• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

When is poor spelling/grammar ok? Discuss literacy...

Munchee

Bluelighter
When is poor spelling and grammar ok?

The inspiration for this thread came from one of the crappy current affairs programs on TV (or it might have been one of the good ones, I cannot remember), which basically pointed out the low level of english skills of people graduating from school. Another source of inspiration was this article , which is related to the poor mathematical skills, so I guess it's of a similar trend but unrelated.

I personally wish people would use correct spelling, grammar and punctuation when using the internet and sms because I feel that this is contributing to the decay of the english language and the standard of english skills that people feel they should have. I see so many people say "this is just the internet, who cares" and then perhaps they wonder why they also have trouble in other everyday life applications. I also wish people would be more mindful of this when using this particular board because we're trying to promote ourselves as responsible and intelligent drug users.

So, is this a topic we'd like to discuss?

*note: I searched and couldn't find another thread, although I think something similar has existed, which may have been

this .

I dont really think that grammer and spelling were all that important really.

Slong as the person or persons on the receiving end can understand then shirley thats all what counts.

'Sup!

I think it's okay when it's clearly ironic.

Like whenya, like, kinda making fun dawg, y'know?

.... But you've got to have a history of good grammar and spelling for it to actually be funny ;)

Srsly.

i use irc a fair bit and it's understood withing the channel that my mates and i inhabit that unless someone says you can't understand something you can write as badly as you want.

i hear the something awful forums are pretty nasty for grammer correction.

it does give me the shits people who write with excessive use of lol or spell like ur, wiv, skool, or substitute numbers for letters or add z to the end of words... but that's just me, i use semi colons in my sms's.

i think it's a great point that it's decaying peoples ability to spell (says me... i can't spell for the life of me) its the same as spell check on word - i think that's why i'm so bad at spelling.

Poor spelling is also okay: when drunk.

We've all done it now and then. ;)

Apart from that, I completely agree with you Munchee. It's a bad look and a bad trend and I see it much more in younger users here on bluelight which leads me to believe maybe it is an SMS-and-internet phenomenon.

I don't mind slang and casual 'chat' language... it's kinda cute when deliberate. But when I see posts full of sloppy spelling which isn't on purpose... yeah it's sad. Not to the point of me losing any sleep over it, but yes it does affect my perception of that person.

ps. I SMS like I write here too.... it takes a while :D

ebonics is particularly hard to understand when written in a post...8)

As long someone doesnt deliberately butcher the lanuage; i dont really care.

Unless i want to be a semantic/pedantic arsehole ;)

I wonder how long you spent trying to ensure your post had no colloquialisms in it.

;)

I agree with all thats been said.

Although what really pisses me off, is when someone corrects one word in a post, even though it's quite obvious what the word is meant to say.

Like that new report last week says:
Texting which has evolved as the simplest and most popular form of communication has its flip side too, as it lowers a person's IQ by more than twice as much as smoking marijuana, according to a new study.
Here's the article.
I knew I was right; smoking myself retarded every night...=D

I blame lack of spelling, on the exposure some kids had to reading. I read quite a bit, so was constantly learning. Maybe other kids who chose other means of entertainment developed other skills?

Like ambidextrious thumbs ;)

I dont get it.

SLM, whats the diff between ur and your???

And there are a thousand other examples such as lol etc.

so long as the intended reader understands then isnt that all that matters?

I have no doubt that the word ur for example will be a part of the official dictionaries in the not to distant future.........along with many others and also wouldnt be surprised to see the word your phased out.

Its only now that people are getting usede to this new language but in say 100 years time, it will be the norm.

Language always has and always will continue to evolve.

^^ or driving while texting....now there's a skill..... :|

edit: meant for Gilly

MazDan said:
Its only now that people are getting usede to this new language but in say 100 years time, it will be the norm.

What are you? american??

But MazDan, is ur an abbreviation of u r (as far as abbreviating goes how hard is it to hit the spacebar)? Because if it is an abbreviation of u r, then it would be you're. But if it's an abbreviation of your then I guess it isn't that hard to understand. But is it? I don't see any clear definition of it.

It scares me how many people don't seem to understand the difference between you're and your. Then again, they seem to be the same people who don't understand the difference between then and than.

I think we should ban run-on sentences.

And if you're using an abbreviation, such as S.M.S., you should capitalise the letters and put a period- a "dot point" in front of each letter.

Not that I care, particularly- but if you're going to pick on other people's spelling and grammar, you'd better have your own taken care of.

Yeah.

I don't really care as long as someone is making a reasonable effort and it's understandable.

I didnt know their was a difference between your and you're.
Why would it scare you???......... Thats like someone from England whinging about our accent........what difference does it make slong as you can understand what it is Im sayin?

In relation to the ur.........If you have a look u will see I was referring to your.

Yes I agree that when u and r are included in the dictionary that they should only be used together like this "u'r" or as individual words when used to mean "you are".

So out in real world applications, if you picked up the safety manual for a machine and it was full of spelling mistakes, poor punctuation and the grammar was just readable, then that would be fine? I dunno, for me it's hard to draw a line and a very scary reality is that you can go out and find safety manuals or policy manuals that are littered with mistakes.

So are we simply saying that it should be ok on internet forums, chat programs and text messaging?

No it should be ok everywhere........once it becomes accepted language...........generally officially accepted language is once it hits the dictionary but unofficially accepted lanmguage happens long before then.

For example the word software........well its now officially a word but was in general unofficial acceptable use for years before then.

Once again it comes down to the rider I put on my posts above..............Provided it is understood by the person or persons that it was intended to be read by.

Hence if a mistake in a safety manual is going to cause a misunderstanding then yes its a problem..........exactly the same as if a mistake here could lead to a misunderstanding..................I dont differentiate between the two.

its all about context.
I dont put the effort into my grammar on here, because im lazy.
I dont care if i read poor grammar, so long as i can understand it. There's all sorts of people on this board, some of whom, suck at english.
So I dont see any point in worrying about it.

The only poster I've really struggled to read is Lacey K. Although now I'm used to reading her style of writing and thats who she is.
No doubt, there's dyslexics on board here also.
So none of it really bothers me at all, so long as I understand what the person is trying to say!