• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Why Christianity is a false religion

@Atelier3 Banal indeed. That is how Christianity glosses over real Jewish history in favor of Greek and Roman history, replacing gods etc. Really banal. Also, I was going to ask if you don't mind. If you remember how it was in school. I remember as a kid hearing that at other Christian schools (maybe the Catholic one as well) they made boys cut their hair a certain length and everybody had to wear pants unless they were going on a field trip. This is just such a good example of what I'm talking about. EDIT: They also made girls wear skirts to their knees at our school (but boys had whatever clothes and hairstyles they wanted besides ripped clothing) which I don't have a problem with just because skirts are thin and I understand the concern for girls if they wear mini skirts or shorts, not that that's too relevant here..but girls can have whatever hairstyle they desire, which matters to me because I had long hair back then

Christianity trying to bully people with its individualistic rather than historical interpretation of scripture. Because after all Jesus had long hair, and I think what's wrong with that? Then somebody says he was special. My view, Christianity is special. Specially made for idiots. Is that banal? By the way I'm not mad. I just think it's funny how adults think they can control children with their bullshit ideas. How dare you is what I say, and always have

Last edited:
I mean listen to the first 10-15 minutes of this and judge for yourself just how weird Christian theology is. Virgin births are a pagan idea. That part isn't even the main issue here though

I really should stop coming here when drunk, but surely all religions are false?
^ define the term... what is the definition of 'religion'?

when op comes back, what is your definition of 'religion'?

alasdair
I believe many religious philosophers have taken up the, in a sense reasonable, hypothesis that all religions exist as an unalterable matter of fact of the course of development in human society no different than the scientific underpinnings of nature itself as for instance like the formation of the solar system, the law of gravitation, "the big bang", all unfolded in a series of cause and effect with deterministic certitude - and that everything that exists comes about by necessity of a sort of predestination & the inevitable conditions preceding and following the basic premise underlying the origination of all that is, as inexplicable and incomprehensible as that would be for 'a foundation' (if not "a beginning") to what happens in the course of existence.

Whereby every specific religion (the beliefs and how they came to prominence) is ingrained from the start of reality into the fabric of progression of essential reality itself, and all of their "truth" (though the religious philosopher would cite their own individual tradition known to them as an instance of God having merciful favor designating them as a representative of their true revelations in the face of all else) is intrinsic within the fact that they play out at all: they are all irreducibly figured into what must exist and are of that same incomparable importance for what must be absolutely.

That seems to ring with notions of what truth is, philosophically, when on the grand scale of meaning (not dealing with contingent issues or empirical questions with equally empiric answers, as like when in mathematical terms can be understandable only within the qualifications of that closed system of the rules of math)

So under that postulate even our smallest choices in life reflect that "plan" (even if in secular wording and conception there is no anthropic by design intelligence reasoning it out), often explained through such denomimational nomenclature as "by the grace of the unchangeable and perfect will of God"

I believe it is equally viable when employing that logic within a scheme of hard mechanistic determinism; to say then what is, must have been, in even the most strict of materialistic "atheistic" metaphysics, and that those qualities of reality unfolding to here from some indeterminate point through time justifies all those opinions as part and parcel of the true essence of what reality entails, that each and every one of us should find the beliefs or professions of belief by the terms that we do indeed find them. It connects with eternity.

Of course, this is an argument I only see as valid from a perspective presupposing fatalistic predestination. Which itself requires taking precedence to objectification of concepts that only have perhaps meaning in their subjectivity. (here I can sense I am being sucked into Hegelian pleonasms) As the subject reifies object, and object can't be absolutely external while still being considered (implications of the subjective mode of entertaining ideas) which ultimately decide value for what would be a relative philosophical stance.

There's my unnecessary tl;dr of the moment.

that is a considered answer. thank you.

i think you make a number of interesting points but i'm not really sure you addressed the question head on.

i suppose i would, very simply, define religion as "a system of belief". that is, it's not just belief in and of itself, but the belief exists in the context of some set of principles or procedures. a method, if you will.

by that definition, christianity is not a false religion.

alasdair

A religion seems to consist of core ideas and beliefs about reality. Without a core, there's no real religion (in the modern sense of the word at least) and it's just a cult. Naturally people vary in their view of what a cult is but that's my basic understanding of cults. There's a literal and figurative being who hails above all its followers and says how things are to be handled, without human intervention/interpretation

If we want to talk about history that's a different ballgame although I can talk briefly about religious history. Christianity in a modern context can be interpreted through science and completely lack spiritual context yet still be considered Christianity since it isn't accountable for what it teaches and doesn't have to hold fast to rules considered vital to other more literal or conservative forms. One can follow Pauline teachings and be a Satanist for example. It doesn't matter since it's all about context

This to me shows that Christianity isn't a real religion even if at one time it could've been a recognized cult within Judaism. That form of Christianity died out before being restored and spread across the Middle East and Europe. No doubt modern-day Christianity would be unrecognizable to early Christians since Original Sin and deifying Jesus of Nazareth weren't a thing back then

Last edited:
Sometimes I try to follow the logic of other posts and see why people believe things. Sometimes the holes in the logic are huge and for no apparent reason they are invisible to the believers.

All religions are some long dead persons nonsense passed down like a game of telephone for generations. Mixed into these make believe stories are some actual facts like places and events but the story has been twisted into a lie to control the population with. Early lies (religions), fell apart first when we all noticed some of the stories failed to be true. Over time human understanding has eliminated most of the religious supernatural thinking.

The question I have for those who have religious beliefs is simple, when it comes to any other discipline in life (fishing, hunting, metallurgy or computer tech) the earliest proponents were the least useful or accurate. As time goes by we gain understanding and our skills at any field become enlightened and we stop killing people with poison food etc. Why do religious people feel only in religions can we get further away from truth and must keep reverting back to the oldest (probably worst) ideas?

Any religious belief should be based out of current understanding so older religions have little hope of any accuracy.

This however changes when you look at the really early pagan beliefs. Some of these pagan beliefs managed to filter through all the various religions and they are only tiny beliefs but some are still accurate. We still can look back and see salt and silver for killing "demons", the superstitious methods proved wrong but I use a silver microbial air filter to eliminate all biological life in my homes air. Salt is still one of the most deadly bacterial killers available. If the covid of yesterday was the demon salt and silver were the bullets to kill it.

The Jewish religion took food safe to a new level with kosher laws as did some others. Today food safe and work safety are like two separate religious groups each inflicting their methods on workers.

New religions are constantly being created by humanity, where we get lost is when we try to hang onto the old religions (like salt and silver or ancient food safe). Better understanding eliminates old beliefs and makes room for humanity to advance. Clinging to the old religions results in wars.

I get what you're saying but we can't do away with the past by ignoring the future. In other words we wouldn't exist without the past. By contrast I think it's crucial to understand the past if we're ever to understand what we're doing here now

From your post I have to say I agree with your sentiment that we must not forget our past, mistakes and all.

Sanitization of belief systems without understanding is a mistake we are currently making. Tearing down statues erected years ago to hero's that had a dark side under today's belief system. Our leaders once thought slavery was ok. The same leaders who wrote some of our religious document, independence documents and civil rights documents. We need to keep the irony of their limited understanding as part of our history. When we realize in our future we are making mistakes of similar proportion in our current society we can look back and see we are able to change.

Laws, including religious, must be fluid for society to function. When understanding supersedes laws, society reaches freedom. I'd like to give an example but I'm short on facts so I'm being general with slavery. We can all conceptually understand slavery is generated from greed and is wrong yet exists to a degree in all society where the impoverished can't earn enough to reach a better living. Once upon a time it wasn't just acceptable it was promoted. We need to always see we can change our society for the better or we will lose all hope.

We currently have tied down our society with far too many laws with dubious reasons for existing both religious and societal. Oddly I find myself in agreement with one of the principles of the Christian teaching that the spirit brings life but the law brings death.

The term "false religion" is a redundant expression.

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

I disagree. A false religion in my view is a cult or sect that broke away from an earlier, established tradition. Whether or not I believe it's false is irrelevant here

Richard Carrier is a mythicist so it's good to keep that in mind when listening to him

Tell Yourself, Today I Will Accept The Fact That Christianity Is A Failed Religion, Because Becoming A Blind Zombie Is A Far Cry For Being A Legitimate Substitute For Eternal Life.

We currently have tied down our society with far too many laws with dubious reasons for existing both religious and societal. Oddly I find myself in agreement with one of the principles of the Christian teaching that the spirit brings life but the law brings death.
Was that the line when Christianity was using inquisitions to grow Christianity, because they had no decent morals to convert with?

Regards
DL

Tell Yourself, Today I Will Accept The Fact That Christianity Is A Failed Religion, Because Becoming A Blind Zombie Is A Far Cry For Being A Legitimate Substitute For Eternal Life.
Tell yourself today that a "true" religion wouldn't show up in the form of a bully telling you what to do with your life. It's as simple as that really, hehe. Don't get me wrong, I definitely feel there's more to this world than what I can see or sense but in no way does that make these things spirit-based. I just think it's interesting but assuming anything abstract can be dangerous to one's mind if it turns into brainwashing

What's alarming to me, is the outright censoring of those whom hold and live Christ centered or moral lifestyle. It's just as bad as in the 1970's Watergate persecution of those on the left fearing losing their jobs. I must be a rare bird indeed among the crowd here. It's got to be the autism, the 'religious right' honestly persecutes those of faith more than those without faith. Just as Jesus was harled with hosanna in the highest on Thursday same crowd yelling with mod mentality crucify him, give us Barabbas (a murder) Nothing new under the sun as stated in the book of Ecclesiastes. But I digress, I am unashamed of who I serve and have no issue with others holding their own beliefs. Go therefor into all the world and make disciples of all men and women, is part of the marching orders from Jesus before He ascended. As such I share how my faith has quiet frankly saved my life. Call me what you may, mock radicle or scorn I'm used to it. Jesus said to not think it strange when others persecute me, for they hated Him as well. I'm not a doormat no, but those who hate the message of how I have peace they cannot ascertain or understand is to hate the Messenger and witness of my story that has become His Story history. I die daily to what I want to do, and humbly ask what can I do for you God? How can I help those around me? This is what my faith walk is for me daily. I mess up yes, but greater is He in me than he that is in the world. Hope that makes sense.

And you have the truth I take it`? Can't you see the hypocrisy in this?

I do not see it, only because I may not read as you do, --- but what particular truth is under discussion, and are you disagreeing with our friends notions?

Regards
DL