• Current Events, Politics
    & Science

    Welcome Guest
    Please read before posting:
    Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • CEPS Moderators: cduggles | Deru | mal3volent
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Covid-19 Who's planning on getting a COVID-19 vaccine? (Poll)

Are you planning on getting a COVID-19 vaccine?

  • Yes, as soon as possible

  • Probably but I'm going to wait a while first and see how others tolerate it

  • Probably not but maybe

  • No, never


Results are only viewable after voting.

CFC

Bluelight Crew
Joined
Mar 9, 2013
Messages
14,938
Location
The Shire
I've caught covid twice now, once last March, and then had my booster infection with it in January. Second time was extremely mild, so I'm fairly well vaccinated for now. Though that South African variant seems concerning (AZ's recent SA trial showed people getting reinfected with more severe symptoms), so I'd be happy to get a shot targeted at that one or others as the need emerges - assuming it will actually help.
 

mal3volent

Sr. Moderator: CEPS, TL, S&G
Staff member
Joined
Jun 6, 2011
Messages
16,492
I've caught covid twice now, once last March, and then had my booster infection with it in January. Second time was extremely mild, so I'm fairly well vaccinated for now. Though that South African variant seems concerning (AZ's recent SA trial showed people getting reinfected with more severe symptoms), so I'd be happy to get a shot targeted at that one or others as the need emerges - assuming it will actually help.

jesus man, so sorry <3
are you feeling better now?
 
  • Heart
Reactions: CFC

Xorkoth

🎨 ARTministrator 🎨
Staff member
Joined
Feb 8, 2006
Messages
52,701
Location
In the mountains
Damn @CFC, twice? :( I know the first time was terrible for you. Do you have your taste and smell back yet? How are you doing (not just with covid but in general)?
 
  • Heart
Reactions: CFC

CFC

Bluelight Crew
Joined
Mar 9, 2013
Messages
14,938
Location
The Shire
Second time around was a comparative cinch. Got a very mild fever and temporary loss of smell again, plus headache and general feeling of being unwell, gut distress, plus high BP/pulse/energy levels (lots of adrenaline, same as first time around). None of the other symptoms though (ie the vertigo, extreme myalgias etc).

It was over within a couple of days, but I was presumably producing enough of the little critters up my nose/tonsils to give two positive PCR test results.

My general sense of smell never came back fully @Xorkoth Formerly unpleasant smells (ie rotting food, faeces) still smell like flowers/parfum, mint in particular is still a bit gross. But over time I've gradually rewired them a bit I guess (or just got used to things smelling different).

The brain damage I experienced isn't much better though. It's very depressing - I'm down 28 points on IQ testing (10 years apart, but still, that's quite a slump). I tend to avoid speaking in public because I just can't grasp the words/nouns anymore and come across as an illiterate imbecile to people who've never met me before. The thoughts are there, I just can't convey them efficiently or effectively on demand with spoken language anymore.
 

Xorkoth

🎨 ARTministrator 🎨
Staff member
Joined
Feb 8, 2006
Messages
52,701
Location
In the mountains
Sorry man, that sounds rough. :( I'm sure it will continue to get better over time, the human brain is capable of greater healing.
 
  • Heart
Reactions: CFC

MsDiz

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Joined
Mar 31, 2020
Messages
5,099
Location
Ireland
Wow @CFC i am so sorry you’ve been through so much! That’s just awful. Like Xorky says though the brain is capable of recovering due to neuroplasticity. Sending you healing vibes dude! ❤️
 
  • Heart
Reactions: CFC

D's

Moderator: NMI, TDS, TL
Staff member
Joined
Apr 26, 2006
Messages
26,492
Location
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )
Glad you pulled through @CFC . Maybe now your body has developed a response for Covid, and hopefully if you ever get exposed to it again then you will be ready.
I got the 2nd shot last friday, and was sick a little over 12 hours from the shot. first arm hurt, then headache,chills,restlessness and felt really tired. Could kind of relate it to feeling dope sick.
It only lasted about half a day. I felt much better around noon on Saturday, and even better on sunday.
Just hope it was enough to prevent getting infected. A good friend of mine is still in the hospital. He already had breathing issues, and from what I hear he isn't doing to good. :(
 

Xorkoth

🎨 ARTministrator 🎨
Staff member
Joined
Feb 8, 2006
Messages
52,701
Location
In the mountains
Sorry about your friend, I hope he pulls through. ♥️

Many people report being very tired/sickly for a day following the second injection, but then they get better, and don't have to fear covid anymore. It doesn't protect 100% against getting covid, but so far from what I understand it has a 100% chance of preventing severe illness, which is huge and a massive success.
 

trogere

Bluelighter
Joined
Jan 11, 2005
Messages
756
It's probably not a worthwhile question. The totals aren't and never have been claimed to be an exact count of everyone who's died of covid. What they are is a ballpark figure. One that's largely been confirmed by the excess death numbers.
The big boss of public health where I live explained in a press conference that if you die of cancer and you have covid-19, you're counted as dead of covid-19.

About the excess death numbers: a lot of people with chronic health problems or cancers had delays in their treatments. Also, where I live, a lot of people were left alone in nursing homes and in fact died of dehydratation. And, let's not forget all the extra suicides!
 

CFC

Bluelight Crew
Joined
Mar 9, 2013
Messages
14,938
Location
The Shire
My 95 year old Nan who has Alzheimers and is in a care home somehow managed to contract Covid a few days ago :rolleyes:. She looked pretty fatigued when we had a videocall on Whatsapp and didn't eat her dinner. She was back to normal the next day though and seems fine now. She had the AstraZeneca vaccine about two or three weeks prior.
 

novaveritas

Bluelighter
Joined
Jun 8, 2018
Messages
971
This paper is interesting mainly because it is being spun to like crazy in the media.

People need to know where the original information is, go to the source and draw their own conclusions.
Make their own decisions. The people in this study did and that is completely right that they should do that.

The study revealed that doctors and nurses appear personally not very keen on getting the corona vaccine.

change hxxps to https
hxxps://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.11.21251548v2.full.pdf

I don't expect everyone to agree with the summary below. The media are spinning this as a BAME thing, but the evidence shows it is not simply a BAME thing, The difference in BAME makeup is not sufficient to explain the differences. Just keep an open mind.

It appears to be Doctors Nurses HCAs porters cleaners etc Frontline workers vs not front line management and administration.

TL;DR
In the NHS Trust examined take up varied by what people do in the Trust. The Trust was hit very hard several times last year by coronavirus and again in the winter surge. Vaccination rates peaked in the Trust over a month ago and have been dclining ever since. Those that chose not to take it have had plenty of opportunity to take it since and have also come under severe pressure to change their minds.

The media are spinning this as a BAME thing, but the difference in BAME proportion is not sufficient to explain the difference in take up. the split is significant and it is frontline vs support, frontline vs management

In this trust:
Frontline
57.4% of Doctors take up.
The other 43.6% of Doctors are either hard no or wait and see at this point
62.5% of Nurses and Health care assistants take up
37.5% either no or wait andsee at this point
60.7 Estates and facilities (includes cleaners porters etc) take up

Not Frontline
Healthcare Scientists , Path lab etc 72.8% take up
Admin, Managers and executives 73.2% take up

Administrators Managers and executives who have less risk are much more keen on the vaccine than the frontlie staff.
Whether staff had previously had a positive coronavirus test or had previous covid made no difference to whether they decided to take the vaccine or not.
 
  • Sad
Reactions: CFC

MsDiz

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Joined
Mar 31, 2020
Messages
5,099
Location
Ireland
This paper is interesting mainly because it is being spun to like crazy in the media.

People need to know where the original information is, go to the source and draw their own conclusions.
Make their own decisions. The people in this study did and that is completely right that they should do that.

The study revealed that doctors and nurses appear personally not very keen on getting the corona vaccine.

change hxxps to https
hxxps://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.11.21251548v2.full.pdf

I don't expect everyone to agree with the summary below. The media are spinning this as a BAME thing, but the evidence shows it is not simply a BAME thing, The difference in BAME makeup is not sufficient to explain the differences. Just keep an open mind.

It appears to be Doctors Nurses HCAs porters cleaners etc Frontline workers vs not front line management and administration.

TL;DR
In the NHS Trust examined take up varied by what people do in the Trust. The Trust was hit very hard several times last year by coronavirus and again in the winter surge. Vaccination rates peaked in the Trust over a month ago and have been dclining ever since. Those that chose not to take it have had plenty of opportunity to take it since and have also come under severe pressure to change their minds.

The media are spinning this as a BAME thing, but the difference in BAME proportion is not sufficient to explain the difference in take up. the split is significant and it is frontline vs support, frontline vs management

In this trust:
Frontline
57.4% of Doctors take up.
The other 43.6% of Doctors are either hard no or wait and see at this point
62.5% of Nurses and Health care assistants take up
37.5% either no or wait andsee at this point
60.7 Estates and facilities (includes cleaners porters etc) take up

Not Frontline
Healthcare Scientists , Path lab etc 72.8% take up
Admin, Managers and executives 73.2% take up


Administrators Managers and executives who have less risk are much more keen on the vaccine than the frontlie staff.
Whether staff had previously had a positive coronavirus test or had previous covid made no difference to whether they decided to take the vaccine or not.
I got the Pfizer vaccine and now in a trial to see what adding the Moderna one will produce. Have been living with my Covid positive brother since Wednesday and I’m still negative. We have been living together as normal, he’s not been isolated from me. He does have zero symptoms though.
 

novaveritas

Bluelighter
Joined
Jun 8, 2018
Messages
971
I got the Pfizer vaccine and now in a trial to see what adding the Moderna one will produce. Have been living with my Covid positive brother since Wednesday and I’m still negative. We have been living together as normal, he’s not been isolated from me. He does have zero symptoms though.
A lot of larger studies suggest household attack rate is 10-15% from symptomatic and 1% from asymptomatic case. There is increasing convergence towards these numbers as time goes on which suggests that it is probably right.
It gets more complex when you calculate what is the probability of someone with a positive PCR test being actually infectious, without knowing the Ct it is roughly 33% to 50% at the highest. Given overall coronavirus prevalence is waning then the chance of a PCR positive being infectious is very low indeed.
but lets go with PCR positive = infected and infectious and so your brother is infected and infectious the index case for the experiment.

Which gives you a no vaccine baseline, overall you would only expect one in 100 household contacts to be infected when the index case is asymptomatic. and one in 8 or one in 10 from where the index case is symptomatic. I haven't bothered to do the math exactly because it isn't neccessary to get a feel for where the approximate numbers are.

Without being vaccinated, you would have to repeat this exposure experiment almost 20 times to be get just 18% (1-0.99^20) chance of being infected by household contact with an asymptomatic index case, your brother. Your probability would be 82% of not being infected even with no vaccine. Doing the same experiment 100 times would only give you a 40% chance of being infected by your asymptomatic brother, who might object to being repeatedly infected, 100 times or more to do this experiment which would also take 2 or 3 years to do.

If the vaccine does exactly as the more optimistic and less solidly supported claims suggest and halves the rate of infection then the overall attack rate should be <0.5% from an asymptomatic index in households if everyone else is vaccinated, and it should be 5% to 7.5% from symptomatic index cases and in all situations the proportion of symptomatic infection should be 1/10th of all infections (which is the only relatively solid data point relating to the Pfizer vaccine in all of this)

Being vaccinated you would have to do this 20 times to get 9.4% chance of being infected if the vaccine is 50% effective at preventing all infections. So your brother might not appreciate this experiment at all.

Using yourself as a data point to determine a vaccine effect it is unfortunately beyond anecdotal. You can ascribe not being infected to being due to a vaccine effect but it is just as reasonable to say it just as due to transmission itself, in all this situation vaccine or not, is rather unlikely. It is worth thinking about what things mean in absolute terms.

What is also likely is contact and antigen exposure will boost the initial vaccine antibody titer and confound your data in the moderna booster trial, congrats you could be the high titer outlier that skews the data in the trial. The same effect was seen in the single dose trials, previously infected people had so much higher titers on single vaccine dose that it was sufficient to skew the single dose average antibody titer well above that of unvaccinated recovered people, but because it made the results look better than they were all the experts conveniently overlooked this.
science sucks sometimes.
 
Last edited:

MsDiz

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Joined
Mar 31, 2020
Messages
5,099
Location
Ireland
A lot of larger studies suggest household attack rate is 10-15% from symptomatic and 1% from asymptomatic case. There is increasing convergence towards these numbers as time goes on which suggests that it is probably right.
It gets more complex when you calculate what is the probability of someone with a positive PCR test being actually infectious, without knowing the Ct it is roughly 33% to 50% at the highest. Given overall coronavirus prevalence is waning then the chance of a PCR positive being infectious is very low indeed.
but lets go with PCR positive = infected and infectious and so your brother is infected and infectious the index case for the experiment.

Which gives you a no vaccine baseline, overall you would only expect one in 100 household contacts to be infected when the index case is asymptomatic. and one in 8 or one in 10 from where the index case is symptomatic. I haven't bothered to do the math exactly because it isn't neccessary to get a feel for where the approximate numbers are.

Without being vaccinated, you would have to repeat this exposure experiment almost 20 times to be get just 18% (1-0.99^20) chance of being infected by household contact with an asymptomatic index case, your brother. Your probability would be 82% of not being infected even with no vaccine. Doing the same experiment 100 times would only give you a 40% chance of being infected by your asymptomatic brother, who might object to being repeatedly infected, 100 times or more to do this experiment which would also take 2 or 3 years to do.

If the vaccine does exactly as the more optimistic and less solidly supported claims suggest and halves the rate of infection then the overall attack rate should be <0.5% from an asymptomatic index in households if everyone else is vaccinated, and it should be 5% to 7.5% from symptomatic index cases and in all situations the proportion of symptomatic infection should be 1/10th of all infections (which is the only relatively solid data point relating to the Pfizer vaccine in all of this)

Being vaccinated you would have to do this 20 times to get 9.4% chance of being infected if the vaccine is 50% effective at preventing all infections. So your brother might not appreciate this experiment at all.

Using yourself as a data point to determine a vaccine effect it is unfortunately beyond anecdotal. You can ascribe not being infected to being due to a vaccine effect but it is just as reasonable to say it just as due to transmission itself, in all this situation vaccine or not, is rather unlikely. It is worth thinking about what things mean in absolute terms.

What is also likely is contact and antigen exposure will boost the initial vaccine antibody titer and confound your data in the moderna booster trial, congrats you could be the high titer outlier that skews the data in the trial. The same effect was seen in the single dose trials, previously infected people had so much higher titers on single vaccine dose that it was sufficient to skew the single dose average antibody titer well above that of unvaccinated recovered people, but because it made the results look better than they were all the experts conveniently overlooked this.
science sucks sometimes.
Oh yeah look, I’ve read all info coming out now about the low rate of transmission in households and with him being asymptomatic I expected to have even less chance or contracting it even without the vaccine
It just so happened he was confirmed positive the day I got the moderna vaccine as part of the trial I’m in.

It’s also a study were 100 people who’ve had the Pfizer are getting the moderna (mostly sister lab workers but a few family members). It’s also a private lab and they are very close to your way of thinking tbh. It’s not my study or my labs and if you’re in the business yourself you’d understand sometimes it’s just polite to take part in this shit when you’ll be expecting some sort of help in future with one of your own studies.
 

CFC

Bluelight Crew
Joined
Mar 9, 2013
Messages
14,938
Location
The Shire
I also decided to get vaccinated in the end, not because I needed it or because it's likely to improve my immunity, but to ensure I get the vaccine passport, which y'all know is almost certainly coming in some form or other shortly.
 
Top