Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enjoyable thriller about a stalker going after people who bring back a woman's lost belongings she intentionally leaves on the subway. Chloe Grace Mortez is great in this, but I think her film 'Shadow in the Cloud' is far better but far different from this.

I Care a Lot

feels like a companion film to Promising Young Woman. gets super silly with the Mission Impossible sequence. shouldn’t have given me what i wanted in the end.

^ that movie was really dumb ("I Care A Lot") I thought

My favorite moment was when the main character was being interrogated by Tyrion Lannister and speculated as to who his identity was. It's like uh, he's in the Russian mob and he's a dwarf, how many Russian mafia dwarfs are there...it should be pretty easy to know who he is

Tekkonkinkreet (2006) by Michael Arias
I've never seen an anime with this kind of 3D animation. Anyone familiar with some recommendations? Loved the visuals but was completely lost with the plot. And why were there 2 stories intertwined, both were muddled as hell. Maybe I just have poor comprehension skills. 3.25/5

Three... Extremes (2004) by Fruit Chan, Takashi Miike, Chan-wook Park
Holy Hong Kong Horror! From the directors of such movies as Audition and Oldboy? Had to snatch this 3-for-1 anthy. Not sure whether to rate this one together or individually, but in any event . . . First one is a gorey, mind fuck of a shock. Kinda eerie vibes at times but mostly shock/gore. Second one has some pretty cool shots, with Saw-like vibes. 'Shocking' as well. Third one had some neat tracking shots, visually pleasing/nice directing but it was the weakest and least scary of the three. Lame ending. 3/5

Easy Rider (1969) by Dennis Hopper
I think I read they spent most of the budget on licensing the music? So yeah, this is basically a long ass music video. Great cinematography, the locations are stunningly beautiful. Jack Nicholson is a highlight. Good film, I just wish there was more substance here. But I guess the free-flowing spirit is like, the theme, mannnnn. 4.20/5

From Russia with Love (1963) by Terence Young
Second installment in the Bond series. More 'mature' than the first film, seems like they found their rhythm/feel on this one. Probably due to the budget being twice as high on this one due to the initial one being such a huge success. Sick intro, probably my favorite out of any Bond film. Nothing much else to say, just a solid film. 3.75/5

Goldfinger (1964) by Guy Hamilton
Third in the Bond series. Everything is juiced up in this one -- more women, more gadgets, more explosions. There's a need to top the first two so I suppose that's one way to do it. You'd think these exaggerations to an established action series would be an improvement, but at what point do they become self-parody? This movie tows that line very closely, that's why out of the first three films I prefer the second. It strikes the best balance. 3.5/5

Nobody (2021) by Ilya Naishuller
A film that imagines, what if Bob Odenkirk was John Wick? This was an enjoyable bubble gum action film, but the comparisons to the aforementioned film are so strong they're hard to ignore, despite its best efforts. Early on they try to stress this isn't John Wick, its an "every man working shlub" so that's the spin they're going for to avoid the obvious ripoff. Had I watched the Wick films after this one, then Nobody would have felt fresher and more of a novel 'wow' effect. But its been done. And better. Soundtrack is interesting -- great songs but with a few exceptions, they don't go with the movie at all. It's like they picked songs they felt were "cool" and just threw them on here. See Baby Driver as an example of when this works. I don't feel most people will share my sentiment or even notice. But anyways. The action scenes are cool and the 90 minute run time is ALWAYS a pleasure. I give this 'bro' film a 3.75/5

Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994) by Mike Newell
Random movie pick, otherwise why else would I be watching a British rom-com from the 90s, right? hehe . . . so yeah. This is a witty film with a bit of heart to it. However, Hugh Grant simping over Andie McDowell's character just kills it for me. oof. 2.75/5

Last edited:
LOL, 4.20 for Easy Rider, nice

You're right, not much in the way of substance for Easy Rider, and kind of a weird, anticlimactic ending...still a classic tho

LOL, 4.20 for Easy Rider, nice

You're right, not much in the way of substance for Easy Rider, and kind of a weird, anticlimactic ending...still a classic tho
ha, I forgot to mention the ending. Yeah, a cheap one for sure.

Like: okay. See you later, I guess.

Oh, and the rough, choppy transitions. Stop trying so hard, Dennis. Don't worry, your scene is True Romance will make you a legend!

i saw 'waterworld' recently - it was better than i remembered.

i just watched 'promising young woman'. it was excellent.

alasdair
Saw this advertised, a lot. Like Carey Mulligan, an underrated, talent.

Maze Runner.
First 2 of series,
Thoroughly, enjoyed both.

Uncut Gems.
Adam Sandler( whom, I was never a fan of) played this exceptionally).
Brilliant, show.

Mommie Dearest (1981) - 4 Wire Hangers - Both the movie and the book are very famous and I've seen scenes from this parodies many a time but have only just gotten around to watching it. I actually really, really enjoyed it. Gotta admit I kinda loved how insane Joan Crawford was (or Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford as written by Christina Crawford). I think there would have been quite a shock factor to this and it had the potential to be disturbing, but Joans villainy was extremely campy. Like it came off as a cartoonish, broadway villain. However, this absolutely did not lessen my enjoyment of the movie in any way. A few of the scenes are actually (unintentionally) hilarious. Definitely worth a watch.

Top Quotes:

"NO. WIRE. HANGERS. EVER!" - Joan Crawford

"Are you deliberately trying to embarrass me in front of there reporters?" - Joan Crawford

Last edited:
El día de la bestia AKA The Day of the Beast (1995) by Álex de la Iglesia
Spanish horror B-movie. Should be five stars based on the plot alone: a priest-turned-sinner joins forces with a shotgun-wielding, acid freak metal head to meet the Devil. It has pretty good pacing and the usual humor that comes with B-movies. The ending felt a little janky/rushed/out of place tho. Blink and you'll miss it. Shout out Easy Rider. 3.75/5

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948 ) by John Huston
This one was a banger, can see why it made so many 'best of' lists. The acting is on point and more than anything, it says something about the human condition, i.e. greed. The story telling is top notch too. Not sure what else there is to say about this one that hasn't already been said. 4.5/5

The Bad News Bears (1976) by Michael Ritchie
This movie could not have come out today. Or maybe it could have, but heavily edited. Specifically a certain kid's dialogue. Anyway, Walter Matthau kills it, as usual. Always love a good underdog story and the ending on this one is not your typical Hollywood ending which makes me enjoy the movie even more. Almost hit the perfect 90 minute run time, too. 4.25/5

Det sjunde inseglet AKA The Seventh Seal (1957) by Ingmar Bergman
Speaking of 'what else is there to say'. Criterion 4k remaster, this time watching it with English dubs. Dialogue differed from the captions (which I prefer over the dub), a combo that is not recommended for your first viewing lol. I give this one a Death/5

Last edited:
Hillbilly Elegy (2020)

The film takes off in the third act. Maybe that's because I watched the first two acts before a ten hour work day and the final act with beer and weed after work. My opinion isn't unaffected by chemistry, but - mostly - I am convinced that the first half of the film is too slow.

I don't like the rigid academic "hero's journey" structure that is forced on storytelling. I hate it more than anyone, but I wanted more of it with this film. It is ineptly directed, and that's coming from somebody that likes Ron Howard as a filmmaker. Parenthood is a great film; Hillbilly Elegy is not.

Glenn Close is great in the role. I don't think she brings more energy to the character than any other actress could. I could imagine other women in the role. I don't much like transformation roles, but she honestly deserves credit for this performance. It's very solid. I understand the nomination.

I couldn't give a rat's ass about Amy Adam's performance.

This is a film-maker (Ron Howard) taking a personal memoir about a life he knows nothing about and recruiting Hollywood actors - who also know nothing about this life - and trying to replicate something that requires real nuance and attention to detail... but, instead, forcing drama and playing with stereotypes.

It's not an awful film. It's mediocre, which is worse than bad.

At least when you watch a bad film, you can appreciate how bad it is.

Elegy (like many modern films) is slow and bland and forgettable.

5/10

El día de la bestia AKA The Day of the Beast (1995) by Álex de la Iglesia
Spanish horror B-movie. Should be five stars based on the plot alone: a priest-turned-sinner joins forces with a shotgun-wielding, acid freak metal head to meet the Devil. It has pretty good pacing and the usual humor that comes with B-movies. The ending felt a little janky/rushed/out of place tho. Blink and you'll miss it. Shout out Easy Rider. 3.75/5

Haven't seen that one for a while but I remember enjoying it

Maze Runner.
First 2 of series,
Thoroughly, enjoyed both.

I was very much intrigued by the premise of this series but it kinda fell flat in the end. I agree it was still enjoyable though.

This is a film-maker (Ron Howard) taking a personal memoir about a life he knows nothing about and recruiting Hollywood actors - who also know nothing about this life - and trying to replicate something that requires real nuance and attention to detail... but, instead, forcing drama and playing with stereotypes.

Fiddlesticks. This is what I was expecting but in the back of my mind I was trying to convince myself to overcome my cynicism and give it a chance. I don't know if I'll be able to. The last thing I want to do is watch a bunch of hollywod elites appropriate my culture if it's clear they didn't put in the effort to truly understand it.

I give Godzilla vs Kong 1/10 . It would've been a zero if it weren't for the incredible effects.

I give Mortal Kombat 5/10. Impressive when a movie can be spot on half the time then fall flat on its face the other half. But that's what this incarnation of MK did.

I watched part of bohemian rhapsody. Bad accent, bad acting, bad writing. I was wanting to do a version with Adrian grenier as Freddy Mercury. Big pharma took it.

Haven't seen that one for a while but I remember enjoying it
I'm glad I stumbled across it. It's not the best movie out there and yet the world would lose a little something had it not existed.
I give Godzilla vs Kong 1/10 . It would've been a zero if it weren't for the incredible effects.

I give Mortal Kombat 5/10. Impressive when a movie can be spot on half the time then fall flat on its face the other half. But that's what this incarnation of MK did.
I said the same thing about 'zilla. Regarding MK, I'm so tempted based solely on the fact I'm a 90s kid. However, I recently watched Snyder's Justice League and it left a bad, four hour taste in my mouth.
I watched part of bohemian rhapsody. Bad accent, bad acting, bad writing. I was wanting to do a version with Adrian grenier as Freddy Mercury. Big pharma took it.
Saw him in a small role within Short Term 12 and it got me curious to watch that. Not because he was good in it, just to see his take. Sucks to hear.

I have like 7 films I recently watch to review, but who gives a fuck lol. One of them is Nomadland. Shout out Chloe Zhao! You go girl.

I was very much intrigued by the premise of this series but it kinda fell flat in the end. I agree it was still enjoyable though.

Fiddlesticks. This is what I was expecting but in the back of my mind I was trying to convince myself to overcome my cynicism and give it a chance. I don't know if I'll be able to. The last thing I want to do is watch a bunch of hollywod elites appropriate my culture if it's clear they didn't put in the effort to truly understand it.
Thanks for ruining the shitty ending, i've already read about, for me! :p ;)

We got to create a better one!

Status
Not open for further replies.