Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

When are you considered an alcoholic?

Strapped

Bluelighter
In recent times I have been depending on alcohol to help me deal with anxiety and panic attacks.

On an average day I would drink around a dozen beers and maybe a shot or two of vodka.

And then once a week I will go out on the town and really binge - I will spend like over $200 in one night just skulling rum and coke and then when I get sick of that, vodka and orange. I am completely fucked the next day and I am way more suseptible to panic attacks when I am hung over and have not eaten because I am too sick. I am not sure why I keep doing this but you got to get out sometime right?

Do you think this amount qualifies me as an alcoholic and how do you think it is affecting my health?

I would be lost without beer at the moment. I don't necessarially like drinking it but a few beers is a small price to pay to feel normal again.

i was thinking about this too.

recently i've been abusing alcohol more than ever, and i nearly got it into my head that i wouldn't be able to sleep at night without a drink, but luckily i've taken a few weeks off and been fine.

i wonder where heavy drinking becomes actual alcoholism.

I'd say your on your way to alcoholism, or at least a heavy drinker. If you can't stop at one or two drinks a doctor will say your have alcoholism (which is a disease apparently!), it might be a disease in the way it's been found to be gene related. But you should probably get off the piss, as it does release tension and anxiety for an hour or 2 but the after effects aren't worth it. Same with any GABA-like drug, once you've been abusing it, and come off it, the rebound anxiety kicks in. Try supplements, worth a shit, check PM.

Just with stuff like Phenibut if you want it cheap off **** etc you're gonna have to sit there capping a load of it, and you'll probably want to buy some cheap scales off ebay to make it easier. A really stuffed normal sized cap is about 800-900mg, if u pack both bottom and top in.

[EDIT: No sources. hoptis]

Edit: PM me for my email address, I want to help people get off drugs and alcohol and Phenibut and supplements are a good way, if 5-HTP sources (which isnt even proven to help) are allowed then I am allowed to help people in a harm reduction manner. Or just search any other forum for Piracetam or Phenibut and you will find the source there, its b***********n**m

Last edited:
Alcoholism isn't a joke. I know a family, the mother has serious liver, kidney and stomach/bowel problems and is very skinny as because she doesnt eat or drink water, only thing that goes in her mouth is alcohol, any kind. She was gioven a lot of money when she was younger because of her fathers death I believe and still has a lot as he was a wealthy man, and she became an every day drinker, she can't be more than say 45? And she's just about dead. Seems very strange, can just sit there sometimes for long periods of time staring at her and her children have no respect for her. She doesnt need to work, she just drinks.. Even after several rehabs, she comes out and drinks again. Its very sad seeing as the chilkdren are quite young and still in primary or maybe one in the first year of highschool. The father works.

Strapped said:
In recent times I have been depending on alcohol to help me deal with anxiety and panic attacks.

On an average day I would drink around a dozen beers and maybe a shot or two of vodka.

And then once a week I will go out on the town and really binge - I will spend like over $200 in one night just skulling rum and coke and then when I get sick of that, vodka and orange. I am completely fucked the next day and I am way more suseptible to panic attacks when I am hung over and have not eaten because I am too sick. I am not sure why I keep doing this but you got to get out sometime right?

Do you think this amount qualifies me as an alcoholic and how do you think it is affecting my health?

I would be lost without beer at the moment. I don't necessarially like drinking it but a few beers is a small price to pay to feel normal again.

Yeah was thinking about the panic attack thing...I as well when I have a big night of drinking feel almost like I am coming down the next day. I feel anxious, nervous, worried about something, but can never put my finger on what. Then i I always get the 'what stupid things did i say or do to embarass myself phase' and get even more depressed about that. I've been turning to alcohol a lot lately as a social thing...going out on wkday evenings with mates for a few drinks and then a nice dinner and more wine and merriment etc you know how it goes. But lately after getting sick of feeling like crap the next day I've tried to just stop at the tipsy stage which i think is much more enjoyable lol. Also trying to give up for health reasons..as a girl, alcohol can also add kilos! :( which i've found out unfornately.

but yeah to answer your original question... yeah there is a fine line between alcoholism and just drinking for fun. Maybe I guess there are different degrees of alcoholism and I guess binge drinking regularly as many of us seem to do is also a form of mild alcoholism by definition??

also went through a bad phase of drinking a lot after a night having a pill or two. Figured the comedown would be much better...it is if you have a couple of beers but not like shots of vodka lol ewwwww! I think i've also tried to curtail my drinking...i think everyone has vice unfornately.

oh yeah and i dont necessarily like the taste of alcohol either which makes it even more strange that i drink lol

Speaking from personal experience - 12 beers a day, probably time to do something about it...

12 beers plus a shot or two is a monumental stress on your liver, on a daily basis. That's gotta get expensive too....

I'd really advise cutting back - your liver, your kidneys, and your beergut will thank you for it.

I only drink friday - sunday, but cannot for the life of me stop after a few drinks. once i have had one i want to be boozed (6 - 8 beers at the very least)

My dad side of the family were all big drinkers being irish and all. So maybe i have alcoholism. Not that it really phases me :)

choppedmess said:
I only drink friday - sunday, but cannot for the life of me stop after a few drinks. once i have had one i want to be boozed (6 - 8 beers at the very least)

My dad side of the family were all big drinkers being irish and all. So maybe i have alcoholism. Not that it really phases me :)
You might have the alcoholism gene but the way you drink at the moment definately isn't alcoholism.

My opinion is that where heavy drinking ends and alcoholism starts is when it becomes a problem in your everyday life. Be it with relationships, your career, your mental health, physical health, financial situation etc etc.

+12 beers every day is WAY too much, regardless of what aspect we're considering.
The long-term physical effect on the body is what I'd be mainly concerned about, e.g. liver, heart etc.
If you need alcohol to sleep/kwell your panic attacks etc, maybe consult a doctor about other methods of doing so.

At the moment I am drinking every day and trying hard to cut down. I know I have alcoholism in my genes so I'm very aware of it, but it's still hard to fight it.
I've gone from 6 beers, a bottle of red wine, +/- gin and tonics, every day, to maybe 1 beer and 1 glass of red, or just 2 glasses of red. It has been really hard, and I sometime slip and end up having a whole bottle of wine and more beers. I've gone through the whole sleeplessness thing too. But I generally feel SOOO much better for it.

lastregrets said:
Drinking is a problem..
when you think it's a problem.
Hmmm yes sometimes, but I can imagine there would be quite a few cases of alcoholism where this wouldn't apply.

stop b4 its 2 late... things have a way of getting out of control quickly. be careful and good luck. and YES U HAVE A PROBLEM!

when you feel sick, so you have a drink and you actuly feel better.
like any addiction its good before anything during anything and after anything.
even if you think about it alot your addicted to it atleast try to only think about it and not consume it.

lastregrets said:
Drinking is a problem..
when you think it's a problem.

Plenty of alcoholics don't realise the full impact of their drinking upon themselves and those around them. Denial can be a major facet of alcoholism.

Strapped: from what you've said, particularly the fact that you have some emotional concerns at the moment, I'd suggest that the level of your drinking is quite problematic. Like any substance, prescribed or self-medicated, using alcohol in this situation is only ever going to be a bandaid for the issues you are experiencing. By the sounds of it, your current patterns are also impacting on diet and sleep. This in combination with the alcohol consumption will really start to negatively impact your health over time. I'd strongly encourage you to seek some professional help in managing your anxiety and panic attacks and attempting to cut down/cease drinking at this time.

Good luck :)

Strapped, im in a similar situation I come from a family of heavy drinkers so I was sought of born into it. Ive been on average 10 beers a night for the last six or so years but recently has risen a bit higher than that. Ive recently started to notice it slowing me down mentally which is what has scared me but also I feel physicaly unhealthy too so last week I went without and it actually wasnt as bad as I thought. The main problem is that I cant bloody sleep when before I just used grog to knock me out so after three sleepless nights I gave up and got blind pissed. Its bloody hard to go without after so long, I may have to substitute it for somthing else not as bad for the mind and body.

Strapped, I'd suggest getting some professional advice on what best to do for yourself. I don't know the best places to refer you - will depend on your location - but if you are in Australia, check out www.counsellingonline.com.au - anonymous online counselling where they can give you details for referral.

If you want to do a test online, an international validated test called the AUDIT (alcohol use disorders identification test) is available from here: http://www.rochester.edu/UCC/online/audit.html

Good luck!

Don't see why my posts are being unnapproved when i'm trying to help someone get off a dangerous, addicxtive substance. I'll say it again. Phenibut is a good way to stop cravings and ween yourself off alcohol, or at least managed on alcohol-free days, It helps with anxiety and sleep. Google Phenibut. Benzos may help too but are prone to addiction and even worse w/d's. Phenibut doesn't seem to be very addictive, and it doesn't get you high.

Edit: My post saying PM me was for information about Phenibut, since this thread isn't dedicated to it.

Last edited:
For those of you who have mentioned sleeplessness:
For something all natural, try a warm bath and a big mug of Chamomile Tea before bed.
Sounds wanky but it really does help me when I'm trying to go a few days without alcohol.