• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Why do Xanax and Valium effect me so differently?

Alexander16

Bluelighter
So I've been on either xanax or valium for the last for years (and only xanax for the last year). My dosage is 4mg/day... Basically I'm fucking fed up of Xanax, I mean i have a love/hate relationship with the drug.

The pros being that it completely eliminates panic attacks within 10 minutes and the cons being that the interdose withdrawals i feel are responsible for the panic attacks at this stage...Don't get me wrong, its an amazing aniolytic but i hate the fact that i literally cannot leave my room in the morning until its kicked it, it causes a lot of worries for me:what if i lose my meds, what if i have to have an operation etc

On the otherhand Valium also has its pros and cons, It literally never wears off, while i was on it last time, for about 3 months or so at 30mg/day, i could go an entire day without it and usually remain anxiety free, i also didn't have 1 panic attack while i was on it whereas xanax i have at least a mini anxiety-attack when it wears off...some times full on Panic attacks.... Basically I'd much rather be on valium than xanax for the stated reasons, but while on valium i cant get an erection most of the time, while xanax doesnt mess with my libido as much....i also get extremely depressed on valium, where i cannot even cry on xanax... I'm basically looking for advice as I've been having panic attacks pretty much daily and have became very agoraphobic. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

By the way before klonopin is suggested it has no effect on me, also, I would be crossing over to a 40mg dose of valium instead of 4mg xanax and despite the ashton manual 10mg valium seems exactly the same as 1mg xanax to me, 80mg valium/day would leave me brain dead.

Anyone got any insight? Been in similar situation?

Diazepam and alprazolam effect you differently, because they have different affinities for the receptor subtypes of GABAA.
Have you tried Cognitive behavioral therapy? Benzos usually don't help you long term, but CBT will.

Diazepam and alprazolam effect you differently, because they have different affinities for the receptor subtypes of GABAA.
Have you tried Cognitive behavioral therapy? Benzos usually don't help you long term, but CBT will.

Yes, I have and various other forms of therapy prior to me taking benzos. Any idea why Valium causes depression while Xanax doesn't, citing the subtypes?

Sorry to hear that :/
I don't know. All benzos seem to have the potential to cause/worsen depression, but diazepam in particular seems to worsen depression in a lot of people.

Just do yourself the favor and be done with the xanax, that drug is a fucking nightmare man. An equipotent dose of Diazepam is way better in my opinion, it has all the pros and almost no cons that alprazolam.

Alprazolam-fast onset, short duration of action, short half life

Diazepam-fast onset, long duration of action, long half life, easier to taper with.

And kleinerkiffer is right, if anyone CAN get off benzodiazepines, they should stay off them. Benzo and meth use did a number on my mental health issues, or I should say my abuse of those drugs did a number on my mental health.

I have been on valium, Xanax, and klonopin at different points in my life because of changing docs and their opinions on what benzos I should take. I personally love valium more than any other benzo I have been scripted because its so long lasting and i just feel relaxed all over, both mentally and physically, since it has muscle relaxant effects. I took 30 mgs a day for like 2 years and then i wanted to try something else so i asked to be put on klonopin. I liked the kpins almost just as much at 3 mgs a day vs 30mgs of valium. I love kpins but i became tolerant to them within a few months and they weren't working, also if i had a panic attack they took to long to kick so i would have to either chew or parachute them a lot. they taste like candy tho so that's pretty cool. Xanax was my least favorite, it only lasted like 3-4 hours max and i would start getting very irritable when they wore off. They feel awesome at first but wear off way to quick for the amount of general anxiety i have. Now i am on klonopin because the sub doc i currently see, wont prescribe any other benzos, for whatever reason. I asked to be switched back to valium because i like it better but she said no. Valium FTW.