• Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Fashion Why are Men Business Suit all expensive?

Xorkoth

🎨 ARTministrator 🎨
Staff member
I'm glad I don't work in an area where I need to wear clothing that costs a silly amount of money so I can put on what amounts to a posturing display to impress others (I wouldn't hold it against anyone who has to do that though, at all), and where - apparently - some people will throw a perfectly good shirt away after wearing it one time because they're so needful of being the "best" at said posturing.

But to the OP's question, I think it's because they're much more involved to produce than cheaper clothing. Back in the day before mass production, clothes were hugely expensive since they are so skilled labor intensive. many people didn't have any nice clothes, or like if you had one set of nice clothes, you were going places. These days we take for granted how cheap and abundant clothing is - so much so that some people refuse to wear something more than once. Which is about the most sickeningly spoiled, out of touch thing I've heard about in a while.

Atelier3

Bluelighter
I just bought a new super shmick suit expressly for going on first dates. If you divide the purchase price by the average cost of the sex workers I will no longer need to visit it'll pay for itself pretty quickly. Worn without a tie and with a decent pair of shoes and matching belt it says "I bet he has an Aston-Martin in the garage and absolutely no history of getting fucked up on stimulants and shagging cute transexuals for 72 hours straight."

Shady's Fox

Bluelighter
Palm trees & sea, just walkin along the beach.
Always check for stiching. They're expensive because there's two type of works blue collar and white collar. Most buy it for business and use it only on special occasions such as a wedding/funeral or you know, a birth. Tbh, I have two > velvet and wool. The wool one I don't use it that often because I only use it for high business deals like going to a company to settle down the waters, etc. I go for the velvet most of time beacause's easier on ''hand'' and just the fact that it's more potent to dust, unlike wool where you touch a doorbell you gotta throw it in the washin machine ahahaha. Bottom line is, people buy stuff for different reason. One might be homeless and buy it because of the concept, so on.

brickk

Bluelighter
I was looking for something like this, without being too much a poser/tryhard. Can it be done? (Ignore the color combination which I find awful, and the shoes lmao)

Or better to stick with a normal shirt and jeans?

birdup.snaildown

Bluelighter
If you're going to a job interview, yes, keep the watch.

If it's a wedding or a funeral, you don't need it...
A bit of manscaping wouldn't hurt, though.
Oh... and invest in one of these:

dalpat077

Bluelighter
I was looking for something like this, without being too much a poser/tryhard. Can it be done? (Ignore the color combination which I find awful, and the shoes lmao)

Or better to stick with a normal shirt and jeans?
Well for what my dinosaur opinion is worth: I like it. Doesn't look poser or try hard at all. Second outfit, maybe with a jacket, nicer than the first i.e. agreed on the shoes in the first pic.

dalpat077

Bluelighter
If you're going to a job interview, yes, keep the watch.

If it's a wedding or a funeral, you don't need it...
A bit of manscaping wouldn't hurt, though.
Oh... and invest in one of these:
That had better not be what I think it is? One of those elasticated bow ties! What;s next? A clip on tie? 🤣

Iceman1216

Bluelighter
Work clothes is a Tax deduction in the US !! So you get to either have very nice clothes or give the $$ to the Govt. Many things are priced in the world due to TAX liability or Not!! My Accountant always tells me " XXX.xx amount of money is not yours, either find some deductions or give it to the Govt?? But it is NOT YOURS"

dalpat077

Bluelighter
Here's a fun, albeit useless, fact that I'll guarantee not a single philistine on this thread is aware of:

Only in America do men's tie stripes run the opposite direction to the rest of the world.

You will never be able to look at a striped tie again without thinking about this post! 🤣

dalpat077

Bluelighter
Guy in the first pic is FINEEEE
Just so that we're clear: I was referring to the clothes (that I like) in the pics.! 🤣

Gotta watch my backside around here it would seem (no pun intended) (this in reference to my good friend @birdup.snaildown's post sometime earlier today on my President Putin thread is all! 🤣 ).

Last edited:

Iceman1216

Bluelighter
Here's a fun, albeit useless, fact that I'll guarantee not a single philistine on this thread is aware of:

Only in America do men's tie stripes run the opposite direction to the rest of the world.

You will never be able to look at a striped tie again without thinking about this post! 🤣

so after 50+ years of wearing ties I Learn this Lol LOl !
No I am not 100, started in Catholic school. I will admit that I will now always remember this. I had to go to the back of my closet ( own my own business now , wear a tie a few times a year, on choice not requirement) and look for ties that I had bought on business trips in the 80s & 90s . Sure enough !! thanks

dalpat077

Bluelighter
so after 50+ years of wearing ties I Learn this Lol LOl !
No I am not 100, started in Catholic school. I will admit that I will now always remember this. I had to go to the back of my closet ( own my own business now , wear a tie a few times a year, on choice not requirement) and look for ties that I had bought on business trips in the 80s & 90s . Sure enough !! thanks
Honest truth? You and me both! 🤣

Only about three years ago or so (I'm 56 this year) did I happen to be lying on the bed staring into the ether and the cupboard was open. And for some reason I noticed that every single one of my striped ties sloped from bottom left to top right when viewed from the front. And I have many. And one would have thought that out of, say, +50 or so striped ties, at least one of them would slant the other way not? I shit you not: after that I asked clothing shops and other people if they knew the reason and nothing. Even had a clothing salesman or two going through all of the ties in the shop (for his own interest not mine). And then some bright spark, just last year, said well "why don't you Google it"! 🤣

Last edited:

Atelier3

Bluelighter

Who the fuck would wear a striped tie in 2021? Dude. Seriously!

birdup.snaildown

Bluelighter
Throw out the blue one with one white spots, unless you:
1) play the accordion
2) moonlight as a polka instructor or a clown
3) are auditioning for the Wiggles

The one on the far left almost looks like part of a school uniform.
The rest of them are okay, I suppose...

I'm guessing you have one of those motorized tie racks?

dalpat077

Bluelighter
Throw out the blue one with one white spots, unless you:
1) play the accordion
2) moonlight as a polka instructor or a clown
3) are auditioning for the Wiggles
Very funny. 🤣 It's actually one that I really like. You're seeing them out of context is all. I make the tie. Not the other way around! 🤣

The one on the far left almost looks like part of a school uniform.
I dunno which school you went to. But I'll have you know it's probably one of the most expensive ties I have!

I suppose...
You suppose? 🤣

I'm guessing you have one of those motorized tie racks?
Nope. I'm not that pretentious I assure you!

Believe it or not though: over the years I've noticed, mostly subconsciously it would seem, that the choice of tie for the day reflects my mood. Also sometimes dictated by with whom you're going to meet with (if you already know the person etc.).

I'm telling you there's a study to this shit (just have never bothered to look) and something in it. Even a dumb thing such as the choice of tie color and pattern can affect both yourself and the other party psychologically. Some will have the other person believe you're more approachable (such as the one with the DOTS not fucking SPOTS) for example while others will give the impression that you're not there to fuck around or make friends! Suppose the same could be said for different colors when it comes to suits or jackets or shirts or whatever. Maybe I'll "just Google it" one day! 🤣