• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

why call pot a soft drug?

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee said:
What makes you say o.k..how do you no how good my memory is ?

errr...

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee said:
Not that I've noticed, in 15 years of smoking. what side effects do u expect me to have? Breathing normal, memory ok, diet perfect (not overweight) etc..

memory startin to fail on ya? ;)

Winterborn said:

I smoke 3 days a week, a couple of times in each day, have been doing so for roughly 18months, and I have almost no side-effects.

As for addiction... well, unless you have say some weird genetic predisposition to cannabis or absolutely no willpower, I really dont see how you could struggle with addiction.

Try smoking every single day, multiple times a day, for 18 months. Then you'll get a better understanding of how you will struggle with addiction.

As far as addiction goes, the physical withdrawals are quite effortless (cf. other common drug withdrawal such as speed or opioids) even with smoking daily for years. It's only the psychological dependence that comes from taking the easy path and not having to dream or occupy a bored brain all the time that is the hard part to get over IMO. Once you stick it through a week of wierd dreams and night sweats, the rest is in your head.

BigTrancer :)

mrephedrine69 said:
Try smoking every single day, multiple times a day, for 18 months. Then you'll get a better understanding of how you will struggle with addiction.
I'm pretty sure he understands your point, but he was just saying that you shouldn't let yourself get to that point.

BigTrancer, the thing is, for people who aren't used to any withdrawal symptoms at all, the relatively benign symptoms of weed withdrawal can still feel quite severe.

I've used a few drugs in my life, and weed is the only drug i've experienced any signs of physical dependence from. It's funny, because once it got to that stage, it was like a slap in the face and was actually very easy to take a break. It just depends on your priorities. For me, I was finding it very hard to sleep (though that's not unusual for me anyway), I would be irritable for the first few days, and sometimes I would experience a very supressed appetite. All these went away within a few days to a week, but was enough to change my habits so that these consequences are rarely seen now.

Because of its benign nature, weed is very easy to abuse, and it'll often take an adverse experience before one takes measures to keep their use in check.

All that said, I am smoking just about everyday, and go through about 3.5g a month. That's "shit all" or "fuckin' heaps" depending on who you talk to. At the moment, i'm fine with this, my use is not intruding on my life (says me).

A few people in this thread have said how the immediate effects of weed have left them confused, paranoid, or whatever. To those people, do you think you simply smoked passed your personal threshold between comfort and discomfort? In other words, do you think that smoking even a little amount would do this to you no matter what? Personally, I believe paranoia factor is largely mental, with potential to be controlled. But I do believe confusion is due to passing your limits.

A part of me wants to address the issue of hydro, but I won't, because there are too many variables to consider, with just about no way to be sure of any of them. I will say though, that hydro, instrinsically, is no worse than "bush", and could be (arguably) better for you.

Even though I have said that weed is the only drug that I have experienced (slight) physical dependence from, I still agree that is a soft drug. Why? Because any dependence I experienced was a result of irresponsible abuse. But with moderated use, weed will treat me best out of all the drugs I have tried.

EDIT: I want to ask a question that someone more knowledgable than me can answer.

Through a lot of interaction with other smokers, i've found that loss of appetite is not an uncommon withdrawal symptom. It is the worst one i've experienced, because your body needs to eat. But what I want to know is what processes/systems in your body are responsible for this. I have a feeling the serotonin system plays a part, but would like to know for certain. Anyone know, or have their own theories?

Last edited:
Ok , ive smoked preety heavily for the past 7 mths everyday. The drug itself is habitual, meaning that the brain becomes accustom to its effects when certain situations arise . personally ive noticed that my short-term memory under the influence ( and / or a few days after heavy smoking ) is impared . There is a period of withdrawl which is to my experience Psychological only while strong its definatley all in the mind.

Ive only noticed these side effects throught my experience with marijuana:

* noticed lack of motivation while under the influence , while this may not be true for every person I have noticed that once the drug has worn off or is comming down A-motivational effects are not prominent.

*Lung capacity , this is un-avoidable with heavy smoking as marijuana has alot of tar & debris unless smoked through a vapouriser lung issues can arrise from heavy use.

*Memory , extremley impared while under the influence and (after heavy use) a few days after intoxication , After this period my memory has increased back to its usual capacity.

*Addictive traits , the drug is like any other psychological addiction to an action exept the personality (which varies between people ) seeks the state the drug induces , which can be induced by time , mood, activity & even things like boredom. As with any psychological addiction there is a period of un-comfort associated with abrupt disruption to this pattern of habbit.

All the above information is my opinion on THC & its effects based on my own experiences. These may differ between people and this should be taken into account.

mrephedrine69 said:

Im not aware of any drug that someone can take with that frequency and not be addicted. Hell, I know people my age who cant stop having 3 cups of coffee a day or they get quite noticeable withdrawls (both physical and mental). That dosent mena that caffiene is a hard drug though, does it?

^ True. You guys who say you smoked 5 grams a day for a year and then stopped and you had withdrawl..so what? Why would you smoke that often anyway? It just ruins the experience in that, it's nothing novel anymore, just a medicated state of mind that you put yourself in, IMO.

Also, for the people saying you feel a different high, I agree.
I'm not sure of the parameters effecting the type of high I get, but I much more enjoy a euphoric, giggly, trippy high that I get a lot more rarely.

phah you people who say weed is the worst drug are a bit full of it IMHO. its probably the simple fact that you can smoke pot for years on end, and be stoned for your whole waking life that makes you think its so bad.

take a person who smokes ice all day for 15 years, someone who takes pills all day for 15 years, some one who is on acid all day for 15 years, hell even a 15 year daily drunk and compare them to someone whos a full time stoner for 15 years and youll soon see why its called a soft drug. yeah it kills your motivation and makes you paranoid sometimes, but shit if you dont liek it then dont fuggen smoke it. if i took any drug to the extent that i used to smoke pot id probably be dead or fucked up for life.

i smoked about 20 buckets a day for 4 years and stopped it dead without any sort of withdrawl or side effects, other than being irrate for a few days. OOOOH big deal.

why did i stop? because i didnt enjoy it much aymore. its a mental addiction not a physical one, its easy as piss to stop if you dont wanna smoke it. but hey its easier to just blame your problems on pot right?

i noticed all the bad vibes/paranoia etc started up when i stared doing E/meth/DXM. before that it was all smooth sailing. its interesting to note that on this website, primarily concerned with harder drugs, alot of people dont like pot and complain of side effects, while on the marijuana.com website, where the majority ONLY smoke pot, there is almost no problems at all.

interesting...

p.s. i grow my own smoke because i dont like the taste and headaches caused by toking up a plant full of canna.

p.p.s. the physical damage caused by dope is from the smoke particles not the THC. eat it, or buy a frigen vapouriser if its a concern. or has pot *made* you so lazy that you cant afford it?

^i've lost faith in marijuana.com. it's full of people who refuse to be objective when it comes to looking at weed, you'll be hard pressed to find someone there who'll admit the negative effects. a lot of them are just as bad as prohibitionists, the very people they're opposing.

EJ said:
^i've lost faith in marijuana.com. it's full of people who refuse to be objective when it comes to looking at weed, you'll be hard pressed to find someone there who'll admit the negative effects. a lot of them are just as bad as prohibitionists, the very people they're opposing.

I know what you mean, sad isn't it 8)

I've done some research now instead of using just my own experience, and have learned that marijuana addiction affects others differently. Most will only experience psychological addiction. But it is not uncommon for people who smoke hydro daily to have some form of physical addiction due to the high THC levels that develop in fatty tissues over time. Physical addiction is becoming more prevelant as the THC levels of marijuana get higher.

^I don't get that logic. If you've got higher quality weed, then doesn't that mean you just end up smoking less per desired effect?

Corsto, I think u hit the nail on the head.

Yeah, it can be "addictive", but ditto with gambling - gamblers can get cold sweats everytime they walk past a gaming room, and often cannot quit, despite joining gamblers anonymous etc.

In other words, it isnt really addictive, its HABIT FORMING.
Yes, if u stop suddenly, it can b very tough, hard to sleep etc.

Try travelling Os though, and things may change (depengind on the person) - when I travel OS, I find quitting very easy, despite smoking almost everyday for 10 years now - Im so busy doing about a million other things, I just dont even think about it.

But if Im at home, had a hard days work, and nothing but letterman on the idiot box? Well I find it very hard to say no in this situation, and if I do, I spend every 2 mins thinking about it.

Why a soft drug?

Well, u cant die from it directly (ie OD), there is no STRONG physical addiction, u can use it everyday and still b quite intelligent/functional and not have it affect your job.

Yes, there are side effects like everything else. But why say "I had 20 bongs a day for 10 years, and it affected my health negatively, therefore its a hard drug" i mean, try eating 20 marsbars a day for the same period of time, and see which one makes u sicker quicker. And 20 bongs a day is nothing compared to some people!!!

And once again, just like a diabetic with sugar (who would probably die in a day if they ate 20 marsbars), there are some people who have stronger negative reactions than other people (ie bad reaction from just a little). But that doesnt make it a hard drug!

EJ said:
^I don't get that logic. If you've got higher quality weed, then doesn't that mean you just end up smoking less per desired effect?

I found that like with any other drug your body develops a tolerence to strong weed. We used to get stuff that would absolutely smash you off one cone, and then a week later it would take you 3 or 4.... There must be a limit as to how strong you can go though you would think....

MJ.com sucks because its full of immature little american pricks who smoke leaf and think they are suddenly gang bangin homies... its still a valid arguement i think that using pot + other drugs will result in more problems than just using pot... it seems to 'bring out' subtle changes caused by other chemicals i think.

my sister gets acid flashbacks when shes stoned and i get DXM like effects. before we took above mention drugs we just got 'stoned'

high THC content marijuana is healthier because you inhale less smoke particles and more THC per toke. this assumes that an individual will have *some* degree of control over their usage and aim to get to level of 'stoned' and then put down the bong...

whether you smoke 50 cones of 1% THC weed or 5 cones of 10% THC weed your going to get a tolerance with daily use. thats why you shouldnt smoke cones all day everyday..

i agree that some people just dont get on well with weed, and yes it can induce schitzophrenia in people predisposed to it... its by no means a 'healthy' or completely 'safe' drug... but what is??

if your going to label pot a hard drug, then there is no such thing as a soft drug. (im not opposed to dropping the whole stupid hard/soft thing and just calling them all DRUGS mind you)

if you smoke golden hash oil, which is pretty close to being pure THC then you wont die or suffer toxic effects. if you injested pure ethanol or nicotine you would wind up dead or severely poisoned.

i think its peoples habits of useage regarding pot that makes it a problem not the drug itself. you cant take meth or E or most other drugs all day without totally fucking yourself up and losing all the good effects. pot is exceptional, because you can toke it up for years on end and youll still get stoned and be able to function fairly well (for most people)

so is it pots fault that you smoke cones all day and lose your motivation or your own?

theres a study that showed light marijuana use raised your IQ by about 4 points while heavy use dropped it by about 8... pretty useless since IQ is a subjective thing but interesting all the same...

IQ is bullshit.

having stopped smoking weed regularly, I can see why people say it's not addictive and is a "soft" drug - which is bullshit basically. It is mentally addictive, phyiscally addictive [nausia and loss of appetite in the morning anyone?] and seriously starts to mess with *some peoples - not all, but I know it messes with me* heads after a few weeks of serious smoking.

Soft, my understanding, refers to dosage curve in relation to harmful effects. Shoot too much Heroin or speed and you'll die, smoke too much pot, you'll green out, vomit for a while and pass out, waking up swearing you'll never touch the damn stuff again. I think when you've been smoking to the point that you don't get the savage "bongover" in the morning, that is when you start being permastoned (at least in my experence).