• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids why do opiates make you crave sugar?

Haha, glad I aint the only one. Sometimes, my boy who I pick up with will bring me somethin to eat when I pick him up. Somethin chocolate, cuz he knows I always crave chocolate when I get high lol. He's always got some kinda sweets too, sour patch kid or somethin. I go through phases, there was a while where everytime I'd pick up I'd grab a big bottle of chocolate milk, then it was a bag of skittles and so on haha.

Im on methadone, i was a heavy heroin user for 4 years, plus im on methadone for pain management because i shattered my pelvis in a car accident 4 years ago, well for the past 4 years i eat ALOT of candy bars, everytime i shot heroin i would light up a cigg and eat candy, even on the methadone now, i find myself eating alot of white chocolate or ice cream is what i crave

Once opiates wear off i notice i am repulsed by 2 things.
1.Loud noises, opiates make my ears sensitive.
2. Anything sweet, it just tastes godawful for some reason.
Maybe im different?
I totally feel ya on the ears thing. It's so hard to explain but every time I use my hearing is always super extremely sensitive.

Strangely enough though I've never had any issues with sweets, whether it be before, after, or during, I neither crave then nor am I repulsed by them. Pretty much no change.

I think being an ex opiate addict, is the reason why I'm repulsed by sweets.

I pissed off, repulsed and pissed off so many gf's when I was an addict that they're comments and my old childish behavior are constantly in my head, so that I really can't enjoy sweets while sober.

Still find it amazing I've only had one cavity while I've had my adult teeth and I'm an adult alright, I had a year where I was more than satisfied by 2 candy bars for dinner for over a year, and all the neglect that goes with that logic.

I should breed on my dental strengths alone, as my dental history has a blackout between 14 and my 30's....

Damn, I suppose I never put one and one together. Shit, I do this all the time. Hell, if I'm driving around I'll go out of my way to find a store I know has the sweets I love to eat. I even go to Arby's or Wendy's and get a huge shake, Yum Yum!

The thing is that when I take my night dose of meds, I want a beer and a snack, more in-line with a salty edge. I don't know if that's weird or not.

I was a sperm-cell when this thread was made... nah, I'm not that young.

Opiates definitely make me crave sugar and some ass, as well.

I noticed the correlation immediately when I first used Vicodin recreationally. The cravings for food in general started as soon as I could feel the warm high start to come on and increased dramatically as the high increased. The craving for sugary foods was off the charts though. If I started getting the Vic munchies and smashed down a whole pizza to the point I thought I was going to burst, I could still stuff 4 candy bars in my face. The first time I tried Reese's peanut butter cups while high, I almost climaxed. For whatever reason, the sugary saltiness together was heavenly!

Sadly, these many years later, I have actually developed a few conditions that inflict chronic pain so opiates are a must. Recently, my script was taken away and I reluctantly turned to black tar heroin to manage my pain. The food cravings are very similar and perhaps even more pronounced. I smoke the BT as I refuse to start banging after seeing a coworker and his little circle of "friends'" behavior after shooting up. The cravings for food start immediately after my first rip and increase until I'm on the nod. During that time, every time I come to, 4 peanut butter cups disappear. I guess I don't mind the cravings since I've always had a sweet tooth. Now I just make time to go to the store and stay stocked.

I crave cigarettes on opiates. If I'm not using I am a non smoker.....yet another good reason to not be a junkie. I eat and cook marvelously when on opiates. Mostly high end and healthy food. Everyone is different.

I don't know why opiates make us (well, some of us) crave sugar, but my cravings are HUGE! Ice cream is my fav, and I like to add doughnuts or cupcakes to the ice cream as well. However, I will crave gummy bears, chocolate, etc. often as well. I like to take my morning dosage of oxymorphone, and then make 1/2 pot of strong coffee. I have the coffee with the ice cream. I don't know if it is b/c my stomach is empty from not eating all night, but the sugar and the caffeine enhance the effects of my oxymorph very noticeably, and give me a charge of energy so that I can get out of bed. Once the meds are decreasing my pain, I am able to complete some of my morning chores while the energy lasts.

I am currently craving, after doing about a gram of prope, IV. Shot up, and as soon as the prope kicked in, I first flicked the TV on to the horror channel, then immediately dived in to my carrier bag full of assorted different types of candies.

First on the menu-a roll of de-licious lovehearts. After that is, satisfying my other craving, namely for tobacco. Made myself a liquorice rollup (I love those liquorice flavour papers, and now, can't stand to smoke anything else. The only other papers I can bear are silvers, and those too, still ruin the taste of the tobacco. Alright for skinning a joint but thats it. Not for regular cigarettes.,

Poured myself a coke and britvic lime cordial, which I'm rather partial to, makes it taste so much better although I like coke anyway.

Got lovehearts, candy lollies, refreshers chew bars, little rolls of fizzy flat disks of candy, forget the name, chewy lollies, and my FAVOURITE, parma violets. I LOVE parma violets. Plus a bunch more random stuff in that bag of tricks, Lots of sweet, sweeeeeeettttttt sugary goodies:D

This is very true for me, with the sweet tooth thing!
When I wake up, in withdrawals, I have absolutely no desire to eat... In fact this is a big issue when I'm in withdrawal longer than a day or so. I feel weak and cranky anyway, so not eating makes me that much weaker and crankier. But it's incredibly hard to force anything down.

After I dose, though, in 30 min or so I feel an urge to eat something tasty. And a balanced meal is def not what I'm craving... Although any food sounds like a great idea. I love love love to drink chocolate milk, yum. Fountain sodas are another staple. Gotta have a sugary drink above all, kills sugar cravings & dry mouth. Another thing is cereal, something super sweet like cocoa puffs, waffle crisp, fruity peoples, rice krispies treats, frosted flakes... I'll eat cereal any time of day on opiates.

Also, a few people on this thread mention sour candy - I love it. Sour mike & ike, called zours, kinda hard to find but my favorite candy of all time! Also love giant chewy sweet tarts. Used to love me some shockers, too, if you remember those delicious things <3

I also get a big craving for something greasy like pizza or cheese fries, anyone else get this as well?

I carve sugar when ever Im too relaxed, I guess that's the case with opiates.When I use heroin I sastify my carving for sugar with orangeade, cause it's perfect for covering the taste of H. I admit, though, that the carving ain't that strong, I could do with out sugar when on dope.

I agree...alcohol is for homeless people..
No, it's for people who like alcohol. It's ok if you don't like it but you shouldn't insult those who like it. And after all, snobbing any drug while you are a heroin user is just stupid.

And....here is 2017! Have always had a sweet tooth..lost 80lbs..got hooked back on opiates..moved to h..and was astonished at the strength of cravings for Sweets! Had bags of candy..mostly chocolate and sour candies hidden in every drawer..would wander thru house high..grabbing handfuls of candy! Recently tried to limit the sugar as I don't want to gain the weight back and have again been astonished..cannot seem to stop! I did ok for a few days.. but today..in the candy aisle at the grocery..overcame me! Bought 2 sharing size Mm's..put them in a drawer..and been munching all day..sigh..also bought some sour chewies lol..wtf..

I have noticed since i started doing boy that i have had a huge craving for candy and lollipops and chocolate bars after the comedown..

I am a new user and recently was noticing my increased sugar and searched. Didnt check the date lol..