Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm watching Zack Snyder's Justice League.

It is worlds better than the original (Joss Whedon) release, but it's far from Snyder's best work.

Gal Gadot isn't an actress. She's a model. They should've hired an actress.

Ben Affleck competes for the worst Batman.

Snyder's version of the film oozes style though. It's epic (like Lord of the Rings meets Watchmen) and JL is a worthy addition to Batman vs Superman... which most people hated, but I personally thought was a weird dark diversion from the popcorn Marvel bullshit that they churn out every year. Full disclosure: I prefer DC. So, I'm probably biased.

This is a film that needs four hours.

People have this limited idea of cinematic running time. Four hours is outrageous because we have attention spans dictated by social media and TikTok, but some stories need time to develop.

Snyder's cut got pretty average critic reviews. If it was a TV show, it would be one of the best rated shows on television... but, it's a film... and people are impatient and fickle. So, it gets mediocre reviews.

My biggest gripe with the original cut was how they brushed over Superman's resurrection, but the whole thing was rushed. None of the characters had room to breathe and I hated Joss Whedon's "light-hearted", silly take on the film. Warner Brothers wanted to make it a silly film. It's not a silly film. It's not based on Garfield comics. Superman is fucking dead.

Snyder nails it.

My problem with his cut is it's too epic. It's too dramatic. Sometimes, I'm not invested enough to appreciate the drama.

Last edited:
Grindhouse: Death Proof (2007)

Tarantino's second worst film (maybe 3rd? Django kinda sucked too, way too lengthy in favor of pandering) after Hateful Eight IMO. This film was meant as an homage to film of yore, B films to be more precise. As a fan of 70s/80s B films i.e. Roger Corman flicks such as Arena where we first see Pam Grier, I thought I'd enjoy this one and decided to give it a watch.

It didn't horribly disappoint, but in being an homage, it lacked originality in the extreme; and yes, I know that was the point! The characters even talking about Vanishing Point and other 70s B flicks and such. The intentionally bad cuts, intro credits, silly plot with silly names. It all fit cookie-cutter style into a 70s B flick. Only this time... it was an amazing director, trying to make a bad film (vs a bad director making a bad film) so we see what amounts to half-assed attempts to keep us actually engaged with the film (many Kill Bill references throughout) and in the end get left with a pulp-ending that would indeed feel right at home circa 1976 but fell horribly flat given the nearly 2 hour (yes two hours!) run-time on this film.

Props to Kurt Russel for doing what he does best; acting, with a bit a panache lol. He plays the baddy so well, though he's a relic of 80s/90s B flicks himself so it shouldn't be any surprise.

Overall it was worth the watch, if only to say, "I've seen every single Tarantino film." If you don't LOVE 70s B Flicks and Tarantino, you'll hate this film.

6/10

More reviews to come, watched many more films recently but keep getting stoned and forgetting to write... I shall return! *sound of inhaling off a joint*

Interesting and somber little horror/thriller about a guy telling a story to a bartender during a snow storm. Everything is not as it seems as it turns out.

Can’t really say much more as it would ruin the film but def catch this if you can.

3.5/5

who is this Max guy?

Promising Young Women

introductory sequence gave false expectations. thought it was going to be all pop punk and over the top. went bland instead. didn't quite make it to the end due to mirtazipine. was informed i didn't miss anything. too bad. carey mulligan is dope.

The Ghost Writer (2010)

Roman Polanski captures what many feel he didn't with The Ninth Gate in this one. Very similar plot, very similar ominous feels, but way more accessible to general audiences. Ewan MacGregor puts in an amazing performance as the lead character, a 'ghostwriter' for a politician played by Pierce Brosnan. The twist ending was mad decent and I actually didn't see it coming despite the foreshadowing. Not his best work, but very well done with mass appeal in my opinion.

If you're new to Polanski films, this one and Rosemary's Baby would be my first two recommendations. I hope to explore some of his more eclectic stuff later but Amazon said I can't rent Venus in Fur in America... bastards.

7.5/10

Last edited:
The Darjeeling Limited (2007)

Classic Wes Anderson style film. People who enjoyed his prior films i.e. The Life Aquatic, The Royal Tenenbaums, etc. will likely enjoy this one too. Plenty of slow-motion sequences with great music, cameos from Anderson's frequent actors. Amazing performances by all involved.

Three brothers go on a spiritual/literal journey after their father passes on. Hilarity and quirky humor ensues. I think that just about sums it up without giving away too much plot heh.

8/10

The Tiger Hunter (2016)

This was a sappy "coming to America" immigrant film. I really loved the lead actor in the tv series Community, and thus decided to give it a watch before they took it off Netflix.

It wasn't bad... but it wasn't good. The lead character must be American born, his Indian accent was atrocious. The film was very cliché. Overall though, it left me with a sense of hope, and the knowledge that I shouldn't worry about where the grass is greener, simply to enjoy what I have.

5.5/10

who is this Max guy?
I wonder this myself sometimes.

Short Term 12 (2013) by Destin Daniel Cretton
Guess this is supposed to be Brie Larson's breakout role and you can see why, she is great in this. I also love the idea of the 'hero/savior' themselves dealing with personal demons. It's very real. The guy from Get Out/Judas (too lazy to Google) also has a great performance in this, better than the other two films even. This is considered an 'indie' film-- does that explain the shaky cameras? Is that supposed to be a litmus test? 4.25/5

Blue Ruin (2013) by Jeremy Saulnier
Stripped down, no fuss, solid 'thriller'. Imagine a Tarantino revenge film, except a lot less stylized and with 80% less dialogue . . . okay, I guess it wouldn't be a QT film then but the sentence made sense when I started typing it. Seriously though, great film, I can't say anything bad about it. 4.25/5

Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

I didn't like the first film very much, but I thought they did a pretty good job with a God-awful character. Wonder Woman is a joke. Her outfit is ridiculous. Her powers are stupid... but the original film kind of worked anyway which is nothing short of a miracle.

1984 starts out great. The opening sequence is perfect, but everything goes downhill from there. Kristen Wiig's character is annoyingly cliched. Chris Pine's time travel jokes are cringey. None of the drama works. The plot is riddled with holes.

Near the end of the film, Wonder Woman works out she can fly like superman.

This film is worse than Aquaman and that's really saying something.

I give it a 1/10.

Godzilla vs Kong (2021)
First off, before I forget, this stars the kid from Hunt for the Wilderpeople which was a great film (4/5) so it was cool to see him in something else. I pretended it was the same character lol. Okay, so anyway, this film is what happens when you throw 500 million dollars at the CGI and 0 into the actual screenwriting. The scenes with the monkey fighting the giant lizard were pretty cool, but I could have done without everything else. Maybe I'm being too harsh; I hear this is the fourth in a 'universe' so maybe I have to watch them all to really 'get it'. But I won't so 2.5/5

lol. so true.

The others are just as bad with the exception of Kong: Skull Island imho.

Just saw Mayhem a few days ago
If you like mindless violence then you'll dig this, it's about a virus that makes people go psycho and just succumb to their primal urges. It has this 'Natural Born Killers' like duo.

Just saw Mayhem a few days ago
If you like mindless violence then you'll dig this, it's about a virus that makes people go psycho and just succumb to their primal urges. It has this 'Natural Born Killers' like duo.
Loved that film! Reminded me of The Belko Experiment (or Project, can't remember at this moment).

ah man, you hated hateful 8 ? Breaking my heart 💔
Didn't hate it; simply thought it was one of his worse films. He made so many good ones, even my least favorite are still worth adding to my shelf. Don't worry, I liked The Hateful Eight :) just thought his other films by and large were better.

Tom & Jerry: The Movie (2021)

Saw this in the cinema today.

This is the worst adaptation of a classic children's show I've ever seen.

I thought The LEGO Movie was great and that was the cinematic adaptation of LEGO.

Tom & Jerry is a fucking disaster. The directing sucks. Sometimes the real life actors aren't even looking in the right direction when they're talking to the animated characters. It's a thousand times worse than Roger Rabbit and Space Jam technically... and most of the film doesn't have animated characters on the screen.

There is so much bullshit filler (presumably, to save money on animation costs).

The film revolves about an Indian wedding between two rich douchebags and a bunch of subplots about ill conceived hotel workers that I couldn't give a flying shit about.

Tom (the cat) actually starts singing at one point.

The animation parts are absolute garbage. There's maybe five minutes of classic Tom and Jerry antics and it isn't even inspired. It's like half a bad episode of Tom and Jerry cut with 90 minutes of god-awful shit.

A big, fat 0/10

Tom & Jerry: The Movie (2021)

Saw this in the cinema today.

This is the worst adaptation of a classic children's show I've ever seen.

I thought The LEGO Movie was great and that was the cinematic adaptation of LEGO.

Tom & Jerry is a fucking disaster. The directing sucks. Sometimes the real life actors aren't even looking in the right direction when they're talking to the animated characters. It's a thousand times worse than Roger Rabbit and Space Jam technically... and most of the film doesn't have animated characters on the screen.

There is so much bullshit filler (presumably, to save money on animation costs).

The film revolves about an Indian wedding between two rich douchebags and a bunch of subplots about ill conceived hotel workers that I couldn't give a flying shit about.

Tom (the cat) actually starts singing at one point.

The animation parts are absolute garbage. There's maybe five minutes of classic Tom and Jerry antics and it isn't even inspired. It's like half a bad episode of Tom and Jerry cut with 90 minutes of god-awful shit.

A big, fat 0/10

shocker! lol.

Godzilla vs Kong also sucked ass.

@mal3volent

It is truly shocking how bad it is. That is what's shocking about it. I have lowered my expectations so much over the past ten years that I don't have any expectations anymore, yet Tom and Jerry still managed (very much) to fail to live up them.

I don't even like the cartoon that much. It's a pretty generic, unoriginal animated show... but it's seriously infinitely better than this movie.

It definitely doesn't help that China from Louis CK's excellent "I Love You Daddy" is the star...

I only know the actress from ILYD (which is basically CK's version of Lolita) and Tom & Jerry.

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)

This was on at work today.

I never quite understood the hate this film received, because I saw it as a child so I liked the tiny bear people. Also, the opening of Return - introducing Jedi Master Luke for the first time - was fucking awesome.

Having said that, I hated the sequel trilogy and some people love it. So, I suspect that there is no such thing as a good or bad film. It's just a matter of perspective... But that is overshadowed most of the time by the fact that people are retarded.

(9/10)

Waterworld (1995)

When Kevin Costner can't deliver any more mail as a post-apocalyptic postman... the world floods and becomes, WATERWORLD!

This was a bad movie. Clearly Universal spent out the ass on effects and stunts because the quality of the shots is amazing, just... the plot, the acting, the amazing over-the-top roll of the villain played by Dennis Hopper (of Blue Velvet fame) were all maximum cheese. I recall as a child going to Universal's park in Florida, they had a Waterworld show with pyrotechnics. It was neat, you could feel the heat, but I really and seriously doubt it's still there lol.

Anyways, this film was a bit too long, with no redeeming value, and half-assed (no pun intended) nudity that played into the new PG-13 rating at the time. Fuck PG-13... PG or R damn it!

3/10

Waterworld (1995)

When Kevin Costner can't deliver any more mail as a post-apocalyptic postman... the world floods and becomes, WATERWORLD!

This was a bad movie. Clearly Universal spent out the ass on effects and stunts because the quality of the shots is amazing, just... the plot, the acting, the amazing over-the-top roll of the villain played by Dennis Hopper (of Blue Velvet fame) were all maximum cheese. I recall as a child going to Universal's park in Florida, they had a Waterworld show with pyrotechnics. It was neat, you could feel the heat, but I really and seriously doubt it's still there lol.

Anyways, this film was a bit too long, with no redeeming value, and half-assed (no pun intended) nudity that played into the new PG-13 rating at the time. Fuck PG-13... PG or R damn it!

3/10

it is terrible but I remember seeing it as kid so it's super nostalgic.

I just watched Rock of Ages.
i don’t know how I missed it all of these years. It has an all star cast. The plot is a cheesy, over the top love story but it’s to be expected from a musical. Tom Cruise does a great job playing an 80s hair metal rock star.
IMDB gave it 5.9 stars, I give it 9

Status
Not open for further replies.