Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't read the books.
Don't watch the TV shows (except Mandalorian).
Not enough time. Too much to do.

You're probably right about him.
I'm talking about Canon Maul.

CG said:
Mace Windu

Mace Windu (in the films) wasn't even a character. He was a token Samuel L Jackson appearance. Hi literally ended up in that series of films because SLJ said he wanted to appear in some capacity.

You're fucking crazy if you think he was a great character.
No offense. (I am approaching this is as if it casual.)

Last edited:
Wife said I'm being a 'gatekeeper' so I'll stop -_- and she's right, people can like whatever sliver of Star Wars they want. I haven't read every novel or seen the Christmas Special or anything. I'm being a nerd-jackass and I'm sorry.

I haven't watched any novel films recently. It was an unfortunately busy past week for me.

Last edited:
Gladiator (2000)

This is a classic Ridley Scott film. Great soundtrack, cinematography, enthralling plot. It's a classic blockbuster. I hadn't watched it in years, was fun revisiting it.

8/10

Deep Red (1976)

I really enjoy the cinematography in these old Italian horror flicks. The gore is over the top and not real looking and that's fine by me. The way the camera moves is very riveting.

The plot was rather lacking, and I called it early on (pretty easy if you're paying attention), but I still enjoyed the ride. Soundtrack was off at times as was the subpar dubbing, but I still enjoyed it overall.

6/10

Alright, I simultaneously both loved and hated this movie, which has never really happened for me before. Love always trumps hate, so I highly suggest you watch it.

Loved: Everything you come to expect from a Nolan movie. A+ and excellently made, good actors and everything. The story is superb, a really cool idea and really catchy. Long movie, but definitely fills in it's shoes for that purpose. I have to give it to this movie. It's extremely ambitious and it does pull off what it set out to do. It's fun watching a movie go through forward time, backward time, backward time moving through forward time and forward time during backward time (yeah, I know, makes about as much sense as the movie). I wouldn't describe it was mind blowing, maybe it is to some people, to me it was just brain candy. This movie invents its own unique time travel paradoxes which I applaud. Also the name of the movie Tenet is a cute palindrome relating to the plot, clever. This is a movie that deserves a 2nd watch.. or 3rd... or pausing it every few minutes to ATTEMPT to understand what's going on. No matter how much I hated on this movie, the ending is brilliant and wraps up any confusion you have.... just kidding, but it does bring it all together! It's so good I can look past the massive black hole of plot holes it creates.

Hated: This entire movie is an extremely convoluted cluster fuck. All time travel movies are convoluted, but this one takes it to the next level. Now, I appreciate when movies take creative liberties on physics, reality, science etc... but this movie just doesn't make any sense really when it comes to the physics and time travel for that matter. Due to what it tries to achieve it creates a lot of inconsistencies. I feel like they may have been left in there, not as mistakes but for the purpose of making the movie actually watchable. If they made it more realistic I'm not sure a human brain could actually comprehend what is happening...

A long list of inconsistencies and plot breaking holes I noticed and the reasons I hated on the movie (MAJOR SPOILERS):
1. Why the FUCK does the future want to destroy the past... and/or the entire universe? Even if the grandfather paradox does not exist... what is their motive??? This is never explained.
2. Why the FUCK didn't the scientist who invented inversion just destroy the algorithm... why send it into the past, into nuclear facilities, to hide it?
3. How DID she hide it in the past... if she or someone took it into the past with inversion - how did they accomplish hiding it, how did they get out, or did they just continually travel backwards into infinity? Inversion wasn't invented, so I assume they were doomed.
4. How did the future contact Andrei in order to reassemble the algorithm? If it was hidden in the past, then there was no way to go back in time to retrieve it or contact Andrei.... I'm not even going to ask how an algorithm for time travel is stored within nuclear material...
5. How the fuck does the protagonist contact Singh the 2nd occasion in forward time after being inverted? Then everything continues in forward time after they went inverted... I guess they skip the scene where they go back through the turnstile, while in the past? He is 2 days behind future but travelling forward...(??)
6. It really pissed me off that the protagonist wants to save the girl (who he doesn't even love!!) at the possible cost of the destruction of the universe.... after being vetted by the government as such an elite operative tasked to save the universe at all costs...
7. Why do they only wear masks while outside in inversion, while travelling forward, then take it off? I assume the masks are because you can't breathe... (???) I was really confused about this one. (On the boat after talking to singh 2nd time)
and in the scene where the girl gets shot (time moving backwards) she screams in pain after being shot... which means she screamed in pain before being shot in that timeline which didn't make sense
8. Why do they never explain who these extra soldiers/operatives are who are aware of inversion and aid the protagonist and Neil???
9. Half way through the movie they seem to abandon the fact that inversion is inversion and converts to people who simply traveled backwards in time...
10. In the final battle, how does the Blue inverted strike team even know what their mission is if the world was destroyed before their mission??? To be travelling backwards to after destruction it assumes destruction never happened... !!?!?
11. How does Andrei know exactly when to call his goon while the Protagonist and Neil are at the gate and trying to destroy the algorithm after they had travelled to the past, and how did he know they would be trapped there?
12. Why did Volkov not shoot the protagonist immediately or vice versa, I did not see him lose his gun... ?? Instead waited for Andrei's order?
13. "I'll give your love to my wife"... "You're forgetting I haven't met her yet"... "after you meet her she dies"................ yes, you did... and no, you don't love her, and no she doesn't die!~?!@?!?!?!?
14. I am completely fucking lost at this point. There seems to be an infinite paradox that collapses on itself. A fractal of time travel. Both forward and backward, at the same time, seemingly whenever it is convenient to continue the plot.
15. Kat kills Andrei knowing his heart rate monitor will destroy the world if it goes off....lol wtf? ("I couldn't let him think he won... I wanted to fuck him over knowing the universe would explode if I did..." wow what a fucking scornful bitch! LMAO! This action in fact makes her just as evil as Andrei!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
16. Andrei also had an inverted version of himself..... where did he go?!?!?!?!
17. Probably the #1 thing that doesn't make sense is inversion itself... because in the movie its only partial inversion, just enough to make it cool and watchable without actually ruining the idea of it being impossible. Inversion is a cool idea, but is just that... a cool idea. It doesn't make ANY sense how they implemented it into the movie. Again all the inversion scenes are only partial inversion when they should be full inversion... because inversion makes ZERO fucking sense in reality, especially the way they depict it.

This movie makes it possible for someone to both simultaneously travel backward and forward in time at the same time......................... yeah I've done a lot of acid but even that I can't fathom

Overall there is just too much forward, backward, forward while backward, backward while forward time travel simultaneously for any of this movie to make sense. When it's happening at the same time they seem to only focus on one, again I understand to make this movie even watchable, but it kinda ruins it for me.

I could have written many more things that bothered be, but honestly I was exhausted.

...IGNORANCE IS OUR AMMUNITION MY FRIEND (lol)

Huge props to the movie for quoting one of my favorite poems!! "How the world ends... not with a bang, but a whimper..."

Last edited:

A really clever take on the genre. I think this movie should have got more attention. I really enjoyed it, great soundtrack, too. (Clint Mansell!)

There is a deeper meaning which isn't very obvious, see if you can find it. Take a step back from the micro and think about it from the macro, the basics of the story.

Last edited:

Could have become the next 'Scream' or 'Urban Legend' but was an enjoyable little slasher at an underground EDM music festival. If anyone manages to catch it sometime, it's worth the watch.

A really clever take on the genre. I think this movie should have got more attention. I really enjoyed it, great soundtrack, too. (Clint Mansell!)

There is a deeper meaning which isn't very obvious, see if you can find it. Take a step back from the micro and think about it from the macro, the basics of the story.

When I was in high school this movie had just come out, and I took an elective reading class about sci-fi; my teacher bought Moon on dvd and showed it to us, first time I'd seen it. Great film. Another teacher showed us Doctor Strangelove that same year, but I was already balls deep in a Kubrick kick by then.

Opera (1987)

Another Dario Argento giallo horror flick. This one was even worse than Deep Red plot wise, though I've noticed Argento's films tend not to be very plot centric but instead very visually exciting. His mastery of camera movement, scene transitions, set creation is all on display in this film. It was gorgeous...

But then there was the plot/dubbing/acting/soundtrack, which to be quite frank, ruined the film for me. At random times 80s metal music starts playing which is very out of place in this movie.

If you ever saw Perfect Blue (1997) it's pretty much the same plot, but Perfect Blue was a better execution (albeit, animated).

4/10 (for aesthetic reasons; otherwise a 2/10, as I barely kept myself from turning it off)

Chaos Walking. SO GOOD. Going to read the books now. It’s my idea of a romantic movie that I think both sexes can enjoy despite the feminist overtones. Could have had less animal killing though... I’m genuinely impressed by Spider-Man and Ray’s performance. Alternate title “what’s a guy got to do to get a kiss these days?!” 10/10 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Opera (1987)

Another Dario Argento giallo horror flick. This one was even worse than Deep Red plot wise, though I've noticed Argento's films tend not to be very plot centric but instead very visually exciting. His mastery of camera movement, scene transitions, set creation is all on display in this film. It was gorgeous...

But then there was the plot/dubbing/acting/soundtrack, which to be quite frank, ruined the film for me. At random times 80s metal music starts playing which is very out of place in this movie.

If you ever saw Perfect Blue (1997) it's pretty much the same plot, but Perfect Blue was a better execution (albeit, animated).

4/10 (for aesthetic reasons; otherwise a 2/10, as I barely kept myself from turning it off)
Big fan of Argento’s work - some films are hit and miss but his style is amazing.

This could have been a decent flick about the dark web and everything but ended up meh.

Big fan of Argento’s work - some films are hit and miss but his style is amazing.

I was never really into his stuff. "Tenebre" was pretty good, from what I remember..."Suspiria" was OK, but not all that it was cracked up to be IMO...and that's about it. I know that I've seen "Deep Red" because I enjoy 70's Italian thrillers/horror, and that's a pretty well-known one so I probably would've sought it out at some point, but I remember literally nothing about it, or even whether I liked it or not.

If anyone is interested in this type of film (sleazy wacky and/or stylized Italian suspense films from the 70's), I can definitely give some recommendations ;) I feel like I give too many recs in this thread but it's fun to nerd out on the topic of weird off-the-beaten-track movies

Last edited:
watched The Conjuring last night and The Conjuring Two right now. not my picks. i’m enjoying the creepy little girls. particularly sleep walking mackenzie foy.

better than the previous series we watched, The Purge. the younglings in residential do not have fine taste in film. one says she’ll get the safari icon back on my phone though.

all these big ass guys and no one can kick in a door.

Last edited:
watched The Conjuring last night and The Conjuring Two right now. not my picks. i’m enjoying the creepy little girls. particularly sleep walking mackenzie foy.

better than the previous series we watched, The Purge. the younglings in residential do not have fine taste in film. one says she’ll get the safari icon back on my phone though.

all these big ass guys and no one can kick in a door.
Thought the Conjuring films were pretty good. Can’t wait for the third one.

Have you seen any of the Insidious films? Actually decent horrors with some good scares.

The Scopia Effect (2014)

As a sci-fi horror film about a woman who experiences reincarnation while seemingly being conscious of it I thought this might be interesting. Unfortunately this film seemed to throw concepts at me without explaining any of the characters, including the main character; making it impossible to empathize/identify with her or to really care what happened.

It would've at least been better if there'd been a storyline. Instead this is a confusing film that tends to be alienating to the audience who's just sort of along for the ride. I won't give away the ending but it wouldn't matter if I did since it's one of those endings where the writers were probably like okay, we ran out of time. Make up your mind as to what this means. At least the acting was good

The Scopia Effect (2014)

As a sci-fi horror film about a woman who experiences reincarnation while seemingly being conscious of it I thought this might be interesting. Unfortunately this film seemed to throw concepts at me without explaining any of the characters, including the main character; making it impossible to empathize/identify with her or to really care what happened.

It would've at least been better if there'd been a storyline. Instead this is a confusing film that tends to be alienating to the audience who's just sort of along for the ride. I won't give away the ending but it wouldn't matter if I did since it's one of those endings where the writers were probably like okay, we ran out of time. Make up your mind as to what this means. At least the acting was good

mmm reminds me of several potentially amazing movies ruined by people who apparently couldn't fruit it into reality or limited by budget (?)

Mum & Dad (2008 )

Plot seems based upon real life serial killers Fred & Rosemary West*. I'll admit, the film probably was better than I felt it was, because I watched while reading the wiki on them which is many times worse than the film. The movie itself follows a young polish immigrant girl, working janitorial duties at an England airport who misses the bus and a co-worker offers to let her crash for the night. Well, the co-worker (Birdie) and her silent brother (Elbie) take them home to mum & dad. Upon entering the home, our lead 'Angel' is drugged, then awakens to find herself restrained and catching glimpses of dad killing someone in an adjoining room. The film revolves around this dysfunctional family, and Angel's efforts to stay alive in abiding their rules while looking for escape. There's a few more good bits of gore, and a somewhat infamous Christmas scene, and an odd twist of a young girl we don't discover until late in the film. The entire film is pretty much in the house with the dynamics of Bridie wanting to be the favorite child, mum & dad with their sadistic approach to family and nonchalance of torture and murder, Elbie being the semi-reluctant participant, and Angel as our connected character enduring unexpected hell. For gore, it's got some good stuff, but never felt over the top (though Xmas does make some queasy in viewing), for tension I never felt much (most likely due to my reading the wiki simultaneously), and for depth of plot I have explained it all. I suppose the main selling point was the fear, unexpected hell so close to everyday life, like anyone could be a fly in this venus flytrap. It's solid in that respect, but not spectacular, IMO. I'll give it a good 6.5/10, could definitely have been better but probably lost a point from me because of my distraction.

*Arrested on 10-12 murders, the horror and incest of the true West couple is astounding. Active roughly '67-87, but tracing back to West's own twisted childhood this is a reality beyond imagination. I won't get into the details. Those who have an interest in truly disturbing human actions can read up on the wiki and what they did. I'm not sure it could be made into a movie, certainly not without an X or XXX rating (and not just for the sex).

Status
Not open for further replies.