Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to watch Godzilla vs Kong and made it about 10/15 minutes in before I turned it off. What an absolute pile of shit. The plot is unbearably stupid. This is one of those films that even the actors know it sucks so bad that they can't bring themselves to deliver their lines with any conviction.

It's astonishingly bad. The worst film I've seen for years.

This is coming from somebody who loves monster films. I liked Godzilla (2014) and Kong: Skull Island. Loved Pacific Rim... but this film is dogshit.

@TheLoveBandit

What are you fucking crazy? ;)
I don't like even the 'better' monster flicks like Pacific Rim. Then again, I have blockbuster bias. Haven't seen too many of them to really pass judgement so I'll just step out now :rolleyes:

TheLoveBandit said:
In my 50-ish years, I think I've stopped only 1-2 films short. The pain and suffering makes me know I'm alive, that I can appreciate when it is done.

Haha. You're an odd cookie. Sometimes I'll sit through a bad movie if it's so bad it's funny, but this one was just painful for me and I'm not a glutton for punishment like you. :)

I also haven't been in a theater in 18mo, and I used to go frequently. But I liked it enough I'd watch again. In a theater.

Were you super high when you watched it or something?

I think I've only walked out of two movies in the cinema:

1) Avatar 3D. I tried 3D once and it instantly gave me a headache. Never again. My eyesight is too fucked for 3D. I saw it later in 2D and thought it was mediocre but definitely watchable.

2) The Passion of the Christ. I walked out when they were torturing Jesus. Apparently that scene goes on for like half an hour. A couple of minutes was enough for me. Why the fuck would I want to watch someone being tortured?

I often turn off movies if I don't like them. Life is short and - thanks to piracy - movies are free now. If I want to be tortured, I will just take off my pants and ask the Mrs. to light a candle.

I watched Nomadland. Beside a pittoresque portrait of a too unkown marginality fringe of america, it's the main character who catch all the reflexions of all the people met, of all daily situations which she got herself through, without giving up on her grief and therefore without giving up on herself :cool:

A Scanner Dakly, been a while, this film is so trippy, so gloomy, so surreal... And it's the only Philip K. Dick's movie adaptation which stick to the script and not just steal a concept from one of the many he wrote to make a sensational businessed piece of shity-art. I advise the book though, the feelings of paranoia and losing of identity are more tangibles

one of the many he wrote to make a sensational businessed piece of shity-art.
Awww come on man, no one can deny the utter beauty and existentialism of Blade Runner: The Director's Cut. I literally just bought a new Bluray copy because my old DVD copy doesn't scale right on a 4k tv any longer.

Total Recall (1990) was fun too, sure a bit more, eh, commercial? But mad decent nonetheless.

Blade Runner is the exception, of course :) But it's kinda tragic, because Philip K Dick was more of an underground author until he met Ridley Scott, and he died a few mounths before the release, he didn't even get to see the whole movie...

Total Recall is garbage i think, Minority Report aslo in some kinda way, there's more but it don't worth it

Boss Level (2021)

Naomi Watts doesn't really work as Frank Grillo's love interest. The casting is odd. He's not totally devoid of personality like some brick faced action stars, but he's not very likeable either. Add to that his character not being likeable. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to care about his relationship with the woman he abandoned to raise his son while he goes around club hopping, but I don't.

Mel Gibson's performance as the villain is the shining light of this film (if it has one). He has the best lines in the script and he delivers them beautifully. It's a shame. If you kept Watts and Gibson and replaced Grillo the film might not be half bad.

There's some good ideas, here and there... but - unfortunately - it's super unoriginal overall and there are plot holes a plenty.

4/10

Last edited:
MydriHaze said:
Total Recall is garbage i think

The original Paul Verhoeven Total Recall is a fucking classic. How dare you!

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is way better than Blade Runner IMO. They took a book exploding with ideas and stripped it down to the bones.

From the popular game comes the live action film. A writer moves to a remote island with his daughter and young son. After settling into their new home, a neighbor arrives to welcome them and give them a breakdown of the local rules; most important: do not go outside when the island's siren starts wailing.

To be honest it's nothing really to do with the Siren game series but it was actually a creepy wee film. Subtitled of course as not a fan of dubbed films unless done right.

Worth a watch if you can find it.

Solid 3.5/5

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is way better than Blade Runner IMO. They took a book exploding with ideas and stripped it down to the bones.
No one is ever happy with book adaptations though. The best we have is the extended LOTR trilogy pretty much, and even that took some liberties. Every film Stanley Kubrick made just about was a book adaptation, yet they're all great films and (especially w/ The Shining) take liberties with the plot.

I guess I just mean to say that one should never associate the films with the books. Dune (1984) was awwwwful, yet I fucking loved Frank Herbert's book series. And while I haven't read The Shining, I'd hazard a guess that Kubrick did a better job with the film than King did with the book. There's probably better examples.

So yeah, adaptations will always rile someone's feathers, no way around it.

Last edited:
I like Blade Runner. I don't love it. I've always felt this way. When I saw it, I didn't know about the novella. Then I got into PKD in a big way (he's in my top 3 favorite writers) and I read almost all of Androids without realizing it was Blade Runner. They are so far removed from each other, it is almost not an adaptation.

Of course, you can say the same thing about Total Recall & We Can Remember It For You Wholesale... But (IMO) Verhoeven added a lot to the source material while retaining the best parts of the short story. This is easier to do (obviously) when adapting a short rather than a novella, especially when you're talking about writers like PKD... And, to be completely transparent: I love Verhoeven.

Yeah, adaptations of beloved books are often hard to stomach. My problem with Blade Runner is different though. It's super stylish, but it's also a bit bland.

Harrison Ford described Deckard as boring and he's not wrong.

The protag in Androids is a complicated individual. He's married and he uses a machine that distributes drugs according to mood. There is almost nothing left of that character in BR.

Both Kubrick and King made different masterpieces with their respective interpretations of The Shining, but it's still the same story more or less. It's still Jack and his wife and son going to an empty hotel in the middle of nowhere.

Stephen King didn't like Kubrick's version.

I'm not convinced PKD would have loved Blade Runner.

Last edited:
Some great adaptations:
American Psycho
Fight Club
A Clockwork Orange
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

But I saw the film first every time, so it's hard to say.

PKD's short stories (and many of his novels) lack polish. He's a writer that often has brilliant ideas that he just throws away like Monet.

Personally I thought Screamers was a great adaptation of Second Variety. It wasn't perfect but I read the story first and I liked what they did with the film.

I also liked Impostor with Gary Sinese.

Capser (1995)

I'm going to break this one down to pros and cons.

PROS
The film doesn't shy away from Casper being a dead kid.
A young Christina Ricci, a couple of years before Ang Lee's wonderful ice storm.
Dan Aykroyd reprises his character from Ghostbusters.
Bill Pullman is always good.
Eric Idle!

CONS
Bad special effects, not because of limited technology at the time.
Why do ghosts look like cartoons when people look like people?
Why does the dead mum look like a person not a cartoon?

A very generous 6/10

Status
Not open for further replies.