Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ I agree, I thought that was a pretty good one too.

It's a pretty dark movie, though, so unless you're into weird dark shit, I wouldn't recommend it necessarily. With that being said, for a low-budget horror film, it was definitely above-average...I was impressed particularly by the performances in it, as I remember (haven't seen it in a while)...the "mom and dad" villains were great, as was the actress who played the film's protagonist

I thought I was the only one who has seen it. You're right it is a pretty dark movie, and unless you're into weird dark shit I would recommend it lol.

"I'm mom, "He's dad"

"ahhhh that is smashing"

Just watched Shook on Shudder:

Have always liked these social media type films.

Anyway this was an effective wee ‘Unfriended’ type horror. Basic scares, twist, enjoyed it.

Available to stream on Shudder.

Last edited:
Melancholia (2011)

This is the only Lars von Trier film I've ever seen.

To be quite frank, it was terrible. It was a boring ass film. It dragged. I really came to hate Kirsten Dunst's character. It wasn't even sci-fi. The ending played at the beginning. The characters were self absorbed, loathsome. And to be honest, it didn't even really leave an impression on me; my wife had to remind me what I had watched a mere few hours later.

Dunst has gorgeous breasts though. Quite the babe.

4/10 (at least it was aesthetically pleasing, and the Wagner soundtrack wasn't bad)

Carnage (2011)

Roman Polanski finally achieves what he's been so keen on doing all these years; at 75, he finally figured it out. Christoph Waltz, Kate Winslet, Jody Foster, and John C. Reilly are the only four actors in this amazingly apt film about neighbors and parenthood. The film takes place entirely in one small apartment in New York (well done CGI in the windows, way better than Polanski's 90s New York in The Ninth Gate heh), capturing the essence of so many of his prior films, but doing it so much better.

It's humorous, true to life, fast paced (80 minutes!), and an entertaining study of cramped society and parental pride. I laughed heartily throughout.

8/10

Last edited:
Possessor (2020 / Brandon Cronenberg)

Cronenberg Jr.'s second feature length film is much better than his first. Unfortunately, the plot doesn't make a lot of sense and there is too much gore for the sake of gore... but Possessor has a lot of other stuff going for it.

7/10

Freaky (2020)

You know those body-swap films from the 90's where a father and son are put in each other's bodies and they have to live a day in the life of the other person. This is a slasher body-swap film. Vince Vaughn (a brutal murderer) swaps with a young girl.

It's a great concept, but it doesn't work as well as it should. Vince does a good/bad impersonation of a girl. The casting is good. But, there's a particular scene with Vaughn in a car that should have been cut. You will know it when you see it.

6/10

This is the only Lars von Trier film I've ever seen.

To be quite frank, it was terrible. It was a boring ass film. It dragged. I really came to hate Kirsten Dunst's character. It wasn't even sci-fi. The ending played at the beginning. The characters were self absorbed, loathsome. And to be honest, it didn't even really leave an impression on me; my wife had to remind me what I had watched a mere few hours later.
Agreed, terrible film. The Kirsten Dunst / Pacey from Dawson's Creek episode of The Outer Limits was much better (there is some similarity in terms of story). It's called Music Of The Spheres if you're interested.

Aside from Kirsten Dunst moon tanning, melancholia sucked and I would recommend staring at a blank screen over watching it.

Upside Down was really good. Two worlds with opposing gravitational fields, one wealthy, the other a ghetto whose inhabitants are downtrodden by those 'up top'. Looks good, very dreamlike in concept and appearance. Dark in all the right places, but rich in colour at times too. Has this blueish 'modern French' look I like.

Also Kirsten Dunst.

The Outer Limits was much better (there is some similarity in terms of story). It's called Music Of The Spheres if you're interested
Probably did watch it, I binged through the 90s reboot last year when it was all on Prime.

Dunst's boobs really were the only part of that film worth watching lol

It's not episode 8 that caught flack from me... it's episodes 7, 8, and 9 lol.

They were utter shite and as a devout Star Wars fan I just pretend they didn't happen. They can't even reboot/remake them because most of the actors have already declared they wouldn't return to Star Wars. Most embarrassing reboot ever...
I hear that. I just disagree. To me there was nothing about them that was really even a true departure from the films that were previously released. All of it was par for the course for a Star Wars movie. They probably could've had a better story but imo it's of a similar quality to any other Star Wars.

Reactions: Ds
deficiT said:
They probably could've had a better story but imo it's of a similar quality to any other Star Wars.

No. The films didn't even work together to form a coherent overall narrative arc across the trilogy. The plots of the films were either derivative or incomprehensible. The emperor is alive now? Seriously?

The sequel trilogy sucked. If you think they were about the same quality as the original, you fail to see the quality of the original films.

No. The films didn't even work together to form a coherent overall narrative arc across the trilogy. The plots of the films were either derivative or incomprehensible. The emperor is alive now? Seriously?

The sequel trilogy sucked. If you think they were about the same quality as the original, you fail to see the quality of the original films.
Dude it's a space opera. I don't see what's so hard to understand about the plot lol... it's a crew of characters getting into adventures and battling evil. It's really not that serious. Star Wars is light hearted and meant to be enjoyed, it's not Oscar worthy filmmaking.

Dawg don't you question how much I like Star Wars I've been watching the shit since I was a child.

deficiT said:
I don't know how you're confused about a villain returning and surviving a fall in a universe where people shoot lightning out of their fingers

He didn't survive the fall. He is a clone. You are confused.

Beyond that, every universe has it's own rules.

Star Wars has started doing the cheesy Days of Our Lives thing where they bring back dead characters with some flimsy excuse. "Why Marley, I thought you died when you fell down that elevator shaft?" to which the writers come up with some utter bullshit to justify bringing back a fan favourite instead of actually writing something new?

They've done this again with Darth Maul and others.

It creates a problem: death is now meaningless in a saga about life and death.

Is Han Solo still alive? Probably.
What about Anakin?

The series is meaningless now.

But, that's just one problem with the plots of the sequel films.

All three individual plots are garbage, particularly 8 & 9.

I realize I'm doubling with posts here about a series of films featuring characters wielding light swords. I wouldn't be doubling down if I didn't care about these films. Hell, I wouldn't give a shit about the sequel trilogy if I didn't love the originals.

General Grievous was a great character, because he was fragile. The power of the force (along with future technology) is capable of keeping you alive to keep fighting for the empire. That is cool.

But now we have had at least three villains unquestionably die on screen recently. You've got - at least - Vader, Maul, the Emperor and Fett... There is no reason now to bring back Vader, but I actually really don't want to see him either. His resurrection in Squad Falcon or whatever the fuck that film was called, it was like any other reboot. Vader and the Emperor were both introduced for their fanboy status, not because it made sense to include them organically.

How many villains can die now without thinking, "well, maybe they aren't dead?"

It's a cheap gimmick, designed for soulless franchised corporations.

For the record, I didn't enjoy the fact they brought Palpatine back either. They could've been better but they were still entertaining. The clone thing isn't really even mentioned in the movie, and only was confirmed through the novel. A clone body would still be carrying the Emperors soul or whatever, so take that as it is, surviving a fall, cloning, whatever he's still alive in a body and survived the events of episode 6.

The series isn't meaningless now. It was bought out by a massive media company that wants to pump as much money out of it as it can. They have had some success apart from the main installments, ie. Mandalorian, Rogue One. If anything the series is just getting started and likely they'll be putting out good material to wipe the slate clean for all of the disappointed fanboys.

the-battery-featured.jpg

The Battery (2012)

It's about 2 former baseball players with very different personalities and priorities traveling across New England during a zombie outbreak. It's far better than most of the other zombie movies out there; really liked it allot. Relies allot more on character dialog and interaction than it does on zombie killing.

Parallel 2018
About a group of friends who find a mirror in the basement of a house they recently moved into that leads to similar parallel universes and end up using it to their advantage to gain a leg up in their careers. I enjoyed but it was nothing special; there are better movies out there with similar concepts.

They've done this again with Darth Maul and others.
Woah woah woah bro...

Darth Maul and the prequels/shoot-off tv series were what SAVED Star Wars. I remember when I was a kid and I wanted Boba Fett to survive episode six, which seemed plausible given he's a Mandalorian with a jetpack. Then Episode One came out and renewed Star Wars with the coolest of cool villains, even having his awesome theme music composed by John Williams (Battle of Fates). To this day, Maul's character has inspired a SHIT ton of stuff and he's honestly my favorite character in the whole series aside from Kenobi and Mace Windu.

It creates a problem: death is now meaningless in a saga about life and death.
This has been true since episode 4(1). Kenobi takes the fall to save Luke and the others and yet his spirit remains.

The original trilogy was a joke, the prequels were lacking, but out of the sad darkness came Darth Maul, one of the only force sensitive characters to stay alive past the Clone Wars (sorry guys, spoilers) and his story is a gruesome horrific one. They could make an entire tv series about him and Kenobi hunting each other over the decades. Much of this is covered in the animated 'kids' series (read: not only for kids!)

Darth Maul is a terrible villain. He has no personality. No lines of dialogue and he's basically just a Star Trek villain in terms of make-up.

Obi-Wan dying was symbolic and mysterious. His death didn't ruin anything.

Whereas Darth Maul proves you can just chop anybody into pieces and put them back together again.

Darth Maul is a terrible villain. He has no personality. No lines of dialogue and he's basically just a Star Trek villain in terms of make-up.

Obi-Wan dying was symbolic and mysterious. His death didn't ruin anything.

Whereas Darth Maul proves you can just chop anybody into pieces and put them back together again.
I'm sorry you don't like Star Wars TV shows, you're missing out :( most people skip over the tv shows though, I don't know why.

No lines of dialogue
He has plenty. But again if you skip huge chunks of the saga/lore I can see why you'd assume that.

Status
Not open for further replies.