• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Why do Americans (from the U.S, anyway) always refer to "a" British Accent?

I don't know what you're talking aboot. Soary.

(my terrible attempt at a Canadian accent).
I went to uni in Canada but it's more like abowt there. Scottish English/Scoats has aboot. I think they even write it like that

I wonder if anyone can tell apart British Northern Ireland from Ireland Irish. I don't think their English would be any different except for a few words related to living in different countries. 'Tis interesting anyway

Cheers

I wonder if anyone can tell apart British Northern Ireland from Ireland Irish.

IME Northern Irish men speahk in a flat intonation til t'end of te sentence? Where they raise te' pitch like eht's a question?

Reactions: CFC
We get very little media from Canada so not heard much of it.

There are plenty of regional accents, some are obviously different, like all the Quebec French, and the Newfies, but some are super sublte. Mostly, we sound like the standard flat "newscaster" non-accent of the western US, with more rounded vowels and a fair bit of English spelling.

There is a midwest-Ontario farmer accent that is disappearing, but is super neat. "-ly" at the end of words becomes "-leh," and there's a bit of the cliche grizzled prospector in there too, b'Gawrd. If anyone has seen the show Letterkenney, the writers are from that region and the "-How'r y'now? - Nah sah bad." exchange is absolutely a real thing.

The "ou" in out, about, house changes depending on where you are. Never heard "aboot" except from people trying to flex on Canada, and I'd like to take a moment to say, we forgive you, eh, but enuff's enuff. Around here it's mostly abow-ut, with an ah-ow dipthong leading into a quick uh before the t. That's the way most of us will say it if we're thinking about it, anyway. Get a ways into the countryside, and Northern Ontario, you'll hear stuff like, "It's aboat time to take that roast oat of the oven, or it'll burn the hoase down." Go ahead, make fun of us, eastern US seaboard, then take one of your "toars" up here and listen to us say too-er. Ya hosers. The ah sound in talking tends to get sharpened to a different ah, like in tax. There are probably dozens more little weirdnesses that I haven't noticed.

Because most Americans are stupid and extremely uncultured (and I'm American... one of the few enlightened ones... most people around me may meet the legal requirements of retardation).

But I would think it's natural for something you've known all your life to seem different if it sounds different, then slap a label on it.

There are plenty of regional accents, some are obviously different, like all the Quebec French, and the Newfies, but some are super sublte. Mostly, we sound like the standard flat "newscaster" non-accent of the western US, with more rounded vowels and a fair bit of English spelling.

There is a midwest-Ontario farmer accent that is disappearing, but is super neat. "-ly" at the end of words becomes "-leh," and there's a bit of the cliche grizzled prospector in there too, b'Gawrd. If anyone has seen the show Letterkenney, the writers are from that region and the "-How'r y'now? - Nah sah bad." exchange is absolutely a real thing.

The "ou" in out, about, house changes depending on where you are. Never heard "aboot" except from people trying to flex on Canada, and I'd like to take a moment to say, we forgive you, eh, but enuff's enuff. Around here it's mostly abow-ut, with an ah-ow dipthong leading into a quick uh before the t. That's the way most of us will say it if we're thinking about it, anyway. Get a ways into the countryside, and Northern Ontario, you'll hear stuff like, "It's aboat time to take that roast oat of the oven, or it'll burn the hoase down." Go ahead, make fun of us, eastern US seaboard, then take one of your "toars" up here and listen to us say too-er. Ya hosers. The ah sound in talking tends to get sharpened to a different ah, like in tax. There are probably dozens more little weirdnesses that I haven't noticed.
I'm not Canadian though some of my cousins are and I notice some

My mom's boss at one time was a Newfie. I could understand her fine but one time her mom paid a visit. We were sitting around, having a chat. Then all the sudden the mother and daughter started on their own conversation and I couldn't understand a damn thing

I usually pride myself on dialects, but I'm not exaggerating. A lot of words I'd never heard before. I guess they were Irish words

I went to uni in Canada but it's more like abowt there. Scottish English/Scoats has aboot. I think they even write it like that

I wonder if anyone can tell apart British Northern Ireland from Ireland Irish. I don't think their English would be any different except for a few words related to living in different countries. 'Tis interesting anyway

Cheers

Norn Irln accents sound quite different to Southern ones to my ear, though tbf I still hear the coarse tubthumping rhetoric of the late Ian Paisley echoing around in my empty head whenever I try thinking of the sound ;)

Because most Americans are stupid and extremely uncultured (and I'm American... one of the few enlightened ones... most people around me may meet the legal requirements of retardation).

But I would think it's natural for something you've known all your life to seem different if it sounds different, then slap a label on it.
so true so many narrow minded ppl I'm american also, i use to have a black roommate and friend at the time, when ppl would come over to party a white person suddenly talking black I mean u know how dumb ppl can be mimicking shit, I felt it made himself look dumb and the N bomb, ppl put up a front b yourself, that's not
really a accent..... I was just referring to some ppl in the Us

I hate to break it to you chaps, but the whole world's awash with uncultured ignoramuses, the US definitely doesn't hold monopoly on them. I would agree the US is pretty insular and inward looking compared to many other countries with similar cultures, but I at least partly put that down to the fact you're like a continent-sized country and pretty isolated from the main population centres of Eurasia.

I hate to break it to you chaps, but the whole world's awash with uncultured ignoramuses, the US definitely doesn't hold monopoly on them. I would agree the US is pretty insular and inward looking compared to many other countries with similar cultures, but I at least partly put that down to the fact you're like a continent-sized country and pretty isolated from the main population centres of Eurasia.

that's true were pretty cut off culture wise I've always wanted to travel I've only been to a few states I've been poor most my life, I always wants to get a van or wenabango and road trip or trip to the UK somewhere

that's true were pretty cut off culture wise I've always wanted to travel I've only been to a few states I've been poor most my life, I always wants to get a van or wenabango and road trip or trip to the UK somewhere

Nice plan, I hope you manage to do it mate <3 Maybe count it as a blessing that you hadn't been able to afford to make any plans this year, as covid-19 would have ruined the whole party.

Nice plan, I hope you manage to do it mate <3 Maybe count it as a blessing that you hadn't been able to afford to make any plans this year, as covid-19 would have ruined the whole party.
defentely, I did just get a new job the old reaustraunt close, couple dudes from my old work got me in there reaustraunt and it's not a corporation i hate corporate , I'm a lil sketched out cuz the virus but if I didn't get it now id be with how ever many million ppl looking for jobs latter

so true so many narrow minded ppl I'm american also, i use to have a black roommate and friend at the time, when ppl would come over to party a white person suddenly talking black I mean u know how dumb ppl can be mimicking shit, I felt it made himself look dumb and the N bomb, ppl put up a front b yourself, that's not
really a accent..... I was just referring to some ppl in the Us

I know exactly what you mean haha. Always the white kids with a hat on tilted to the side who start dropping N bombs in their red honda civic with a cheap body kit... knew so many of them. I grew up in a house with a black step-mother and into a huge hip hop culture and almost exclusively listened to rap for a few years but I definitely wasn't one of those kids.

I think a lot of kids are just insecure and "adapt" to try to be cool in any situation. Douchebag chameleons.

My dad’s from Devon and I actually wonder the same thing that the OP wonders but I think people mean anyone who sounds like the narrator of Winnie the Pooh.
I grew up in California. American mom, British dad. Dad wasn’t around when I was a kid but thanks to the Internet we have reconnected. I’m starting to learn some of the accents I can usually tell Birmingham, Liverpool and Devon.
Although there’s a lady in a dormitory a few doors down the hall from mine who is from South Africa and to my ears she sounds a lot like my dad. So, yeah I’m still learning but compared to most Americans I think I am pretty far along in my understanding.

Last edited:
At least most Americans think the "British accent" in films sounds smart. When my accent is used in a film it's always a dumb ass character that's supposed to be the village idiot. It's so bad that they actually sent people to train us not to speak with our native accent when I was going through early grade school. They've done such a good job the young adults in the area don't sound anything like the people did when I was growing up. I've even been asked by younger people that grew up in the same town as me where I was from because they can't place my accent.

Where abouts are you from in England? @HeadphonesandLSD

I started watching videos on Westcountry accents the other day after reading this thread it was quite funny hearing people talk similar to me