• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Why do Americans (from the U.S, anyway) always refer to "a" British Accent?

From a historical linguistic viewpoint one might note the non-rhoticity in England. You hear it in New England because those settlers came after the transition, like mid 1700s

I've never found out why there exists assimilation of t in North America, so you get an extreme example like [respitory] for respiratory [re-spy-ratory], or words that are homophones because of it

When I had to graduate Kindergarten, I was sad. My teacher was an English lady and she was easy to understand. After that my life was Hel because everybody else talked too fast

Tell me about it, I used to have to go to the parades when I was very young because my gran lives in a 'protestant' neighbourhood, used to really scare 8 year old me, lots of dangerous drunk people, police in riot gear, that wouldn't be normal to anyone else but to us in northern Ireland that's just a tuesday. People that come here from England are normally a bit worried when the see 3 meat wagons going up the street lol

Much like saying "a southern accent" or "an American accent "There may be a lot of variables but there are also many commonalities that make for easy funny voices/movie characters.

Also a little like saying "south east asian people". I cant tell a Laotion person from a Vietnamese person, but if you're from there, maybe you could. Familiarity sharpens the specifics, ignorance blurs the subtleties and specifics.

I have a scouse accent

There is no such thing as "a British accent". You realise when you say that you are encompassing three separate countries as well as literally hundreds of very different regional dialects, right. VERY different. So different that there are many other places in England alone where I almost cannot understand what people are saying.
It also seems to refer to what we'd call The Queens English accent, which extremely few people actually have. I guess because when Americans on TV play someone from here they always do that accent? Nobody talks like that! Apart from, annoyingly, English people in some movies :/

Not having a go, it just irks me.