Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of days ago I rewatched Con Air (1997) for the first time since it originally came out. I only remembered the basic plot as well as the wailing guitar soundtrack, but man, what a goofy movie. They sure don't make them like that anymore. Nic Cage's Southern accent is something to behold. Hilarious premise, lots of great gags (Colm Meaney's fancy car getting dragged into the air, John Malkovich's Looney Tunes-ass demise), unbelievably stacked cast, loads of stupid fun.

Saw Jungle Cruise at the Drive-In last night. First time I've been to a drive-in movie with a 3 year old crawling all over me. But, it was nice to get out of the house after the latest lockdown bullshit.

The movie was missing something, like a lot of modern films... but it was more successful than a lot of blockbuster films I've seen recently.

I knew what I was going in for. I wanted something mindless.

As a kid, I frequented Disneyland theme parks all over the world on a regular basis. Before Pirates of the Caribbean came out, most Australians didn't recognize the title... but I did.

I've been on the Jungle Cruise ride many times.

There have been some really clever cinematic adaptations (of seemingly impossible source material). The Lego Movie springs to mind.

Jungle Cruise is not particularly clever, but it does manage to cleverly incorporate a nod to the ride's animatronic origins.

The two lead actors are good. I also liked Jack Whitehall as the (first openly) gay character (in a live action Disney film) McGregor.

Unfortunately, the plot gets too complicated for it's own good.

This should have been a much simpler film.

Why does every film have to be two hours now?

It's like the studios saw the success of Lord of the Rings and totally failed to realize that some stories (not all) need more time.

This was nostalgic for me and that blurs good/bad, so it's hard to say what I think of this film.

6/10

Irrational Man (2015)

Another quirky Woody Allen flick. This one started off how the majority of his recent flicks do, and I could see where the plot was going... or so I thought lol. Turned out I was wrong, and while the typical Woody Allen tropes played out (love triangles, adultery, nihilism) the ending/second half took on a completely different direction.

Not my favorite of his films but well done, better than many of his more recent flicks. Emma Stone is a fox and Joaquin Phoenix is fantastic once again as a bit of a deranged man.

7/10

Starting to get annoyed with Allen's seeming ephebophilia though... something I've noticed throughout the vast majority of his films now is a consistent love interest between an older man and a barely-of-age girl. While I can identify with fetishizing youthfulness, it feels a lot like seeing feet in Tarrantino films now... like we get it, y'all like feet and teenage girls... stop shoving it in my face!

The Green Night.. scary figurative dramatic representation of our modern dilemma. Was not what I was expecting. Hopefully we haven’t already made the fools cut.

Mighty Joe Young

My God this film is a pile of shit. The weirdly erotic scenes with a young Charlize Theron rubbing herself on a giant ape have not aged well.

Worst King Kong ever.

The Father (2020)

This is a perfect film. The subject matter is close to my heart. It made me cry. It is Hopkin's best performance. He deserved the Oscar.

10/10 (I'm not rounding up from 9.9)

A couple of days ago I rewatched Con Air (1997) for the first time since it originally came out. I only remembered the basic plot as well as the wailing guitar soundtrack, but man, what a goofy movie. They sure don't make them like that anymore. Nic Cage's Southern accent is something to behold. Hilarious premise, lots of great gags (Colm Meaney's fancy car getting dragged into the air, John Malkovich's Looney Tunes-ass demise), unbelievably stacked cast, loads of stupid fun.

Con Air is a classic! Love me some dumb 90s Cage, like that, Face/Off, the Rock etc 😍

"Nothing makes me gladder than when the pilot lost his bladder on the airplane" Syrus the Virus

I loved John Malkovich in Con Air

Face/Off is one of my favs too.

Greenmile is prolly my all time favorite....close tie would be Shawshank Redemption

And basically any movie with Al Pacino
Havent really watched a good movie in a long long time. Shits just gotten too real.

Greenmile is prolly my all time favorite....close tie would be Shawshank Redemption
Might I ask why? I've noticed on imdb that these two films are in the top 25 or so (I think Shawshank is #1?) and while I haven't seen The Green Mile, I have seen Shawshank and, well... it wasn't THAT interesting. It was a good watch once, I never feel like watching it again. To me that knocks a film far down the list; if it ain't rewatchable, what's the point? It's a linear plot with an uncomplicated ending... so what's there to revisit?

Legit question. I want to understand.

Watched Tales from Earthsea yesterday; never read the book it was adapted from but this was likely the most confusing/uninteresting Ghibli film I ever saw. Goro Miyazaki really disappointed with this one. Like Sofia Coppola he just can't live up to his father's image.

5/10

The Ice Storm (1997)

Man, I love this one. I rewatched it for the third or fourth time. It has so much talent in it. And quite alot of talent when they were younger and more obscure ie Toby Mcquire (before spiderman), Elijah Wood (before frodo in Lord of the Rings) and Christina Ricci (right after Casper). This 100 percent drama has a few chuckles in it, but mostly you are simply moved to feel melancholy or tears for the characters and and all their flaws. Pretty much everyone is searching for sexual satisfaction in this early 70s new england drama. It is interesting to see a film that was made over 20 years ago, but it takes place about 40 years ago.

Speaking of early talent, like a 1978 Jeff Goldblum in Invasion of the Body Snatchers

2 years since last time been in the cinemas. Saw The Suicide Squad. Definitely worth the long wait. Basically cool everything :D

OSS 117 : Le Caire Nid d'Espions
If you like absurd and dark humor you'd like it, there's Rio Ne Répond Plus which was shot a few years after the prior one, now there's Alerte Rouge En Afrique Noire taht's about to get out, by differents directors and writters, so i'm a kind of a sceptic, but i'll check it....

Status
Not open for further replies.