Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I love these killer car films, popcorn horror as you say. Basically a guy’s soul goes into this car that immediately starts killing people linked to his murder. Also a group of cyberpunk looking enemies are after some chip he supposedly had.

Another good one is ‘Hybrid’ - I might have linked it a few pages back.

The Breaker Upperers ( 2018 )

I'm a sucker for silly comedies and this didn't disappoint. Produced by Taika Waititi (Thor Ragnarok, Jojo Rabbit, What We Do In The Shadows) and co-directed by Jackie Van Beek (Wellington Paranormal). This is a low budget New Zealand comedy about a small business that helps people end relationships. The writers /directors /stars are both female. There are a lot of vagina jokes, but they're good vagina jokes.

It's not a perfect film, but it manages to be funnier than the VAST majority of Hollywood garbage produced these days, without relying on a big budget or any big name actors... Except a cameo from Jemaine Clement.

Last edited:
Though not a movie but a series but so far im enjoying it and the story line. The Mandalorian it's called that gives you a bit of a back story to the bounty hunters of the movie franchise (Star Wars). Very interesting and with top grade effects like the movie so they clearly had a big budget but i would advise this to any Star Wars fan.

Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)

Another Woody Allen flick, this was one of his best. It felt a lot like what he did with Interiors, only less serious, more humor, more classic Woody. Carrie Fisher has an interesting cameo as do other actors who would later populate film as we know it. The mental struggles the characters faced were true to life, the love triangle aspects played out better than in Allen's later flicks, and the movie's pacing was quick yet still took almost two (enjoyable) hours.

Well worth the watch if you're into Allen's 'Love Triangle/Hectic Family' type plots. These tend to be what he's good at lol, draws on self experience I guess.

8/10

Tombstone (1993)

I had read a reviewer stating this was their favorite film, let alone Western, of all time.

I want whatever they smoked. My wife and I enjoyed this better than most of Sergio Leone's early efforts (outside Good Bad Ugly, that's just classic) and yet something was lacking... the star studded cast couldn't do enough to save the plot. Val Kilmer was in his worst form, a poorly acted dying Doc Holliday. Kurt Russel was okay as Wyatt Earp. Sam Elliot stood out, if only because the man was born to be in Westerns lol.

Anyways yeah, the plot dragged, it bored us, we began not asking the other to pause it when we'd leave the room type-deal. I was sorely disappointed after reading the reviews.

Now what this film did well, it did well; editing, costumes, set design, mainly aesthetic stuff. Val Kilmer's makeup artist is out of a job though I hope lol.

5.5/10

Last edited:
This might be the year I watch the most movies so I should probably write down my thoughts sooner than later after viewings, else they get lost in the infinite.

The Player (1992)
This is a movie by Hollywood for Hollywood. It starts off with like a 7 minute long-take, at the end a character makes a fourth-wall-breaking-circle-jerking-pat-on-the-back-taking-comment about long takes. That meta kinda sets the tone for the rest of the film. Oh, and all the cameos. It has some 'smart humour' and a generally decent plot, but this seems more like Tinsletown self-gratification than anything. 2.5/5

The Lost Weekend (1945)
A tale as old as time: a writer drinks because he feels he's a shitty writer which makes him actually become a shitty writer so he drinks because he feels like a shitty writer causing him to... that's the bulk of this movie except he visits a couple places along the way. It has a heart at its core and its Billy Wilder so the writing is sharp. 3/5

Isle of Dogs (2019 )
I really enjoyed this one, moreso than Fantastic Mr Fox. This film from the get go screams Wes Anderson. The plot has great pacing, visual gags, and a feel good message. Most people would mention the voice cast as a plus but I actually thought it was a negative. Bryan Cranston, Bill Murray, Edward Norton, etc: their voices are way too recognizable that they actually take me out of the movie. Lesser known voices would have elevated this even more for me. 4/5

Judas and the Black Messiah (2020)
Didn't BlacKkKlansman already do this? Felt like the same movie, in a way. The guy from Get Out is great in this. This film feels very topical for today's political climate. But it just felt too dragged out at times, especially two thirds of the way in. The cinematography bump this one up to a 3.5/5

Princess Mononoke (1997)
Slowly but surely making my way thru Miyazaki. The animation is obviously top-notch and I guess this is the one where he goes all Ferngully on us. The best thing about this movie is the ethical complexity it offers, especially for what some might call a children's film. They say the best movies are two sides of a good argument. This felt like four sides. There might be other subtleties I'm missing, I dunno, its dense. Anyway, this was far from my favorite Miyazaki, but, like pizza . . . 3/5

Bad Boys For Life (2020)
Ha, you would have never guessed Michael Bay was no longer directing these. Also, holy Martin Lawrence got fat. The latest installment has the expected "I'm gettin' too old for this shit" jokes, the million dollar explosions & shoot outs, and of course, the bubble gum plot. But bottom line: It's entertaining. You know what you're getting into with this one: a comedy action blockbuster, and it delivers just that. Just put this one on in the background while you cook or the next time you "Netflix and chill" (are the kids still saying this?). If you don't think too hard while watching the movie: 3/5

Tenet (2020)
Woo buddy, is this Christopher Nolan in his final form? This feels like he's been leading up to this with Memento, Inception, Interstellar. The type you need at least a second rewatch to fully digest, but this pushes that idea to 11. I think I heard a quote that some days the actors didn't even understand what the fuck was going on. It immediately jumps headfirst into everything, taking like 15 seconds to explain what feels like PHD level quantum physics. Still, even if you don't totally get it, all is not lost thankfully. The action and acting and cinematography are all top notch. Nolan delivers. 4.5/5

Soul (2020)
I don't know if I haven't seen a Pixar film in awhile (Toy Story 4?) or because I saw this in 2160p, but what a damn good looking animated film! It reeled me in with some of the jazz scenes at the beginning. Also, it takes some balls to center a children's movie around Death! "If Miyazaki directed The Seventh Seal" is way too generous and almost nonsensical, but I just wanted to put that phrase out into the World. 3.75/5

Black Swan (2010)
This was well directed (shout out Arnofsky) and good acting by Portman. I wish Mila was in more scenes but I'll just have to rewatch That 70s Show to get my fix (just kidding, I wouldn't subject myself to that). I'm always down for a mind-fucky film, especially ones that rip off Perfect Blue! The ending kinda saves this. 3.5/5

Last edited:

Aside from the really annoying roommate, this could have been so much more. Enjoyable to a degree but wouldn't watch again to be honest.

Binging on these social media horror films at the mo so always on the lookout for others.

Rated it 2\5 on Letterboxd (you can see all the films I've rated and reviewed in my signature).

Last edited:

Love Bella Thorne’s films, she plays such dark characters with ease. The plot is easy enough to follow and you’ll probably figure out what’s going to happen as the film progresses.

Social media horror is really ramping up these days, maybe because of the pandemic but really enjoyed this. Live streaming their robberies for more followers and likes (more Bella than her boyfriend) ultimately ends in trouble for both of them.

Catch it if you can on Prime/iTunes/Google Play etc.

Next up: Assassination Nation

I'm always down for a mind-fucky film, especially ones that rip off Perfect Blue!
I love just how many films are rip offs of Perfect Blue. But also, Perfect Blue was a sorta rip-off of some older horror flick I watched recently, can't recall... probably wrote about it here somewhere.

Anyways, I loved Black Swan, I thought there was a lot more depth to it than Perfect Blue. Lots of commentary on the way we view females in society.

I need to write up some reviews before I forget too... watched A Rainy Day in New York, Phantasm, Out of Afrika, a few others this past week... but all hazy as I've been getting mega stoned throughout lol.

I love just how many films are rip offs of Perfect Blue. But also, Perfect Blue was a sorta rip-off of some older horror flick I watched recently, can't recall... probably wrote about it here somewhere.

Anyways, I loved Black Swan, I thought there was a lot more depth to it than Perfect Blue. Lots of commentary on the way we view females in society.

I need to write up some reviews before I forget too... watched A Rainy Day in New York, Phantasm, Out of Afrika, a few others this past week... but all hazy as I've been getting mega stoned throughout lol.
If you can remember the name, lemme know! Always down for movies with that Dostoevsky "The Double" type edge to them. Especially with a horror twist.

As far as depth, Black Swan had a different type than Perfect Blue. The latter explored more self-identity, voyeurism, and celebrity idol themes. Both very 'psychological' films, for lack of a better word. I wouldn't say one had way more depth than the other tho.

Alright, before I forget for equally-green reasons:

Alone in the Wilderness (2004)
On that Walden tip! This was such a beautiful film in so many ways. The scenery, obviously, but the isolation, the harmonious relationship with nature. Living like that would be amazing, but would it mean giving up music and film in exchange? Hm. Speaking of music, one day I will watch this on mute with Boards of Canada playing in the background and I bet it will fit perfectly. Forget the 'Dark Side of Oz'! 4/5

Cotton Comes to Harlem (1970)
First off, I love the cop names: "Gravedigger Jones and Coffin 'Ed' Johnson". Holy fuck. This was an okay blaxploitation flick. Always nice to see a Redd Foxx cameo and the two aforementioned leads were solid. The plot was a bit convoluted and plenty of cheese. I mainly enjoy these type of films for their preservation of 1970s NYC anyway. Oh and the Galt McDermott did the soundtrack so yeah. (This song is cooler than you ever will be.) 2.5/5

Supersoul Brother (1979)
Holy fuck this one is amazing. A blaxploitation heist film that revolves around two gangsters turning a wino into an indestructible superhuman. Disclaimer: there isn't much of a heist and there isn't much of a plot, either. But what it does have is several unintentionally hilarious "what in the ever living fuck am I watching" moments. The visual film scratches and missing frames add to the overall feel and aesthetic. As a result, its so bad its good. For me at least, I can definitely see this film's humor being very offensive and off-putting for some. Just refer to the film's original title!! That being said, if you take it with a grain of salt and laugh along at the pure absurdity of it all: 3.75/5

Stone Cold Killer (1973)
"You know what we got here? Motherfucking Charlie Bronson!" - Drexl Spivey. Love that quote. And this is indeed a motherfucking Charlie Bronson film. Tough cop, knocking on doors and kicking in teeth. Aaaand that's pretty much all it is. Some neat car chase scenes throughout. I found it hard to follow exactly what was going on outside Charles Bronson being Charles Bronson. Italian mobsters? Vietnam vets? Okay? Another one of those films that is a good preservation and look into 1970s NYC. Doesn't offer much more than that and Bronson being a complete badass as usual. Although I almost shit my pants when the MF DOOM/King Gheedorah sample hit OMG. 2.5/5

The Great McGinty (1940)
Always a sucker for a Preston Sturges film. The dialogue is always so sharp, quick, and witty. The two lead roles were solid. The buildup was great but I felt the ending was way rushed, or at least wasn't really satisfying given the ascent. I want to describe this as "if the Three Stooges tried to make a drama" because of all the physical roughhousing between the mobster and McGinty. But there isn't as much slapstick humor as that comparison would imply. 2.75/5

As far as depth, Black Swan had a different type than Perfect Blue. The latter explored more self-identity, voyeurism, and celebrity idol themes. Both very 'psychological' films, for lack of a better word. I wouldn't say one had way more depth than the other tho.
Fair enough, Perfect Blue was definitely something else lol. I remember being glued to the screen. I just haven't watched it as recently.

I think the film I was thinking of was Argento's Opera from I wana say 1987? It wasn't a Dostoevsky "The Double" type though, much more generic... style over substance. Just a very strikingly similar plot to Perfect Blue.

I just watched Tarantino's Death Proof I'll have to write some reviews soon... it was okay, least inspired of his films but enjoyable.

@Cream Gravy? regarding Death Proof: 'grindhouse' movies aren't really meant to be inspired anyway so you could argue Tarantino really nails it!

some quick hitters:

Con Air (1997)
Didn't enjoy this one as much this time around. What a cast tho. But holy this is 100% Hollywood packaged action blockbuster cheese. And not in a good, trusty Kraft single kind of way. 2.5/5

Ocean's 11 (1960)
The writers of Mad Men must have studied this one. Dapper gents sitting around sipping whiskey. Dino sings the same song four times for some reason. Ending was . . . different. The literal ending shot was Joe Cool as fuck -- Rat Pack walking down The Strip as the credits roll. 2.75/5

The Song Remains the Same (1976)
Wow, the boys really had a hard-on for Middle Earth huh? The fantasy scenes are fucking weird but Jimmy Page shreds. Rating the film though, not the music: 1.5/5

Godzilla vs Kong (2021)
First off, before I forget, this stars the kid from Hunt for the Wilderpeople which was a great film (4/5) so it was cool to see him in something else. I pretended it was the same character lol. Okay, so anyway, this film is what happens when you throw 500 million dollars at the CGI and 0 into the actual screenwriting. The scenes with the monkey fighting the giant lizard were pretty cool, but I could have done without everything else. Maybe I'm being too harsh; I hear this is the fourth in a 'universe' so maybe I have to watch them all to really 'get it'. But I won't so 2.5/5

Tokyo-Ga (1985)
This documentary was a cool look into everday life in 1985 Tokyo . . . through the eyes of a director trying to retrace the films of another director. This is probably enjoyable if you know at least one of the two and if you know both directors this film is probably REALLY enjoyable. As it stands, I know neither so a lot was lost on me outside of the footage of 80's Japan and even that isn't on screen for much of the movie. 1/5

Lake Mungo (2008 )
Interesting mockumentary-style horror film. It does the Blair Witch/Paranormal Activity thing without feeling too much like a trope or becoming a self-parody. It's a thin line (that it pushes towards the end). 3.25/5

Last edited:
I really enjoyed "Black Swan", I thought that was a great one, classic psychological horror film. Natalie Portman definitely deserved her academy award for her performance in that one...I love how the film developed the theme of the main character losing her mind in subtle ways, slowly ratcheting up the tension and unease until the finale

Chocolat. I'm not normally a sap but this film hits me on so many personal levels and it's just lovely with every rewatch

A Rainy Day in New York (2020)

Generic Woody Allen film, this one was such a horrible mash up of young Disney stars, teenage heartthrobs, and older actors that I wish coulda gotten into an Allen film before they became... whatever the fuck this was. I almost rented it for a dollar, luckily it became free on Prime... dollar well saved!

Plot wise, if you've seen at least two of Allen's films from his two styles (family crisis vs love triangles) then you've seen this whole damn film. I mean yeah, most of his films are similar to each other... but this was the worst Midnight in Paris/To Rome With Love/Interiors/Annie Hall/Manhattan/Blue Jasmine/Cafe Society mash up he could have made. Every film I just mentioned makes an appearance. It's sad... Allen films are almost always self-derivitive, but this? This was self-indulgance.

On an up-note, I'm surprised by how decent of an actor Timothee Chalamet has become. High hopes for him as Paul Atreides in Dune this year.

3/10

Out of Afrika (1985)

Like all best picture winners at the Oscars, this film was about 30-45 minutes too long, full of shitty accents on Meryl Streep's part, and just generally boring. At nearly three hours, I put my own intermission in and paused halfway for other activities.

That isn't to say this was a bad film; indeed, the sweeping imagery, the amazing soundtrack by John Barry, the beauty of 20th century period pieces... it was all rather beautiful. The acting was good (shout out to Robert Redford) and the plot was decent enough for a drama.

But like all Oscar bait, this film dragged. It was hard to finish. Next time I'll just listen to the soundtrack.

5/10

Phantasm (1979)

Seen this one before, just rewatched it on Prime for fun. Classic 70s horror film with a weird sci-fi twist and an AMAZING soundtrack. One for my DVD shelf some day. The Plymouth Barracuda in this film... oof what a beaut. They don't make 'em like that anymore. Nor do they make amazing synth-soundtracks anymore! Shame on you modern horror films!

I rate this film higher than it really deserves just because it's such a good B flick.

7.5/10

Last edited:

Actually pretty good alien invasion flick that takes place on St Patrick’s Day, bit on the short side (70 odd mins). Was impressed how much I liked it lol.

Dr No (1962) directed by Terence Young
The one that started it all. Literally 5 minutes in and you have the classic 'turn and shoot' intro, 007 playing poker, and the infamous "Bond, James Bond". The film that launched a thousand parodies. For being the first one, so much was already in place. But I suppose the books had a lot to do with that. Not great, not bad, it's a trendsetter tho. 3.75/5

The Killer (1989) directed by John Woo
"Yo, Meth, where my killa tape at?" Funny that a film beloved by rappers contain so much homoeroticism. Speaking of which, I felt the female lead's role in this one was fluff. Like okay, sure, she is a plot device to explain why the retired assassin is taking "one last job" but honestly, she doesn't provide much outside of that yet has considerable screen time. Not her fault tho, this one's on the screenwriters. Take her out completely and make this a 90 minute film (perfect film length imo) and this one gets bumped up. (Also, compare the laughable gun handling in this film vs Heat, holy) 4/5

Midnight Cowboy (1969) directed by John Schlesinger
I really liked this one. This films exists in the same universe as Taxi Driver and not just for the setting but the fact Joe Buck could have easily been Harvey Keitel's character. Yes I'm a sucker for any film portraying old NYC (especially the 'seedy underbelly'), but aside from that you have just great performances from Voight and Hoffman. A cowboy walking around packed NYC crowds with a boombox on his shoulder yet he is utterly fucking alone and lost? *chefs kiss* Just the overall story, including the interspersed 'trippy' flashbacks, this ones a gem. I'm walking heah! 4.5/5

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons (1973) directed by Kenji Misumi
So this one randomly caught my eye. I read a short description: "samurai assassin roams the countryside of Japan with a fucking baby in tow". How could I not. It's supposed to be the fifth in a series of six so I was a bit apprehensive. But this one more than met expectations. The swordplay, the story, the humor. Very tight film, which I always appreciate. Entertaining. The whole time I was thinking, man, this all seems vaguely familiar for some reason. After watching, it turns out the first film in the series is fucking Shogun Assassin (of Liquid Swords/Kill Bill fame). I will definitely be watching the rest of these. 4.25/5

Last edited:
Max Power said:
Midnight Cowboy (1969)

Such a classic. I love that film so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.