Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Army of Thieves (2021)

Anthony Michael Hall reprises his role as Ludwig Dieter for this prequel to Army of the Dead. He does a very convincing German accent. Unfortunately, the film mostly consists of typical heist fare. None of the characters stand out except for the protagonist. The plot is trite, but I like Dieter enough to watch till the credits.

Twin Peaks was excellent but it turns out I didn't understand shit and missed a lot. Didn't help that Fire Walk With Me was years ago.
I'm gonna have to give everything a rewatch at some point.
10/10
I just finished my third viewing last night; I still feel there are pieces left out of the jigsaw puzzle so-to-speak. I definitely feel like I 'get' it though.

It's very important to pay attention in Fire Walk with Me and the first two episodes of the Return if you want any chance of understanding the last two episodes lol. This show was built for reanalysis.

The French Dispatch (2021)

As others have said, this was probably the most 'Wes Anderson' type film I've ever seen, for lack of a better term. Suffice to say it was quirky, humorous, filled with the best of the best actors, and very entertaining. If you enjoy Anderson's prior works, you're bound to enjoy this one. It kinda petered out towards the end after such a strong start, but perhaps I just needed to pee lol.

7.5/10

Yo, legit -- Breakdown is the best Kurt Russell film I've seen in awhile.

Do not tag me using the '@' functionality, my brethren.

Albeit, the last act was a bit too 'Michael Bay' ...ish.

Still: 4.4/5

Most recently, I watched a bad copy of Venom: Let There Be Carnage that was clearly filmed from a cinema seat. As far as bad copies go, it was pretty good... but that is worse. It's so close to a good copy that your mind thinks you are watching the actual film. I need to stop watching this pirate shit.

One of the benefits of COVID is: we get HD copies of cinema movies in like 2 weeks now because they stream them soon after release and there are a hundred million people with half-decent capture cards.

Anyway, back to the movie.

It really annoys me when they say the title in the movie.

It should have been called Venom 2. Whenever they say the title, I cringe hard.

The movie was okay. It was a lot like The Suicide Squad. Both of them are completely insane and that makes them different from Marvel films which are (for the most part) very safe big budget Hollywood ventures... but are they actually better than Marvel flicks?

Carnage is directed by Andy Serkis (most famous for playing Gollum in LOTR) which makes sense because the whole film is this split-personality thing between Eddie and Venom.

The first Venom was weird.

Carnage is batshit.

I'm a big Woody Harrelson fan. He does a wonderful villain. Serkis isn't as talented as Stone, but seeing Woody as a villain gave me nostalgic goosebumps thinking about Mickey Knox.

Old

Classic Shyamalan. There's something about him I love. Even when the film is awful, I'm still engaged. Nobody else is still making these old school flicks.

Old isn't his best work, but - like all his films - it is memorable.

The Visit was better.

Directly after watching Old, I watched Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It.

Totally utterly forgettable. It is a true story about a murderer who pleaded not guilty for reasons of demonic possession.

I don't believe in demons; this guy just murdered someone.

I loved the new Dune. Haven't seen the old one but I am interested in reading the book now!

I know there is a ton of stuff to read in that universe. Would anyone like to recommend which ones are necessary and what order to read them in?
As I remember there is two books of Dune

Isn't there like six written by Frank and then a bunch of other books?

Frank - (Dune / Messiah / Children / God Emperor / Heretics / Chapterhouse)

Isn't there like six written by Frank and then a bunch of other books?

Frank - (Dune / Messiah / Children / God Emperor / Heretics / Chapterhouse)
Personally know only about Dune.Is possible that Frank Herbert wrote anothers.

Yeah pretty sure he wrote a bunch of books over a couple of decades. I read at least two of the Dune novels at some point. That time in my life is very hazy. Can't say I liked them very much, but that sort of thing (sprawling space opera) has never been my cup of tea.

Chuck (Palahniuk) >>>> Frank

Yeah pretty sure he wrote a bunch of books over a couple of decades. I read at least two of the Dune novels at some point. That time in my life is very hazy. Can't say I liked them very much, but that sort of thing (sprawling space opera) has never been my cup of tea.

Years ago had read Dune.At this time likes me.Also also some kinda fan of sci-fi.Sheckley,Bradbury,Strugatski brothers these were one of my favourites

The first book is split into 'two' books. The first half of the book occurs like a decade before the second half. Then Herbert also wrote five more novels after the first. His son also wrote a few more but they aren't as highly regarded IIRC.

Upon further reflection and a second viewing, I really, really enjoyed the newest Dune adaptation. The little things that were changed were barely noticeable; the soundtrack was stellar; cinematography was stellar; casting and acting was stellar; costumes were stellar. I mean it was simply the best sci-fi in several years, if not a decade.

Read the book first though if you really wana enjoy it. My wife enjoyed Part One so much that she dug out my old copy of the first book and is currently reading it.

This is old monster gold if you ask me. Good movie for viewing on say mushrooms in a dark room. Or whatever you watch movies on funny I say that but cannot do anything I intend to on psychedelics these days.

The War of the Gargantuas (1966)
Original title: Furankenshutain no kaijû: Sanda tai Gaira

Apparently Brad Pitt said at the 2012 Academy Awards this was the first film he ever saw if you needed to know no but trivia I just stumbled upon finding these lines:

Akemi Togawa: They don't seem to be afraid of Gaira.

Dr. Paul Stewart: Ah, they're young; young people don't have too much fear... It's strange, you know. Whenever there's a strong evil force around, youth seems to blossom. Like when the Nazi's captured Paris. All of the night clubs and theaters were filled with young people.

Akemi Togawa: Aren't we guilty of doing the same thing?

Dr. Paul Stewart: I don't feel guilt; I don't think they do either...

Saints and Soilders (2003) WW2 Based Movie. It was free to watch on YouTube so I gave it a go. I honestly thought it was just going to be a low budget WW2 movie, but it turned out to have a great story and great fight scenes. I recommend it to anyone who loves WW2 movies.

This is old monster gold if you ask me. Good movie for viewing on say mushrooms in a dark room. Or whatever you watch movies on funny I say that but cannot do anything I intend to on psychedelics these days.

The War of the Gargantuas (1966)
Original title: Furankenshutain no kaijû: Sanda tai Gaira

Apparently Brad Pitt said at the 2012 Academy Awards this was the first film he ever saw if you needed to know no but trivia I just stumbled upon finding these lines:

Akemi Togawa: They don't seem to be afraid of Gaira.

Dr. Paul Stewart: Ah, they're young; young people don't have too much fear... It's strange, you know. Whenever there's a strong evil force around, youth seems to blossom. Like when the Nazi's captured Paris. All of the night clubs and theaters were filled with young people.

Akemi Togawa: Aren't we guilty of doing the same thing?

Dr. Paul Stewart: I don't feel guilt; I don't think they do either...
Difficult to find any new movie that can hold my attention.Almost all movies of Kim Kee Duk are genial(especially Moebius),Chen Wuk Park-those koreans are mad."I saw the devil",Gaspar Noe,Fatih Akim,Oliver Stone,Milosh Forman,Kopola,Konchalowski,Almodovar.....a lot of great artist indeed...Those spanish-"The platform" remember likes me a lot.From serials-"Black mirror" ofcourse,first seasons of "Westworld".......So much great movies.So much is done,but i believe that human imagination got no limits....I like good movies.Always waits about something new and scattering.....

Fear and Loathing in Aspen (2021)

Based on a true story, this film attempts to recreate the events surrounding Hunter's campaign for sheriff of some small town out in the middle of nowhere. The guy who plays Hunter does a good job. It's a lower key, less psychedelic Hunter. We don't see him tripping balls and freaking out every three minutes. This actor, whoever he is, couldn't have done Depp's Hunter and Depp couldn't have done his.

Cheryl Hines - Cheryl David from Curb Your Enthusiasm - plays Hunter's conservative counterpart. I don't know who's dick she sucked to become a professional actor. Probably Larry. What I do know is: she couldn't act her way out of a paper cum dumpster.

The film reminds me of the college genre in America. Films like Animal House or Revenge of the Nerds... Sometimes they cut away to a nice montage with some narration from Hunter's writing and I feel it, but then it just descends back into mediocre dramatization. Hunter versus the machine. Blah, blah, blah.

I don't like Hunter that much. I read Vegas and Campaign Trail and Lono. I appreciate his uniqueness, but I disagree with his politics. I'm tired of being preached at by films and it's sad to see Hunter in that light. I'm not a huge fan. I have gravitated away from that mentality, but I respect him as an artist.

This film isn't worthy of Hunter.

I stopped it half way through.

Where the Buffalo Roam (with Bill Murray playing Hunter) is a much better film and that is really saying something.

If this was a student film, I'd give it a decent grade... but it's not.

2/10

Plankface, erm umm well, thought many things, but mostly i was just blown away, i thought it was going to be run of the mill horror flick, but far from it, im going to go sit on the shower floor and cry now

Status
Not open for further replies.