• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Why do I not enjoy other drugs anymore after using heroin?

cabbagepatch31

Bluelighter
I’ve been using heroin for four years now. I have noticed, when I use other drugs now, drugs that I used to enjoy before I started using heroin, I don’t enjoy them anymore? I can’t even smoke pot anymore...I don’t like the way it makes me feel. This is the case for pretty much everything besides heroin for me. I have a friend who uses heroin as well who says the same thing. I’m wondering, have other heroin users noticed this as well? Why is it? My theory is: my brain chemistry has been changed from the prolonged heroin use, and other drugs affect me differently now. Let me know what y’all think!

I lost interest in other drugs when I was doing H also. I think if you’re someone who loves opiates and you try really good H then nothing else can hit the spot like it used to.

Whatever the reason, I don’t think it is specific to heroin or opiates. I used to enjoy alcohol and weed a lot but after I started taking amphetamines I could no longer stand them. They became repulsive to me.

I’ll always prefer a good downer to any other drug, it’s just my personality.
I’ve always thought this fact was related to my brain chemistry too though, I’m a naturally ‘wired’ type and enjoy anything that can slow the old overthinking noggin down a gear or two.

This is heroin. Before heroin, even with Oxycodone I’d still enjoy alcohol, cocaine, mdma, cannabis... Once H was in my life that was all I cared about besides a little weed too cuz I felt it potentiates the dope high.

-GC

I have been using heroin for 22 years. It sucks. I don't really like how opiates make me feel to be honest these days. Like they make me feel dirty.

At 4 years you are just a baby and I still loved it too. I was barely getting started. Just hang tight. Things will happen. You will die a few times. See tons others die. Realized the rest alive are all scumbags. And your clean buddies is where its at. And being clean. It will certainly fade.

And for weed. Its because you aren't happy. So weed won't feel good. How weed works as it intensifies everything. If you feel like shit, just gonna feel even shittier. If you are happy, you will feel happier.

Last edited:
I stopped caring about any non-dopamine/endorphin drug (besides coke for speedballs) the first time I tried coke (then went straight into oxy that week), and it hasn't returned in 18 years (8 on oxy, 10 on h). It was just fuck pot, fuck alcohol, fuck benzos, this is *it*.

Alcohol permanently stopped having a buzz since touching percocet. Even now, it's totally lost. Well I guess I shouldn't complain about never becoming an alcoholic. I did notice that adderall/weed/nicotine felt much better after no longer being opiate-dependent. I think that opiates burn out some of the brains dopamine, so that other drugs would in turn release less than they normally would. And with opiates you know what drug you're going to do as soon as you wake up. It's always the first drug of the day, lol. Your daily dopamine/endorphin release primarily goes to the morning dose in my opinion.

Plus, heroin is just heroin. It might feel like a nice day at the beach but you can't miss a day or else--you know. Your brain is literally hard - wired to only feel good when opiates are provided. That's why your brain resists responding to other drugs. It also happens with sex or sports though. The brain no longer feels the need to depend on things like sex or sports as long as oxy/heroin is around. I don't mean to invade other people's lives and I have my own problems no doubt.. but after 4 years of heroin I can not see any good coming from this. The best of opiates are probably behind you :/ Soon, you won't even be able to enjoy the heroin.

Last edited:
A true opi addict has this, I think.

I managed to quit drinking alcohol after getting and staying on buprenorphine.
I only ever seemed to really use other drugs when I couldn't get opioids.
Once I found or got some heroin or a strong opiate, I stopped everything else and would be happy for the time being.

I'm being perfectly serious when I say this, but I truly think heroin/opioids can be used as addiction medicine, sort of to how bupe & methadone are.
Bupe doesn't stop my cravings for heroin or full agonists though, so I wish we had more options. I could live happily ever after with JUST heroin (and maybe cannabis) and never need any other drugs.

I think heroin, maybe methamphetamine too, are the 2 drugs that once you try them.. nothing can ever compare to them anymore because they're the best. lol

I've never seen addicts struggle so much with anything as with heroin addiction. Even after it starts to feel boring and too noddy with prolonged use (because euphoria tolerance) the brain is so dependent on such powerful endorphin releasing powder.

This is why very few can manage heroin addiction in the long run. Even if you have a steady supply, I haven't met many heroin users that don't nod out when high. At least on oxy I am energized. It's going to take some time but you can definitely do it. If my dreadful ex junkie mother did it than anyone can lol... she was wild before she had me. Fully off it for decades now minus one relapse a while ago. Heroin feels incredible but to be honest even heaven would become dreadful. A 10/10 feeling will become baseline once one is high perpetually. Still fun but also strangely miserable. Heroin is a douche :cry: You will definitely need time to at least rewire your life to be about not only heroin but other activities. It's very important that you do not overdose because many heroin addicts who attempt sobriety relapse (and forget tolerance lowering).

I just heavily dislike how heroin forces people into the addiction. It doesn't allow one much choice and of course a high more corrupt than money will be difficult for one to avoid withdrawals and seldom use lol.

Believe me when I say this. I have seen two people knee deep in heroin addiction and they looked like they were about to OD or just lose themselves entirely at every moment. Now, they're very successful and content. Have faith in yourself.. you will find that life has a lot more to it than drugs. Drugs are good though just not 24/7 lol. We need friends as well. And life is long enough to be a dope monster that terrifies people and somehow become the polar opposite. It really is remarkable lol. I swore my roommate was dead that year he was literally intelligent and highly functional to nodding out constantly and zombied. I don't know how he survived his heroin honey moon year. His doses were insane...

Last edited:
never did heroin but methadone and some other pain pills i guess its just a opiate thing its hard to explain but i only care for other drugs for withdrawal like xanax pot