• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin why cant i ever fall asleep on heroin

e92

Bluelighter
when i do a little, i have no problem falling asleep, but its when i do a lot and i'm super high i cant actually get a nights sleep. i'll nod off for a good 15 minutes, even half hour or even hour. but then i'll just wake right back up. i'll lay in bed, close my eyes super relaxed but i will not fall asleep. weird...

That's normal ime with opiates, you're too stimulated or high to sleep. It appears to be a common misconception that because you "nod" on opiates that this precedes sleep, it does in many cases but not if you're too high.

Same happens to me. Not sure why. I never Minded, I just enjoyed that I was awake during the high and not eating the whole experience by passing out for the duration. Of the effects especially if I am really high and obv to be really high you gotta do a lot and if I did a lot, i feel like I should be able to enjoy and be conscious for that to fully appreciate it and such. The real reason, I have no clue pharmacologically speaking. It is sedating in general and when I was dependent, like almost anyone who is, I required it to sleep, but in the morning when I would use it I would not have any issues staying awake and it even gave me energy when I was deep into 'using every single day.

That's normal ime with opiates, you're too stimulated or high to sleep. It appears to be a common misconception that because you "nod" on opiates that this precedes sleep, it does in many cases but not if you're too high.

Yeah I definitely agree with that.

I'm the same way. I usually get pretty high when I get some, and I don't sleep the entire night then. I feel totally relaxed and good though but I won't actually fall asleep.

Opiates, at higher doses, put you into the nod-state; that is their action and they do it, for they are not sedative-hypnotics which cause greater sedation with greater doses by the mechanism of GABA in the nervous system such as z-drugs, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, carisoprodol, gabapentin, etc. Opiates are a different animal - they don't sedate like a lot of other drugs do.

If the 'nod state' wasn't sedation I don't think they'd use etorphine/dihydroetophine on big game animal's.

Another reason that you possibly aren't sleeping is if you are using street Heroin then it could be cut with caffeine.

Heroin #3/freebase which is what we get inEurope is alalways cut with caffeine so it vapourises easier.

Another reason is because a lot of heroin now adays is heavily cut with fentanyl. Fentanyl is meant to heavily sedate a patient with debilitating pain but there's something in it that counteracts sleep. I have tried straight fentanyl by smoking it and I was the most high I've ever.been. I was nodding out standing up but couldn't stop doing more. And sleep is hard.to come by while on just fentanyl

Way back in the day, I used to not be able to sleep on opiods - I mean WAY back. I remember nights as a teenager laying on a couch in some flop house nodding face but not sleeping all night. They certainly are sedating, especially H and morphine, but something about them seems to preclude real sleep, at least during early use. Kind of like alcohol - yeah, it's very sedating, but you never get a real restful nights sleep if you go to bed drunk.

Once I actually needed opiods to function, I couldn't sleep without them.

Years and years later I currently need to take kratom before bed or I absolutely won't be able to sleep - it's not that it's a sleep aid, it's just that without it I can't sleep at all.