• Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Fashion Why are Men Business Suit all expensive?

birdup.snaildown

Bluelighter
DOTS not fucking SPOTS

You'll have to excuse me @dalpat077, I wasn't born in the 19th century.

birdup.snaildown said:
Throw out the blue one with one white spots, unless you:
1) play the accordion
2) moonlight as a polka instructor or a clown
3) are auditioning for the Wiggles

Very funny. 🤣 It's actually one that I really like. You're seeing them out of context is all. I make the tie. Not the other way around! 🤣

Wasn't joking, but post a pic of you rocking that tie in a full ensemble that compliments it and I will retract my comments along with a full apology. That tie is fucking hideous and that's coming from someone who is currently wearing a pair of adidas tracksuit pants with a hole in the crotch.

Prove me wrong, bro.
Let's see you "make" that tie. :D

brickk

Bluelighter

I appreciate your -collection- of ties, but to be honest, if I was a girl and I had the urgent need to fuck you, only the red tie would be allowed, sorry! :D

dalpat077

Bluelighter
I appreciate your -collection- of ties, but to be honest, if I was a girl and I had the urgent need to fuck you, only the red tie would be allowed, sorry! :D
So that's the problem. And all along here's me thinking it was my personality that sucked! 🤣

For the record though:

This thread is supposed to be about you not me. So when you've done this upgrade we want pics.! :)

Last edited:

Iceman1216

Bluelighter
This whole Tie discussion has been Hysterical to me:love:! I really do feel "Older now" In my day I was such a rebel , now " old crabby Man" called yesterday!! I now sound like my Father Lol Lol
I could never get hired by a cool new tech startup , but could work for Goldman Sachs !!
I do not feel that the whole shift to more casual work space, I still feel that a "properly dressed gentleman" make a strong statement of the firm? But I am decades older than most of you. I only got on here because I had my children late in life, and wanted to see what his Drug life might be, so I could help

alasdairm

Bluelight Crew
there's a lot of snobbery online and, it seems, ties are no exception.

it's a very personal thing, for sure.

like a tie? buy it and wear it.

don't like a tie? wear something else...

i don't wear ties nearly as often as i used to but i still have a decent collection - 25 or 30 perhaps including these:

my favorite tie designer is audrey buckner. the 3 on the right here are all buckner ties. the one on the left is ck. like the simple look of a dark suit with a white shirt and a splash of color in the tie.

alasdair

dalpat077

Bluelighter
there's a lot of snobbery online and, it seems, ties are no exception.

it's a very personal thing, for sure.

like a tie? buy it and wear it.

don't like a tie? wear something else...

i don't wear ties nearly as often as i used to but i still have a decent collection - 25 or 30 perhaps including these:

my favorite tie designer is audrey buckner. the 3 on the right here are all buckner ties. the one on the left is ck. like the simple look of a dark suit with a white shirt and a splash of color in the tie.

alasdair
Wow. We agree on something.

Must say the second and the last, from left to right, are very nice. Especially the last one on the right.

Interesting the direction of the stripes in the striped one though.

And just when you thought you had it all figured out:

brickk

Bluelighter
So that's the problem. And all along here's me thinking it was my personality that sucked! 🤣

For the record though:

This thread is supposed to be about you not me. So when you've done this upgrade we want pics.! :)

Nah I think the whole thread could be useful to everyone... not only me, and your knowledge and experience is important, believe it or not.

Like (at least for me) you clearly made a point in the absolute -elite- of the "suit wearers": washing/ironing techniques, leather shoes, tight of tie, whiteness of shirt, CUFFLINKS, you know...

So that helps me finding balance in something that fits me without being too much a poser or a tryhard, but also not completely a clown with chinese plastic stuff (which was intentionally my idea) (not being a clown, but wearing chinese stuff)

I'll probably look for a blazer or something like, I think thats the most -balanced- thing I can think of.

Pics? We will see :)

brickk

Bluelighter
When I saw the pic with the ties I thought that the "fancy" ties were kinda hard to match or smth, but this blue one is looking good.
But tell me about the lenght, I was randomly googling about ties and ended up on some page telling how to get the "right" tie, based on your height, where it should end, how wide it should be and so on.
According to the picture, your tie is a bit below the belt, isn't that too long? What's your opinion/point of view of this rule?

Of course we are talking about some stupid "general rules", everyone is free to wear what he wants and how he wants.

dalpat077

Bluelighter
When I saw the pic with the ties I thought that the "fancy" ties were kinda hard to match or smth, but this blue one is looking good.
But tell me about the lenght, I was randomly googling about ties and ended up on some page telling how to get the "right" tie, based on your height, where it should end, how wide it should be and so on.
According to the picture, your tie is a bit below the belt, isn't that too long? What's your opinion/point of view of this rule?

Of course we are talking about some stupid "general rules", everyone is free to wear what he wants and how he wants.
Hey.

You're quite right about the length in it being too long today. Truth be told I was in a bit of a hurry today so didn't go through my usual anal routine which usually involves doing the tie knot umpteen times until it's just right and which, usually, to me, is that the very tip of the tie is somewhere just around the middle of the belt buckle type of thing. Put it this way: it's one of those things that you just know is right when it's right and I always feel uncomfortable and self-conscious when it's not (like today). Some days: it goes right first time. Other days it's a pain in the the backside to get it just right! And being so anal about it has indeed resulted in me only just making a meeting in time as opposed to be early as is my usual preference.

And not all ties are created equal either. That particular tie is a particularly long tie so it has to be tied with a double (or full) windsor knot (this as opposed to a single windsor knot for a shorter ties). That tie also pretty thick material so it takes some doing to not end up with a tie knot that's the size of a tennis ball type of shit! 🤣

As to exactly how long ties should be: I've honestly never looked it up. But now that you've brought it up: I shall do so!

I do know this: Trump's ties, to me, for example, always too long for some reason. But could also be because he's not a small guy. Dunno.

On the other hand: too long for sure better than too short. I've seen dudes putting in a real effort to look smart but ties halfway up their shirt. That's when you know somebody doesn't wear a collar and tie too often! 🤣

But good notice or call there my man! 🤣

Pictures came out a bit shit though because of the sun. I noticed the jacket looks like it's a different shade from the pants. It's not I assure you though. Always an entire suit is cleaned at the same time so as to avoid jacket and pants maybe ended up in different shades.

Last edited:

brickk

Bluelighter
Yeah altought Internet is not a relatable source and as already said, everyone is free to wear what he wants, I read about the lenght.

Here is the picture that "teachs you" what lenght to choose, based on your height:

I agree with Trump's ties btw, I just googled the images and they are definitely too long according to "standards", but it doesn't bother me too much, I mean unless they end up between his legs... who cares.
I just find weird that a tall guy like him cannot find a shorter tie, or do some trick to make it slighty shorter.

dalpat077

Bluelighter
Yeah altought Internet is not a relatable source and as already said, everyone is free to wear what he wants, I read about the lenght.

Here is the picture that "teachs you" what lenght to choose, based on your height:

I agree with Trump's ties btw, I just googled the images and they are definitely too long according to "standards", but it doesn't bother me too much, I mean unless they end up between his legs... who cares.
I just find weird that a tall guy like him cannot find a shorter tie, or do some trick to make it slighty shorter.

Hey. Thanks for this. Very interesting.

I must say that here though there's not really a choice. In other words: ties are never sold based on anything other than their pattern or appearance. In other words: in not the same way as you'd know your size of pants or jacket or something and would choose accordingly. Unless you looked at the label of course on the back. But they're not split up into different lengths or whatever in the shops type of thing.

In his case though and being in America I guess he would know the length and stick to the same. With him though you cannot see the back part of the tie i.e. could be really short? Another little trick that some do, if they cannot get the length of both parts just right, is to tuck the back part into the shirt.

But then I've also seen dudes wear ties where the back part is longer than the front and sticks out at the bottom! Again: not regular wearers (or just don't a shit about what they look like).

Great thread of your's though (as I've said before).

You're becoming quite the fashionista here! :) And I'm never too old to learn either obviously.

brickk

Bluelighter
I must say that here though there's not really a choice

Thats a problem here too, specially in my case since I should look for a X-short tie: I'm not very tall, and finding a custom lenght tie was kinda impossible when I tried to look for it, they were all standard 145cm+ size.
And that's another reason why I probably will never wear a tie, I mean it can just me being insicure about my height, but I don't see myself dressed like you or Trump. At least not everyday.

More likely a Blazer and some pants or jeans... something in between you know. Thats what I'm looking for at the moment. Maybe if I was taller and with more self-exteem (and money of course) I could think different.

Doing the tie research was/is fun tho, even if the subject kinda doesn't affect me :((

sugar.clothing

Bluelighter
buy a suit from a second hand shop and have it tailored to fit you
I second this. Have you ever thought of checking out the thrift stores in your area for suits? Donations come in every day and I'm sure the clothing racks are changing all the time. You can get a good looking suit coat with pants for under $20. If you don't find one the first try, go back another time! I've also scored some designer ties from there for cheap as well. We're talking $3 for a Brookes Brothers / Express / Armani brand ties.

brickk

Bluelighter
^
Yeah I did that (thrift stores and used stuff), but I found only those jackets wore by old people on Sunday when going to the Church, with ugly colors and design.

I had better luck with general stores (not Chinese) with some real decent Blazers.
The prices were around $50-$60, I just need to find a good color and size :)

dalpat077

Bluelighter
One from the Vladimir Vladimirovich range! 🇷🇺

This clearly conveys the message "No. I don't want to have a debate about it. Just get it done". ☢️

brickk

Bluelighter
^ Yeah that is so good looking and classy, but also too extreme for a casual person like me.

I went to the store and they had all Winter Blazers, they told me to wait few months for Summer arrivals, so I may check them out.

Little note: that shirt's neck -wings- on the picture are so "straight down"... mine usually are like 45° or something, unless I use the button that keeps them attached to the neck, but I think they look trash that way... never used the neck buttons on the shirts that have them.
And yea I passed the iron multiple times on the -wings- trying to keep them as straight as possible, but they always end up a little loose, the ones on the pic look made of steel. Not even a hurrican could move them.

My shirts are 100% Cotton if that matters. Maybe they are just thin (or cheap, or both).
Never cared much because I always wore them with a V-neck Wool Sweater, but if I had a Jacket/Blazer/whatever, I want the wings straight down.