• REAGENT TESTING & DRUG CHECKING Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Featured Link 1 Featured Link 2
  • RT&DC Moderators: arrall

Why can't you tell the difference between ket and coke with a test kit?

curiousmind34

Greenlighter
Swim has received a baggie of white powder/shards and was told it was ket, although the effects of the substance do not match with those of ket, so swim decided to test the substance with a ketamine test kit containing 4 different testing reagents (mecke, leibermann, mandelin, froehde). All 4 tests gave positive results, meaning that the substance tested is most likely what it is being tested for. The only issue is that both ket and coke give the same test results, so swim doesn't know if the substance is ket or coke. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of buying a test kit? Swim reports the effects of the substance being nothing like ket or coke, and undesirable, that is the confusing part.

Last edited:
You can test the difference quite easily. The liebermann or scott reagent would do it.

Cocaine gives quite a deep, clear yellow with liebermann, usually well into the realms of orange. Ketamine gives a very, very faint yellow, with no hint of orange.

I know nothing about testing but that sounds like RC. Similar thing happened to me with MDMA.
im just confused because the tests work for a lot of different RC's. maybe it is a new RC that is not detected by the tests? hmmmm..... what was your experience like by the way?

im just confused because the tests work for a lot of different RC's. maybe it is a new RC that is not detected by the tests? hmmmm..... what was your experience like by the way?
My bad, I should have added that I did not test the supposed MDMA. Ate what I was told was about 50 mg in a social setting. Washed it down with some hard seltzer. FWIW I was already somewhat high on weed, so it's possible that the weed covered up any 'MDMA' effects I might have felt otherwise. T+60, 90, 120 etc I felt no different at any point. I know it wasn't just baking powder or some other null powder because the comedown was horrible. Unlike any weed comedown I've ever had. Felt like my brain was being wrung dry, numb/depressed mood, slight flat affect (though I don't think it was detectable to others). All I wanted was to be unconscious/sleep, but it took forever to fall asleep and as soon as I did I woke up again. Got maybe 3 fragmented hours of sleep total after being in bed for 10h. Thankfully the worst was over within two days. Three to seven days, numbness was hard to discern if it was lasting from the comedown or just pre-existing depression resurfacing afterward.

You can test the difference quite easily. The liebermann or scott reagent would do it.

Cocaine gives quite a deep, clear yellow with liebermann, usually well into the realms of orange. Ketamine gives a very, very faint yellow, with no hint of orange.
that is the exact result of the test, a very faint yellow. but according to the leibermann instructions, that is also the same result for cocaine. That is why i am confused. Also, if this substance is not ket or coke, why does it have the same results as if it were ket or coke? This also confuses me even more. I understand if a RC is not detectable or something, but why would it have the same exact test results as ket/coke? what are the chances of that? Maybe testing with more regents would reveal that it actually doesn't react the same as ket/coke to everything? I would assume that testing with 4 different reagents would be enough, but maybe not? Am I even making sense right now? or am I just rambling? I am pretty new to all this so I would like to hear everyone's opinion.

Last edited:
My bad, I should have added that I did not test the supposed MDMA. Ate what I was told was about 50 mg in a social setting. Washed it down with some hard seltzer. FWIW I was already somewhat high on weed, so it's possible that the weed covered up any 'MDMA' effects I might have felt otherwise. T+60, 90, 120 etc I felt no different at any point. I know it wasn't just baking powder or some other null powder because the comedown was horrible. Unlike any weed comedown I've ever had. Felt like my brain was being wrung dry, numb/depressed mood, slight flat affect (though I don't think it was detectable to others). All I wanted was to be unconscious/sleep, but it took forever to fall asleep and as soon as I did I woke up again. Got maybe 3 fragmented hours of sleep total after being in bed for 10h. Thankfully the worst was over within two days. Three to seven days, numbness was hard to discern if it was lasting from the comedown or just pre-existing depression resurfacing afterward.
man, that sucks, such a hard comedown with no enjoyment beforehand. Maybe it wasnt even an RC? just some random over the counter ingredients? who knows

that is the exact result of the test, a very faint yellow. but according to the leibermann instructions, that is also the same result for cocaine.

Well, that's what I'm saying. They're not truly identical, and if you had some side by side then you would see that. Per my previous description, if it's a very, very faint yellow then it's not cocaine. Your reaction is consistent with ketamine. There is nothing here to suggest it's not ketamine. There are a vanishingly small number of other substance combinations that could produce this but if you're still not convinced then you could send it for a lab test.

Well, that's what I'm saying. They're not truly identical, and if you had some side by side then you would see that. Per my previous description, if it's a very, very faint yellow then it's not cocaine. Your reaction is consistent with ketamine. There is nothing here to suggest it's not ketamine. There are a vanishingly small number of other substance combinations that could produce this but if you're still not convinced then you could send it for a lab test.
ah, ok. thanks for your response transform. I'm thinking that this is just an extremely weak batch of ketamine then. Maybe a lot more needs to be taken in order to feel the desired affects. thanks again.

I'm pretty sure the Zimmerman reagent differentiates coke and ketamine. It turns pink for ketamine but I can't find any reference to it reacting with cocaine. It's not widely available at the common test kit vendors but protestkit.eu stocks it. Double check on the coke non-reaction though.

Theres plenty of RCs that are supposedly 'like k' but in reality are just spaced out stims which i guess some ppl could confuse with being cokey due to the simulation

I'm pretty sure the Zimmerman reagent differentiates coke and ketamine. It turns pink for ketamine but I can't find any reference to it reacting with cocaine. It's not widely available at the common test kit vendors but protestkit.eu stocks it. Double check on the coke non-reaction though.
cool, thank you for the input. as for the coke reaction goes, I think transform was right, it is just a gradient from light yellow to dark yellow.

Theres plenty of RCs that are supposedly 'like k' but in reality are just spaced out stims which i guess some ppl could confuse with being cokey due to the simulation
I see. I think the real question is if any of those RCs can produce the same test results as ket when they are tested, because if not, then the substance tested should be ket.

that being said, another baggie of ket was just tested, but the results were different from the first baggie. Maybe you guys can give me your opinions on the results for a better idea of what is going on? Each baggie was tested twice just to see if the results were consistent, and they were. Here are the results.

Baggie #1.)

mecke: nothing at all
froehde: nothing at all
liebermann: very light yellow
mandelin : orange/deep orange

Baggie #2.)

mecke: yellow with very tiny hints of purple
liebermann: yellow with hints of purple (slightly more than the mecke)
mandelin: orange/deep orange with tiny hints of green

what do yall think?

I see. I think the real question is if any of those RCs can produce the same test results as ket when they are tested, because if not, then the substance tested should be ket.

that being said, another baggie of ket was just tested, but the results were different from the first baggie. Maybe you guys can give me your opinions on the results for a better idea of what is going on? Each baggie was tested twice just to see if the results were consistent, and they were. Here are the results.

Baggie #1.)

mecke: nothing at all
liebermann: very light yellow
mandelin : orange/deep orange

Baggie #2.)

mecke: yellow with very tiny hints of purple
liebermann: yellow with hints of purple (slightly more than the mecke)
mandelin: orange/deep orange with tiny hints of green

what do yall think?
Baggie 1 matches to ketamine or 3-FMC. The use of salt as a cutting agent would also yield an orange result in the Mandelin test. As for the possibility of Cocaine, the Mandelin would generally fade from orange/red/brown to yellow.

Baggie 2 matches perfectly to Methcathinone and is certainly not ketamine.

Can't you taste the difference!? Cocaine has a very unique flavor and causes numbing of the mouth and tongue. Also, I've never ever seen a cocaine shard. Cocaine crystals, even very pure ones are not something I'd describe as a shard.

I doubt anyone would sell coke as ketamine as coke is more expensive. At least here in Europe. Also I've never had coke looking like shards.
If you're in the UK you can have your substance tested completely for free and anonymously by Wedinos.
They have a website where you can print out the form to send with the sample.
They won't give you purity levels but they'll only tell you what active substances are in the sample. They do proper testing.
You'll know then for sure what the substance is.
As I said this only if you live in the UK.

Baggie 1 matches to ketamine or 3-FMC. The use of salt as a cutting agent would also yield an orange result in the Mandelin test. As for the possibility of Cocaine, the Mandelin would generally fade from orange/red/brown to yellow.

Baggie 2 matches perfectly to Methcathinone and is certainly not ketamine.
thank you so much for this!!!

and thank you everyone else for taking the time to reply, it really means a lot!

Looks like I got here after the mysterywas solved. Glad you found what you were looking for, and kudos for having the wherewithal to have a reagant kit!

Looks like I got here after the mysterywas solved. Glad you found what you were looking for, and kudos for having the wherewithal to have a reagant kit!
well there is still a mystery technically, the first baggie really feels nothing like ketamine or 3-FMC even though that's what the test suggests it is. Please feel free to share your thoughts!