Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know that, but am not surprised in the least. You're dead on regarding critics being biased against horror :\ I kinda hope 'averages' on imdb (like rotten tomatoes) are more general public than real critics, as real critics have minimal connection to what real people like, IME.

They are but I'm always SUPER weary of new movies that only have a couple dozen reviews as some very shitty movies have like 6+ ratings because friends, family, crew etc all give it 10.

Guns Akimbo (2019) - 4.5 Dick Shots - really enjoyed this! With Daniel Radcliffe and Samara Weaving. Super impressed with her atm, this is the 6th movie I've seen her in and they've all been really good. You could describe this movie as Scott Pilgrim meets The Running Man. It's actually better going in to it not knowing much about the plot, but definitely give it a watch, it's really fun.

I didn't know that, but am not surprised in the least. You're dead on regarding critics being biased against horror :\ I kinda hope 'averages' on imdb (like rotten tomatoes) are more general public than real critics, as real critics have minimal connection to what real people like, IME.
That's what's irksome, is they usually link the Metacritic score page too, and critics are always so fucking off... like Roger Ebert, the most famous of famous critics, we disagree on most all of my favorite films. Like I said, film is subjective, and like you said, 'we' aren't average lol.

I like rotten tomatoes for general public averages. They're usually a little closer.

Fact of the matter is, my favorite films require second viewings due to complex plots, and that's probably not something the average film viewer cares for.

I re-watched Jackie Brown yesterday, easily Tarantino's least gory flick of all, and an amazing film full of social commentary. I love Tarantino's 'strong' female leads like Pam Grier and Umma Thurman. Such an underrated flick full of great music. The man is an artist, he lost it a bit in Django and Hateful Eight, but Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood really blew me away. Been watching it over and over lately.

That's what's irksome, is they usually link the Metacritic score page too, and critics are always so fucking off... like Roger Ebert, the most famous of famous critics, we disagree on most all of my favorite films. Like I said, film is subjective, and like you said, 'we' aren't average lol.

I like rotten tomatoes for general public averages. They're usually a little closer.

Fact of the matter is, my favorite films require second viewings due to complex plots, and that's probably not something the average film viewer cares for.

I re-watched Jackie Brown yesterday, easily Tarantino's least gory flick of all, and an amazing film full of social commentary. I love Tarantino's 'strong' female leads like Pam Grier and Umma Thurman. Such an underrated flick full of great music. The man is an artist, he lost it a bit in Django and Hateful Eight, but Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood really blew me away. Been watching it over and over lately.
i always wanted to see jackie brown i use to always check the libary when i would go

i agree,
i seen a old epaode of siskil and ebert review candy man and the skinny guy ( siskil) said candyman looks like hes wearing a pimp coat n stuff kinda racist shit, and he hated the movie

I really like "Django Unchained", in fact that may be Tarantino's best film IMO. DiCaprio was robbed for a best supporting actor nomination for his role in that film, robbed!

Guns Akimbo (2019) - 4.5 Dick Shots - really enjoyed this! With Daniel Radcliffe and Samara Weaving. Super impressed with her atm, this is the 6th movie I've seen her in and they've all been really good. You could describe this movie as Scott Pilgrim meets The Running Man. It's actually better going in to it not knowing much about the plot, but definitely give it a watch, it's really fun.
I saw only the second half of this movie, but it was really good!

Save Yourselves! (2020)

A great indie sci-fi and a nostalgic journey through memory lane, revisiting various absurd creature films from my childhood. Imperfect, but (more importantly) there is a reasonable balance of genre pandering to genuinely surprising moments.

John Waters isn't a great director, but he understood the value of breaking the rules. The latest Star Wars films are the epitome of safe bullshit. Even when they pretended to take chances, there was nothing at stake. Han Solo died because Ford insisted he died. Leia died because Carrie Fisher died.

Maybe Disney allowed them to take some chances, but they had to justify it every step of the way.

Save Yourselves has more potential than the budget allows. I totally understand if you hate it, but (for me) it worked.

7/10 (It's probably a 6 without bias.)

Tenet (2020)

I don't like Christopher Nolan.

I loved Memento and I loved The Prestige. With "The Dark Knight trilogy" I became less and less interested in Nolan.

Batman Begins was better than the other two films because (at that point) Nolan didn't live inside his own asshole so he was still capable of making a film that's not repulsively pretentious.

He is a truly talented film-maker.

Before critical acclaim ruined his mind, he was a genius.

I feel like - by the time Tenet came along - he had absolute creative control. Although Interstellar and Inception definitely lead to this point, I can sense that this is the point he became infallible. In my mind, nobody questions anything throughout the entire shooting process.

In Tenet, there is a massive failure to live up to the concept... The Prestige felt like a story that revolved around a concept. Tenet is the other way round.

None of the characters behave like any humans that I have ever met.

Robert Pattinson is more charming than John David Washington: who is the protagonist of the film, has no personality, and is called "Protagonist".

At least Pattinson's character has a personality.

If you imagine a character called Protagonist, there's a high chance he's more interesting than Protagonist. He is emotionless. He is aloof.

The dialogue is massively expositional.

Michael Caine's casting is token Nolan and nothing more at this point. I liked him in Interstellar. I liked him in the Prestige. Now, he is just Johnny Depp (or Helena Bottom Carter) sucking Timbo's dick.

It's a shame because if this was Nolan's second film, maybe it would have received the careful attention that Memento received. The man is a broken genius and this is a broken film.

4/10 (generous)

Extra Ordinary (2019)

Will Forte is a guilty pleasure.

This Irish indie comedy horror is sure to please anyone who is still reading this. Rose (the protagonist) is a great character and the guy who plays Martin Martin does really well too. Nice to see a genuinely funny silly European genre film. This would be much worse if it came out of Hollywood.

8/10 (Fuck you. I like this film.)

The King of Staten Island (2020)

Judd Apatow moves on to yet another young generation from the SNL crowd, this time capitalizing on Pete Davidson.

I find it difficult to like Davidson. It's not his face (but it doesn't help) and it's not because he isn't funny. It just seems like there's nothing going for him at all. He doesn't justify his existence on the screen.

I found Bill Burr funny and likeable in this film. I'm not always a huge fan of Burr. I don't think it's a personal bias thing. I just really don't like Pete Davidson.

Back in 2005/2007, Apatow directed two great comedies. Since then, his films have descended in quality as time goes on. The King of Staten Island is no exception. It is his worst film.

I don't want to see Apatow (or any other clown) force drama from their pores. I can do without the tear jerking / sad clown shit when I'm watching a comedy, unless it's expertly done. If it flows, fine. If you are Robin Williams and you want to do a horror movie, you get an exemption.

This film works more as a drama than a comedy, but it doesn't work very well as either. Marisa Tomei is great, as usual. But that doesn't make the film great.

5/10 (generous)

Last edited:
I haven't saw a good movie in the last 3 fuckin years, Saint Maud it's so mediocre -- it had a potential to avoid cliches but waw, amazing. Still I didn't cry that I wasted my snacks on the movie, it was acceptable.

Just started watching Nomadland on Hulu.

Seems like it will be a good watch!

"An Easy Girl" (available on US Netflix) (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9632590/) - very good. Rather simple, but very good movie. I guess it is about teenage girl looking for ways to grow into adulthood.

- TV series. But it is in Russian. Maybe you can find subtitles in English. It is superb. About a group of four women fighting environment to carve out space to be themselves.

Shutter Island (2010)

Scorsese tries to do what Christopher Nolan did so much better before him. Great acting from DiCaprio, but a one watch film. Mild references to things Scorsese probably doesn't know shit about. He needs to stick to gangster flicks and documentaries... Hugo and Shutter Island.... so meh.

Good enough to sit through once, then the ending really just rips any reviewability out of it.

6/10

Les Diaboliques (1955)

I always think back on pre-60s America/the West as being very... Victorian, uptight I guess you could say. This French film helped to dash those thoughts along with some Alfred Hitchcock films I've watched recently.

A wife and a mistress conspire to kill their mutual lover... only things do not go quite as planned. Very plot-twisty and worth the two hour run time. Cinematography was gorgeous all things considered. I can see why this film has stood the test of time.

Not gonna blow the film by telling y'all the twists, suffice to say it's like an early Nolan film, but 40+ years before he ever even conceived the concept of making a movie.

8/10

Gran Torino ( 2008 )

A grumpy, racist old man with PTSD from his time in Korea gets used to having neighbors from South Vietnam. He learns that his racist ways are wrong through... getting to know his neighbors? Woah!

It bothered me how much I identified with Eastwood's character though. I guess I'm sorta a 'stay off my fuckin' lawn' type but it doesn't matter to me what color you are... stay off my lawn!

Pandering and meandering, the film wasn't engrossing but was enjoyable enough to watch once.

5/10

Having just watched this per the comments in this thread, the "4.5 Dick Shots" makes a lot more sense.

I'm afraid I probably didn't approach this with the right mindset. First half watched one evening while playing on my phone, second as I was distracted surfing sites like this one. It came off like a game, which makes sense given the context, but I wasn't able to enjoy the humor as much as I'm sure they intended (blame my distractedness). Samara Weaving was a nice watch, and Radcliffe as our lead held his own very well. But the rest...meh. I'd give the depth of story about a 3/10, but the action and explosions help raise the score. Being in a right mindframe and giving the film the attention it deserved would help it more. I'll end it with a 6.5/10 but not much more. Colorful, fun romp with a decent attempt at a storyline without making you invest a lot of yourself into any of it.

Judas and the black messiah. Very well done. I hope it revitalizes black activists and re-educates some of the youth, (other than the violence). I found it really interesting they had confederate folks as part of the rainbow coalition- awesome to hear about that sort of solidarity among the poor and working class, not to mention the unity of dueling street gangs. Wish we had that kind of unity today.

Also, glad it painted the narc in the pussilanimous light he deserves rather than how he was portrayed in earlier films

Mom and Dad.

It's a UK movie, I highly recommend it. NOT the one with Nicholas Cage & Selma Blair.

^ I agree, I thought that was a pretty good one too.

It's a pretty dark movie, though, so unless you're into weird dark shit, I wouldn't recommend it necessarily. With that being said, for a low-budget horror film, it was definitely above-average...I was impressed particularly by the performances in it, as I remember (haven't seen it in a while)...the "mom and dad" villains were great, as was the actress who played the film's protagonist

Status
Not open for further replies.