the past.
I like to think that there is a balance in life... these things happen in the order of things.
Also the law of averages could lead some credence to karma... eventually something good (or bad) is going to happen to you. A person can relate to a past action to either make themselves feel better or to have something to blame for the "karmic reaction". Actually the more I explain it to myself the more it sounds like a load of shit. ;)

I believe in kharma because every time I tell a white lie I then forget where I put my car keys.

I believe in very little. But I believe in karma. I do not support any major religions nor do I buy into many other 'theories' per se. Karma, however, has recently begun to be a major influence on the way I treat others and other aspects of my personality. Do I know if the whole 'what goes around comes around' theory is real? Nope, but to me theres no better philosophy than that to lead a happy, filling, and loving life. I believe that my positive energies will reflect back to me through other people and my relationships with others will be better. My two cents. :)

I belive in krama cause I dont belive in religion. Kind of hard to explain.
headscratch.gif

I believe that it is hard-wired in creatures to behave socially to other members of their species, more so in humans.
the idea of social behaviour and co-operation would improve the species chances of survival as a whole. hunting in a pack vs. individually. keeping the communal fire burning. gathering in groups so as to give protection against predators.
therefore, any creature behaving anti-socially would be going against its programming. this will cause the creature to feel innately that it is behaving incorrectly, thus leading to 'guilt'. this guilt will prey on the creature until it has resolved the anto-social behaviour itself or had it resolved by external forces.
creatures that can form concepts will develop a concept and associated word to describe this.
this is karma.

Used to believe in karma. Dunno if i do anymore. Im a nice guy, always happy to help out other, hard working etc and it just keeps getting me shafted. Im very far from being a rich guy. I have a couple of hundred (Australian) dollars in the bank and maybe earn 300 a week. I'd estimate helping people in trouble has cost me close to $3000 in the past year.
I own a flat on which i have to pay a hefty mortgage. Let a female friend who got raped and thens stalked by her rapist stay there at seriously cheap prices because he didnt know where it was. She paid rent maybe 40% of the time she was there before splitting owing me serious money
Next tenant (this one through an agent) got sick. I cut him some slack and now he's split, again owing me serious money.
For three months of this time i was paying rent for my place and a mortgage out of the fucking dole with the result that all of my savings are gone and I am now having to borrow from my parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.