Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

which is your favourite: Wes Anderson film?

pick one!

• Bottle Rocket

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Rushmore

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • The Royal Tenenbaums

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • The Darjeeling Limited

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Moonrise Kingdom

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
^do you like The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou? his films veered off since losing his original cowriter. which was fine by me. because wes anderson's filmography often edges on indistinguishable mush. anything to throw a wrench in that. but he jumped into another rut. needs another major change.

would be real interesting if he wrote another with owen.

My friend used to rave about that film, but I never got into it after 2 viewings.

Can someone explain to me what was so great about The Grand Budapest Hotel?

I was disappointed with it as I was with Moonrise Kingdom. I think I was expecting too much.

The thing about Wes films for me is that it's really hard to put my finger on the appeal. They tend to have quirk in all the right places, and Grand Budapest was no exception. I wasn't a fan of Moonrise Kingdom either though, the story just wasn't there for me.

I watched Royal yesterday and although it was another superb Wes film it was too slow-paced. Moonrise Kingdom I saw a few years ago and really need to see again but remember enjoying it immensely. Budapest was visually stunning. dreamlike precision. Bottle rocket was quite unpredictable. Now, as far as I can gather, Anderson films focus a lot on loyalty between friends and how strong bonds can lead people to embark on the craziest adventures. Love does that too and there's no shortage of magnetic, mysterious beauties in Anderson's films. I haven't seen Dahjeeling yet but looking forward to it. Rushmore was enjoyable but I'm sticking with Moonrise right now.

^
In addition to those family bonds, there are often storylines dealing with some sort of paternal/father issues. I don't know much about Wes Anderson, but ever since I saw The Royal Tenenbaum's I've been curious about his life growing up, since that was such a uniquely dysfunctional family. I imagine he must have had an interesting family life growing up. I've been especially curious about what type of relationship he had with his father since the father characters tend to be very flawed, but still loving and likeable. Or there will be characters with a father and child type relationship although they are not actually related. This was a part of his last two films Moonrise and Grand Budapest. In Moonrise it was with Sam the younger boy (was he an orphan? can't remember) with his scout leaders Edward Norton and Bruce Willis. In Grand Budapest Hotel it was with Zero and Ralph Fiennes. This has shown up in previous movies as well.

I saw Grand Budapest Hotel on a tiny ass plane screen drunk on my way to France. It was great. They have one of those things in France. That goes up the hill to the hotel? It goes up to the Sacré-Cœur.

Can someone explain to me what was so great about The Grand Budapest Hotel?

I was disappointed with it as I was with Moonrise Kingdom. I think I was expecting too much.

Waited a few weeks and gave it a second watch. Definitely found it much more enjoyable on the second watch. The same thing happened when I first watched Royal Tenenbaums. His movies generally seem to require multiple viewings to fully enjoy them.

The Grand Budapest Hotel was mediocre and pretentious. Wes Anderson has this amazing artistic "stamp", like Tim Burton. But he hasn't got anything else. I'm getting really tired of the same shtick. Moonrise Kingdom was downright awful. As Anderson's career ages, like Burton (and Besson and others), his films are becoming more stamp and less substance. Personally, I'd rather flip the ratio and watch a raw film with real emotion.

Owen Wilson's character, in the Royal Tenenbaums, said something like: "We all know that General Custer died during the battle of Little Big Horn. What this film presupposes is: maybe he didn't?" Ironically, Anderson has become that character. What initially passed itself off as self-satire, has become shtick: Wes is extremely talented at making films appear to be more than they are, while simultaneously mocking pretentiousness in art. Problem is, that point can only be made once or twice before it falls apart. As time goes on it's becoming painfully obvious that the only real talent Mr. Anderson has is the precise thing he managed to build a career on by (playfully) ridiculing.

Anderson is not a great director. Neither is Tim Burton. They are very stylish directors, but it pretty much ends there.

Anderson's characters are often flat, for comedic effect. And, since the stamp to substance ratio continues to rise, they are becoming flatter and flatter. The characters in Moonrise Kingdom were like fucking robots. What children (or adults) speak like that? It's quirky, sure. But you can't build a respectable career on being quirky, can you?

The Grand Budapest Hotel comes across desperate.

It wants so badly to be a masterpiece.

Perhaps if Anderson expended more of his energy on building realistic, multi-dimensional and empathetic characters... if he bothered to write stories that were compelling without the quirks... if he focused a little less on Art Direction, editing and cinematography...

Maybe then he'd make a masterpiece.

But I don't think that's ever going to happen.

Favourite Anderson film (by far): Rushmore.

had to go with rushmore. fucking loved that movie. life aquatic would be.second. tough choice really. moonrise was.a.distant third

Darjeeling is on HBOGo. It's definitely definitely my favorite. I see my sisters and I in those brothers. This is the closest affection I'll get to India. Christ I love this movie. I'm the oldest but I'm Peter in this situation. I went as Sweet Lime to a Wes Anderson themed party. The only other Darjeeling character there was the Mom. Man I fucking love this movie!!!!!

Rushmore. Darjeeling is great too but it has been years since I last watched it. Never did get a chance to see Life Aquatic or Royal Tenenbaums but they are on my list of movies to watch ASAP.

I watched Tenenbaums. It was very interesting, strange though. Different in good way..