• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Random Which serial killers or true crimes intrigue you?

I am from Kansas so I'll have to say the BTK. He killed 11 people or so. He killed one woman then drove to a pay phone to call it in.

Lot of crazy bastards-Jack the Ripper,russian teacher Chekatillo,Jeffrey Damner,The suffocator from Boston,Charles Manson.....Micky & Malory Knox...;)..a lot of work for shrinks,profilers and mass media.Sick thing

Spree killers , especially teen ones.
Cult leaders , anti government groups, Ted kazinski
Those are all interesting and informative

But my favorite has got to be spouse murders , it's always some normal or affluent family with no history of violence that would rather murder there spouse rather then go through a divorce. Like a pastor that murdered his wife of 30 years so he could date a younger woman.

It's nuts.

According to Scientific American, there are between 25 and 50 serial killers who are active in the United States at any given time. Serial killers account for only about 150 murders in the U.S. per year. Serial killing is not a new phenomenon and has been around for centuries. The FBI defines a serial murder as 'the unlawful killing of two or more victims by the same offender(s), in separate events.'

Source

Wondering how many we pass daily unbeknownst...?

I'm both intrigued and baffled by cults in general and mass suicides in particular.
Heaven's Gate and Jonestown are a couple of the most well-known.

Cults are very interesting. They seem to have been a 60's to 90's things though you don't hear of them these days really

Cults are very interesting. They seem to have been a 60's to 90's things though you don't hear of them these days really
True.
It's nice to notice a good trend for a change.

Although we still have Scientology, Q-anon, and extreme political polarization, so destructive group-think is alive and well. I reckon some forms of that will always be around.

I find the Zodiac Killer fascinating. He was active in California in 1968 and 1969, but some evidence show he could have been active as early as 1963 and as late as 1974. During his reign he had 5 confirmed kills, and possibly as many as 28. He laid claim to killing 37. Though we now have DNA, computers and technology that wasn’t available in 1969, no viable suspect has emerged despite several pieces of correspondence which have been positively linked to Zodiac, as well as a finger print, and partial DNA profile. While he sent 4 cryptic cyphers only 2 have been solved some 54 years later.

Probably the sackler family, probably the biggest mass murderers in US modern history and yet they got away with it.

I never condone these psychos, but Charles Manson and his followers, Bonnie & Clyde, Lizzie Borden, hillside strangler to name a few. 🔪 🔪

I don't understand this fascination with serial killers. They're just horrible people that don't deserve the notoriety.

How about If I asked "who's your favourite rapist?"

I believe corporate malignant narcissists are far more destructive than the apparently only .07% of people who represent potential psychopaths who are not in jail (93% apparently are in jail).

That said, it does intrigue me that people can care so little about their own lives (and obviously others) as well as be so emotionally blunted to the point of preferring to murder people over having a stable life.

Lots of serial killers, which are arguably almost all psychopaths, started in their late 20s. I've heard that is when the brain is toward the end of the final development? Not sure. I don't trust the Internet.

Regardless, it's almost like, "welp, I tried. mom I'm still bored, careless and frustrated with the people I have to engage with. when they catch me, don't worry, I'll say you were a great mother".

So to answer the question, most a of them intrigue me.

I'm fascinated by the notion that perhaps some of these serial killers were MK Ultra types. Or the occult stuff, like the "Son of Sam" killer actually being part of some network connected to all kinds of weirdos like the Process Church and even the Manson Family. A dude called Maury Terry wrote a really good book about it. Also "The Family" by Ed Sanders which goes into the Manson family's links to all kinds of weirdness, especially Hollywood stuff. The American version had to have a chapter written about the Process Church taken out due to the "church" suing the author. But basically his book cuts through the "Helter Skelter" BS put forward by the prosecutor, Bugliosi or whatever his name was. That leads me to another book called "Chaos", again about Manson and the author, Tom O'niell, spent hours arguing with the actual prosecutor when writing it and it took him years. The prosecutor made his career on that case but even though this stuff verges into tin foil hat territory, the actual prosecution was a load of nonsense.

As for the tin foil hat thing, I went into a rabbit hole on this stuff a while back and there are a lot of shady connections and I don't think that people have the slightest clue when it comes to how murky aspects of the underworld are and how some serial killers might have had some dodgy links to other weirdo creep types.

Last edited:
The only serial killer I kinda "dig " is Pedrinho Matador, a fascinating mix between the Punisher, Dexter (in fact he has influenced the character) and , dunno, the Terminator. HE started his career by killing a guy that accused his father of stealing , then tracked down and killed the murders of his gf, he killed the majority of his victims while he was incarcerated and he died as a free man, there s no death penalty no life sentence here in Brazil so the guy was shot recently after having been released for good conduct ( he killed like a shitload of people while he was in jail still... I guess the authorities were using him to solve the overcrowding of Brazilian jails, that s probably what they meant by good behavior)

Last edited:
There is a book about a possible serial ax mass murderer, I forget the name of the book. But it is more an educated hypothesis about a bunch of horrific crimes that were linked by a normal person. The Book escapes me, and if anyone knows what I am talking about please let me know. The story links but can't really prove a bunch of old time heinous murders to one man, never caught. It is interesting because no one ever thought to connect these crimes, including the unsolved ax murder of about 8 people in one house, and many other heinous crimes. If anyone knows what I am writing about or the book, please let me know, thanks