Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Who to talk to for ADD treatment?

Son of Samurai

Bluelighter
Hi, I was always a very disruptive learner at school. I have extreme difficulty concentrating on things for very long and so my studies suffer greatly. I am now 28 and have been out of school for 12 years, however I am about to comence full time study in a course that goes for 2 years. I really want to make a go of this however I am afraid that old habits die hard and that when I start this study I will be stuck in the same situation that I was in in my schooling days.

I have had many discussions with people and almost everyone agrees that I must have ADD to some degree or another. Having worked for 12 years in different jobs I never thought that it was going to be a problem, however looknig back on my work history it is obvious that it still does affect me and my working capcity. The only problem is that I don't know who I need to talk to to get something done about this before it affects my new studies. I went to the doctor a while ago and they sent me to a community centre but as I was working my time schedule didnt fit with theirs and I left it at that (this was about a year ago) and I dont really want to go back there as it didn't look too "proffesional" so I am unsure as to what therapy they were going to do (I have been scared emotionaly from when I was put into one of these types of centres and they tried "new agey" type therapy on me)

Anyways what do I do? Where do I go? I suspect a psychiatrist but do they charge a lot of money? I will not have very much money being a student but if it is whats needed I will go. Plz help.
I am in Geelong Victoria, If anyone knows of a good place to go in my area roughly or even in Melbourne to sort this out please let me know by PM or post it here.

Thankyou.

if you are student, why don't you see a dr. through your schools health services, its usually included in your tuition
in the US at least

ok cool thx hoptis, I read most of it and it basically says that one should see ones doctor and be refered by him to a psychiatrist becuase otherwise you wont get the medicare rebate. But I would still like to hear from anyone who has been treated for this condition by a receptive doctor or psych or whoever and has had positive results from the treatment. I really want to nip this in the bud (even though the bud is now 28 years old and hardly pristine) so yeah, anyone had a similar experience and knows of a good doc or psych to see?

Thx.

Just ask your gp, if you cant afford a PSychiatrist tell your doctor and he should be able to refer you to one that will bulk bill.

When I saw a psychiatrist he just bulk billed me so I didnt have to pay anything.

Well, i went to my GP and she sent me to a community health clinic and after a series of questions sent me to a psychiatrist, so hopefully all should be good after my apointment on monday. She said for sure this guy will prescribe me what I need.

That's good to hear and yeah, I hope you found a bulk billing psychiatrist because man it can get hefty if you're paying upfront.

That said, it can be a really good idea to get a second opinion (or even third) if you're uncomfortable with the psych, or his/her diagnosis in any way.

Something I've learned from recent experiences with psychs is that going in with your own diagnosis in mind can be a flawed approach. IMO only, better to explain your symptoms and let the doctor do his/her job without bias.