Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blood and Black Lace (1964)

Another Giallo style flick I watched on Prime. This one I quite enjoyed and agree with the around 7.0 average it garnered on IMDb. Visually exciting and the plot was decent and twisty. A short run time helped keep me from boredom.

The only detractor was the English dub; Amazon doesn't always offer films in their original language and it's irksome. I would be interested to have seen it in Italian with subtitles... oh well.

7/10

Willy's Wonderland (2021)

Billed as an ode to 80's horror flicks, we have a broken down amusement restaurant (knock off from Chuck E Cheese) which was set up and run in the 80's by some insane guy and his friends. They started killing customers, and as the cops closed in they did a satanic ritual so their souls could escape to inanimate objects....the animatronic characters of the restaurant. Nick Cage is a silent loner chugging Punch soda travelling through the backroads, gets four flats in 'an accident' and gets towed into tiny Haneysville. Repair shop only takes cash, but he can work off the new tires by cleaning the local joint someone is trying to re-open. Add in a low rent version of millennial teens looking to burn the place down, and the rest of the town in a pact with WIlly the Weasel and his gang to feed them strangers, then all you have left is Nick drinking soda and beating the crap out of life size animatronics. The highlight is a toss up between Nicks lack of any lines (just grunts, sips, and attacks, plays pinball, rinse and repeat) and Caylee Cowan as the second string female teen getting horny in the horror house and giving us bra cleavage (straight shot, jiggling shots, and a blood splatter shot) - both of these leave us disappointed. Even for fans of 80's horror, I can't recommend. I really, really wanted to like this based on the concept; and even having Nick Cage didn't ruin it (he actually did decent considering he has no lines); but it was not to be. 4/10.

I enjoyed this movie. Sci Fi / Mystery / Suspense packaged like a horror movie. Pretty neat.

At first I hated it because the entire movie runs off dialogue and I thought a few of the characters were annoying. Definitely gets better and the ending is quite good, which was a nice surprise.

Very interesting concept and keeps you guessing that's for sure.

They should have left the ketamine references out... only funny to people who have never done drugs... hated that part

It's really not as much as a mind fuck as they portray it... more just a mystery you have to put together.... or maybe I just have a 300IQ genius brain and ate it up like candy. Jury is out.

Snafu Criterion Collection™ approved

Last edited:

Wasn't really expecting this to be any good but it actually surprised me. Three people stuck in this high rise (well mid to be fair) building with a malevolent paranormal force - oh the horror! We have creepy visions, running out of food, the water stopping etc etc.

2.5\5

I watched Spun recently for the second time in several months. Absolutely great when heroes are spun, not so much when they are coming down and seemingly leaving meth for good at least for a while. That "leaving for good" part was just too cheesy and too easily jumped to existential (healing) part. Does not happen in real life and does not work as part of heroes story. Director should have had courage to continue true (phenomenologically) description of heroes life after stopping drugs. Actually, it would be as interesting (if not more) than spun part.

But spun part was absolutely great. And I haven't tried meth or amphetamine, which does not matter really, because art is a substitution for those.

Interesting film about the Wendigo. Two friends go hiking and encounter it/them.

Actually trippy enough. You can feel the cold as the whole film takes place in the snow.

Moulin Rouge (2001)

This was one of the more enjoyable musicals I've watched (I very much dislike musicals generally) at least for the first half; full of sexual-innuendo and brilliant word play. Nicole Kidman is a stone cold fox and Ewan McGregor really pulls the film together. The second half is depressing and unreasonably drawn out.

They told me at the beginning, Kidman's character would die. I don't know why, it only lessens the value of her dying... whatever.

It was okay, worthwhile if you're bored and stoned.

6/10

Vanilla Sky (2001)

The American version of Open your Eyes (1997) of which I haven't seen and cannot comment on. Also both star Penelope Cruz, sexy. Anyways...

A rich guy learns that he can't have everything he wants in life and that treating other people like shit has repercussions. Who woulda thunk?

The movie then becomes more of a sci-fi and gets weird. There are some interesting small details and phrases that keep you hooked till the end, but then... what? Roger Ebert (that man hated every good film and loved every bad one, how am I not a critic...) said this film was an Escher Staircase. I'm pretty sure that man wouldn't have known an Escher Staircase if he walked through it one million times over. This movie is not that; self absorbed? Yes. Depressing? Yes. Well acted/scripted? Yes. Stellar cast? Check. Good movie/a mind fuck? Nope.

'They' say that you either really love this film or really hate it. I'm of the opinion that it was a bad movie executed very well with high production value. So while I hated it, I have to admit it was well done.

Therefore, I'm 50/50 on how I feel about this film, which garners the coveted, very mediocre score seen below:

5/10

The Peanut Butter Falcon

the “cherry hill is a place where they send prostitutes and drug addicts!” line coming from a good guy character was awkwardly hilarious for last night’s movie in the residential ward. feel good psuedo-indie tripe. better than our usual choices.

recently rewatched this masterpiece, must see movie this is.

This movie really creeps me out and makes me uncomfortable. It does a really good job at doing that while you experience a man losing his mind. It's insane that Christian Bale actually cut down that much weight for this movie. True method acting.

I watched "Anon" ( 2018 ) yesterday and it was not very good. It had a lot of promise but then fell into some majorly cliched writing and it just fell short. It is set in some kind of not-too-distant future where everyone is recording what they see through their eyes at all times and your eyes basically function as an augmented reality thing (where there are overlays over everything) and also as an interface, cpu, comms etc. It follows a homicide detective and he uses these systems to catch killers until one day they start finding homicides that have no trace, where some nefarious actor has hacked into and deleted these recordings.

The story is ultimately about privacy, security, anonymity etc and is a ham-fisted attempt to lay out the issues in a creative way. It's basically a derivative and shitty Black Mirror episode. It tries to be deep, but it lacks depth. Also the last bit of dialogue at the end between the main two characters is terrible; I imagine the director had an "oh shit" moment where he realized that maybe his target audience is too dumb to understand to get what he's trying to sell and so tacked on some really middle-school-essay-esque crap about privacy and why it's important. Eugh. With that said, the girl in it is pretty hot and the acting is not the worst I've ever seen?

3/10

Last edited:
Homefront (2013 ) <Netflix>

Yet another Jason Statham film, this time he's a retired undercover cop who moves to rural Louisiana to raise his daughter on his own (wife died or something). Movie opens with him inside a gang when the DEA comes down on everyone, he tries to arrest the head and his son, the son gets killed. Jump ahead to a new life in the Bayou, and he runs afoul of the local meth dealer played very well by James Franco. We do get our requisite fistfights and action sequences, but they are enough to prove characters, intent, and ability rather than being the main theme of the movie. Much more human side for a Statham role presented, and carried to better cinematic success. Mix in a crooked cop, payback from the original gang leader, and Wynona Rider as Franco's meth-head girlfriend (his sister is one too, but blond if that's more your thing). Central plot is trying to start over with his kid, but history repeats and catches up with him. Good flick. Not great, but good. Not on par with Transporter films for action, better than Redemption (reviewed earlier, also released in 2013). Overall 6.5/10.

Actually managed to watch the whole trilogy yesterday, worth the watch tbh - one of the better found footage films (apart from Grave Encounters and PA).

Start from the first one as if you just dive into the second or even third you'll be confused as hell.

Check the first two out on Prime free or the whole trilogy on Shudder.

I love found footage films and this is no exception. Been dying to see this for a while and it’s worth the watch! Some jump scares but it just gets creepier and creepier as you start noticing things in the background etc.

Watch if you can!

Interiors ( 1978 )

This was the most serious Woody Allen flick I've ever seen, and it was executed brilliantly. For once Roger Ebert and I agreed about a film heh.

There was none of the laughter or awkward humor here that we saw in Annie Hall or Manhattan in the years prior; instead, we get a serious look at a wealthy family that is coming apart at the seems due to both high expectations of their offspring and the splitting of the parents. Their kids, in their late 20s/early 30s, struggle to achieve the success their parents have, struggle to impress their parents, struggle to accept their father being well... a man.

The whole film is really just a shit ton of dialogue; arguments, both petty and egregious. The characters are so real, the acting so seamless, that I felt as if I could identify greatly with them. In my own life I've struggled to live up to what my parents did before me, struggled to understand them, watched as my wife's parents grew apart from one another eventually leading to a divorce... this film was so relatable it almost hurt. The 90 minute run time is almost too much, the film is so jam packed that you feel hard pressed to pause or stand up and feel as if you've just watched a 150 minute film instead.

The name was so apt too; the film focuses heavily on interior shots and close up dialogue. We see the 'interiors' of these people as they struggle and can't help but feel their pains.

An amazingly serious character study from the least serious of directors. I loved this movie.

8.5/10

Last edited:
I watched The Personal History of David Copperfield last night. Very very funny. Also one of those historical movies now doing race-blind casting. So half of Charles Dickens characters are black. Which is super weird at first because you have a black mother and a white son and an Asian father and a black daughter. You get used to it quickly though and it kind of adds to the film.

Another surprising watch. Enjoyed it as it was a different kind of exorcist film - kept you watching which was great.

Wow, my little thread is still going. *sheds a tear*

Singin' in the Rain (1952)
This is a one of those films that's included in so many 'best of' lists but I put it off forever. I suppose the genre 'classic musical' never inspired me much. It was colorful and quite entertaining, keeping my attention throughout and eliciting more than a few belly laughs. For a movie this old, it never felt dated, even though the plot centers around 'talkies being the cat's meow'. 4/5

Rebel Without a Cause (1955)
Talk about feeling dated, this one might as well have been a Victorian period drama. With older films, especially 60+ year old ones like this, I try to keep that in mind as a frame of reference. And I get it -- this film was challenging social norms of teenagers and their mental health, challenging the all-powerful paternal authority of the time. It must have caused quite the stir back in 1955. That being said, this film was overrated and the only saving grace was James Dean's acting (and even that was overly melodramatic at times). 2/5

Once Upon a Crime (1992)
A film directed by Eugene Levy, starring John Candy, John Belushi, and Cybill Shepherd? What could go wrong? Everything, apparently. There really isn't much to say here, other than it felt like it went on way too long. There was a chuckle or two, tops. Huge let down. 1/5

Suspiria (1977)
Definition of "all style, no substance". The plot was thin, the acting was eh, and the gore was cheesy. The colors tho: *chef's kiss*. It was the prettiest horror film I've seen. This is what I imagine what people mean when they talk about 'art house' films. You can feel the impact and influence this had on future horror films (read: every teenage slasher ever) and culture at large, especially the soundtrack. The aesthetic ultimately carries this film. 3/5

Status
Not open for further replies.